Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,698 Members 50,167 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Nook Color won't boot without SD Card

Tip us?

noooker
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Nook Color won't boot without SD Card

I know there is a lot of information out here about the nook color not being able to boot but none of it seems to fix this issue. I was trying to upgrade my nook from cyanogenmod 7.2 to cyanogenmod 10.2. I used Rom Manager on the device and downloaded the new ROM. Everything was fine until I told it to install. The nook went to reboot and I was presented with a black screen. I couldn't get it to do anything and I thought it was dead forever. I then installed a bootable ROM on my SD card and was able to get it to boot from the SD card. I have attempted to install several different versions onto the EMMC but none will boot. When I reboot the nook it just goes to a black screen and sits there, even with the SD card in it. This is the only sequence that allows me to get my nook color to boot from an sd card:
1) Hold the "n" and power buttons for 30 seconds (I think this forces it to power down)
2) Push and hold power button for a few seconds.

If I do this with a bootable SD card installed the nook boots the SD card. If I do this without the SD card installed I just get a black screen. I have tried many things from many threads here. I have tried fixing partitions, installing new ROMS and other things but nothing seems to work. I know the nook is not bricked because I can boot it from the SD card. I think the boot partition may be the issue. When I am booted from the SD card I can mount all partitions except "/boot". Should I be able to mount this partition?

I just need to know how to get my nook back to a state where it will boot without the SD card inserted. I know how to create a bootable SD card and install zips.

Very frustrated at this point, guidance that anyone can give would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks.

leapinlar
Old
(Last edited by leapinlar; 31st January 2014 at 01:02 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3546

DONATE TO ME
You said you tried fixing partitions. How did you do that and what were the results? Were you using my partition repair zips from my partition repair thread linked in my signature?

And ROM Manager assumes you have a correct version of CWM installed on internal memory. It is best not to use that tool. It is way outdated. It is best to install ROMs manually with CWM.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium HD app
See my Nook Color Tips Thread here,
and my Nook Color EMMC Partition Repair Thread here,
and my Nook Color Updated CM SD Installation Instructions here,
and my Nook HD/HD+ stock tips thread here
and my Nook HD/HD+ CWM Root Tools thread here
e.mote's Nook HD/HD+ Dummies Guide for installing CM10.1/CM10.2/CM11 here

JeanLucGuitar
Old
(Last edited by JeanLucGuitar; 31st January 2014 at 01:31 AM.) Reason: posted in wrong thread, sorry
Thanks Meter 0
deleted post

noooker
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Partitoning did not seem to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinlar View Post
You said you tried fixing partitions. How did you do that and what were the results? Were you using my partition repair zips from my partition repair thread linked in my signature?

And ROM Manager assumes you have a correct version of CWM installed on internal memory. It is best not to use that tool. It is way outdated. It is best to install ROMs manually with CWM.

Yes I have done 2 out of the 3 zips you have on your post. 1) NookColor-emmc-repair-partitions-1-4-5-6-7-8.zip and 2)NookColor-emmc-format-partitions-5-6-7-8.zip. I did not do the partition 2 zip as it looked like it may cause more problems. However, I'm not sure it could get much worse.

Today I ran the RecoveryFix.zip from this post --> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=958748
No Help. Same issue, I reboot and nothing but a black screen. I have to do the 2 steps I described in my original post to get the SD card to boot. Is there a way I can see what is on the nook partitions? These tools allow me to copy zip files but there is nothing that allows me to look around on the nooks internal partitions. What does the nook need to boot without the SD card. It seems there must be something partially working because I can get the SD card to boot...

Thanks I advance for your help.

noooker
Old
(Last edited by noooker; 31st January 2014 at 06:45 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Need to fix internal hard drive...

Ok, so now I'm pretty sure it's just my internal memory that is screwed up. I installed CM 7.2 on an SD card and now my nook color is running from the SD card. But if I take the SD card out and try to reboot all I get is a black screen(Not even a flash or anything when hitting the power button). So right not the only thing my nook can do is boot from the SD card.

How can I fix the internal memory??

leapinlar
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3546

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by noooker View Post
Ok, so now I'm pretty sure it's just my internal memory that is screwed up. I installed CM 7.2 on an SD card and now my nook color is running from the SD card. But if I take the SD card out and try to reboot all I get is a black screen(Not even a flash or anything when hitting the power button). So right not the only thing my nook can do is boot from the SD card.

How can I fix the internal memory??
Try flashing the repair partition 2 zip. It has protections built in to prevent further damage.

Then go to my NC tips thread linked in my signature and return to stock via item A15. Be sure to flash the format zip listed there too. Then you should be able to start over.

noooker
Old
(Last edited by noooker; 1st February 2014 at 05:40 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Repair Partiton 2 failed

Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinlar View Post
Try flashing the repair partition 2 zip. It has protections built in to prevent further damage.

Then go to my NC tips thread linked in my signature and return to stock via item A15. Be sure to flash the format zip listed there too. Then you should be able to start over.

Ok, I think I may have totally screwed this nook up. I found some other repartition//format zips that I ran trying to fix the problem. Now I can't even run from the SD card. It tries to boot but I get an error and it fails. I tried to run your repairpartition2.zip file but it did not work. This is the output:

E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_install
E:failed to open last_instal: no such file or directory
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Installing update...
Repair /rom partition (P2)
Checking for /factory - if ot found will return error message and repair will be aborted.
assert failed:mount("ext2", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p3", /factory") == "/factory"
E:Error in /sdcard/NookColor-emmc-repair-partition-2.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

I've also noticed that it cannot mount any of the partitions from the booted SD card any more. I'm seeing
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/log and other errors

I think one of the other .zips I ran screwed things up even more. Am I now screwed up past the point of no return? I have very good unix knowledge but very little android knowledge. Is there anything I can do with the adb utility to help here.

Thanks for all your suggestions so far. It seems like I need to redo this thing from scratch and need some guidance on how to do it.

More Info: Now when booted from SD card I cannot mount "/boot", "/system", "/data", "/emmc" or "/cache" partitions. I wish I could get a shell and look around on the rom...

leapinlar
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3546

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by noooker View Post
Ok, I think I may have totally screwed this nook up. I found some other repartition//format zips that I ran trying to fix the problem. Now I can't even run from the SD card. It tries to boot but I get an error and it fails. I tried to run your repairpartition2.zip file but it did not work. This is the output:

E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_install
E:failed to open last_instal: no such file or directory
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Installing update...
Repair /rom partition (P2)
Checking for /factory - if ot found will return error message and repair will be aborted.
assert failed:mount("ext2", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p3", /factory") == "/factory"
E:Error in /sdcard/NookColor-emmc-repair-partition-2.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

I've also noticed that it cannot mount any of the partitions from the booted SD card any more. I'm seeing
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/log and other errors

I think one of the other .zips I ran screwed things up even more. Am I now screwed up past the point of no return? I have very good unix knowledge but very little android knowledge. Is there anything I can do with the adb utility to help here.

Thanks for all your suggestions so far. It seems like I need to redo this thing from scratch and need some guidance on how to do it.
That error message says your factory partition is gone and it contained info there that is vital and un-retreivable. You might be able to rebuild your partitions but some ROMs will never run without that backup info from /factory (partition 3). You just got too aggressive with your partition repairs.