Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,266 Members 40,386 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Potential GPS fix for P769?

Tip us?

shivwest
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Potential GPS fix for P769?

Hi all,

I am currently using AntonX's unofficial CM11 for the P769, and its great except that like CM10.2 seems to be broken. In CM10.1 it worked perfectly and same with the stock ROM as well. So I decided to pull a few files from the stock Jellybean ROM and create a flashable zip that installs the old files that have to do with GPS. It seems to work pretty well as I was able to get a pretty good fix from a cold start in less than a minute using device only location settings, but it doesn't seem to work nearly as well as CM10.1 and stock. Does anybody have any ideas on how to fix this problem (I have already tried using different gps.conf files to no avail)?

Attached below is a screenshot of my latest GPS fix in less than a minute and the flashable zip that I created.

Thanks!

GPSFix.zip

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-01-27-18-24-46.png
Views:	501
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	2543229

AntonX
Old
Thanks Meter 1021

DONATE TO ME
I think your files are the same as the ones already in the ROM.

What's wrong with GPS in CM10.2 or CM11 anyway? It never fails me, I always get a fix within a minute, even on a cold start.

As far as I remember GPS in CM10.1 was a little strange. I think I noticed that sometimes GPSTest was showing yellow bars but accuracy was in hundreds of feet, which actually indicated not a good lock. I may be wrong though, been a while.

shivwest
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Still a Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonX View Post
I think your files are the same as the ones already in the ROM.

What's wrong with GPS in CM10.2 or CM11 anyway? It never fails me, I always get a fix within a minute, even on a cold start.

As far as I remember GPS in CM10.1 was a little strange. I think I noticed that sometimes GPSTest was showing yellow bars but accuracy was in hundreds of feet, which actually indicated not a good lock. I may be wrong though, been a while.
Yeah I think you're right that they're the same files because I was testing GPS again today and it would lock for maybe a second and then if I even moved, it would instantly drop. But this problem is definitely here because on CM10.1 and stock I would instantly have about 13-14 satellites in view, and be able to lock to about 7-9 of them in seconds, whereas now it takes about 1-2 minutes to get 10-12 satellites in view and lock to just five which instantly lose lock when the device is moved about 10ft. This is using the device only method of getting GPS so there is no use of wifi or cell signals to get the location because I have very spotty coverage. I just wanted to point this problem out as I've noticed it on other ROMs too such as BobZHome's CM11.0 and leolawliet's PenberRom5 which is also based on 10.2. Other than this little problem the ROM has been great and I thank you for your work AntonX!

mato_d007
Old
Thanks Meter 578

DONATE TO ME
On my P778g, i also noticed a diference between CM10.1.3 and CM10.2/CM11. But after some testing comparing to stock (my father has another p778 with stock rom) i discovered that the only diference is the signal strength: Under a clear sky the GPS works exactly the same but inside a house the roof is too much and the signal seems to be too weak, so it takes a lot more time to fix compared to stock. Keeping in mind that i never use the GPS inside my house this is not a big deal after all. I bet that no one is testing the GPS outside... try it.

leolawliet
Old
Thanks Meter 1055
If it wasn't winter and I paid my phone bill I'd be happy to go out now and test the GPS on my p769. I'm running omnirom tho, and I don't think it's cm based so I could have different results.

I'll post back here when I get a chance. By the way, the GPS on AOKP wasn't any better.

Sent from my LG Optimus L9 running OmniROM using Tapatalk
Current device: NVIDIA Project Shield

ROM: Stock KitKat 4.4.2

My work:

Quote:
- E739 -
PenberRom1 - CM7 mod
PenberRom2 - PA+AOKP+CM9 mod
LeoDexed - Modded Stock ROM

- P769 -
PenberRom5 - twinnfamous' PACrom JB 4.3.1 with my tweaks + mods
CMX - My modded cm-10.2 ROM from source. Installer is AROMA based.

- Tweaks-
egl patch - Disable CPU Rendering + older build.prop tweaks
Codename LightningBolt - A set of tweaks I put together