5,594,653 Members 33,211 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] New g2 (vs980) user. Feel me in!

Tip us?

ANTLAY
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Also is it safe (if I ever decided to) reboot into twrp and wipe cache/dalvik on stock rom?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

doublej713
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANTLAY View Post
Also is it safe (if I ever decided to) reboot into twrp and wipe cache/dalvik on stock rom?

It's safe. A few times i ended up with the persistent "android is upgrading" message on every boot, but I'm pretty sure that was more from the mods i was trying. Really bad luck with flashing, can't tell you how many times i perform the Verizon return to stock procedure. Thought i actually bricked it once, but saved it. You are right about the gnex, unbrickable. I kept it as my insurance in case I ever actually brick this (they even have a fully functioning kitkat for it free of graphics glitches).

As far as g2 xposed, it can modify most anything you could want to, not to mention there are other mods for the xposed framework. I also never knew about it before my g2. You can modify the nav bar (height, # buttons, assign buttons, color, glow, get rid of it), modify the status bar (hide system icons, prevent certain notifications, change time/date format) and many other things. Costs $1 for all the features (worth it), free for some. A new version was just uploaded to the play store today. If you just install it, it will walk you through getting the xposed framework.

ANTLAY
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
The first part of your post alone makes me want to leave it alone, lol I'll probably do the hotspot mod and be done for the time being, lol

doublej713
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANTLAY View Post
The first part of your post alone makes me want to leave it alone, lol I'll probably do the hotspot mod and be done for the time being, lol

Yeah, reading it again it does sound pretty bad. Just so you know, i was trying to keep with the stock os (not even a custom rom based on the stock os). I think you are fine if the very first thing you flash is a custom rom.

player911
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 876

DONATE TO ME
I came from a long line of Nexus devices and the stock rom is awesome FWIW.

Just root and install Xposed G2 Settings. Change the DPI from 480 > 400 too. Much better.
LG G2 - Modded Stock
Nexus 7 FHD - Jelly Bean 4.4.2 [CM Kang Banged]
HTC Touch Pro►HTC Touch Diamond 2►Nexus One►LG G2x►HTC Rezound►Galaxy NexusLG G2!
iPad►iPad2►Asus TransformerGalaxy Tab 7 [CM10]Nook►Nook TabletNexus 7Nexus 7 FHD!

[Site Owner] MiiWiiChat.com - Free Chat for your Wii
[Site Owner] SnapSite Admins.com - Free Custom Website

Like what I do? - Donations welcome or hit the Thanks button!

shriom_manerker
Old
Thanks Meter 662
im taking the leap to g2 tomorrow from my current gnex i still didnt quiet understand this "lokified" term. so lokified is a kernel/rom that we can flash ? is there anything called unlockified or nonlockified ? im a little lost, plz assist me if its not so much trouble
__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Galaxy Nexus
Click "Thanks" if i helped
For More Social Interactions join these Facebook Groups(join only if u hav these phones)
Samsung Galaxy SL
https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalaxySLGROUP/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/NexusPrime/

player911
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 876

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by shriom_manerker View Post
im taking the leap to g2 tomorrow from my current gnex i still didnt quiet understand this "lokified" term. so lokified is a kernel/rom that we can flash ? is there anything called unlockified or nonlockified ? im a little lost, plz assist me if its not so much trouble
Loki is just the hack used to root I think. Its a script that does the work on your device. I think we need Loki enabled recoveries that can use and utilize the script.

I came from a Galaxy Nexus too. Its a tad different, since you root first, then install recovery. Root requires running a bat file from your PC where it copies the Loki script. Recovery is downloaded and flashed with FreeGee from the Play Store.

But honestly, like I said before, the stock ROM is pretty amazing. Gots lots of bells and whistles no found on AOSP ROMs. If I flashed anything it would be a Flex ROM only because its like Stock+.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
LG G2 - Modded Stock
Nexus 7 FHD - Jelly Bean 4.4.2 [CM Kang Banged]
HTC Touch Pro►HTC Touch Diamond 2►Nexus One►LG G2x►HTC Rezound►Galaxy NexusLG G2!
iPad►iPad2►Asus TransformerGalaxy Tab 7 [CM10]Nook►Nook TabletNexus 7Nexus 7 FHD!

[Site Owner] MiiWiiChat.com - Free Chat for your Wii
[Site Owner] SnapSite Admins.com - Free Custom Website

Like what I do? - Donations welcome or hit the Thanks button!

The Following User Says Thank You to player911 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

shriom_manerker
Old
Thanks Meter 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by player911 View Post
Loki is just the hack used to root I think. Its a script that does the work on your device. I think we need Loki enabled recoveries that can use and utilize the script.

I came from a Galaxy Nexus too. Its a tad different, since you root first, then install recovery. Root requires running a bat file from your PC where it copies the Loki script. Recovery is downloaded and flashed with FreeGee from the Play Store.

But honestly, like I said before, the stock ROM is pretty amazing. Gots lots of bells and whistles no found on AOSP ROMs. If I flashed anything it would be a Flex ROM only because its like Stock+.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
oh good to have people from gnex here , thanks for the explanation. so basically after we root a script (loki thing) is stored in the phone somewhere which allows flashing of roms ! correct? , seems like i gotta read up. post any links if possible im going through the general section and the d802 section as well
__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Galaxy Nexus
Click "Thanks" if i helped
For More Social Interactions join these Facebook Groups(join only if u hav these phones)
Samsung Galaxy SL
https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalaxySLGROUP/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/NexusPrime/

Fastbird
Old
Thanks Meter 15
You new guys coming over (that's funny, I haven't had the phone a week yet) need to give the stock ROM a chance. Run it rooted so you've got the access and capabilities, install G2 Xposed at a minimum, and go from there. I came from a Rezound I had running CleanRom and pretty heavily tweaked to my liking. The ONLY things I've done to my G2 since getting it on Sunday were to Root, Selectively Debloat, Install G2 Xposed and tweak, and install Apex Launcher because I like having the multipage scrollable lower dock, and if you use G2 Xposed to shorten the height of the navbar, you get an unsightly gap between the navbar and dock unless you use a different than stock launcher.

Doing all the above, the ONLY thing I've lost is the stock pinch out to show the desktop feature. Not a big loss. I had to install screen locker and set double tap in Apex to lock the screen so it still functions exactly as knock off, and knock on was unaffected.

I see absolutely no reason to install a custom rom unless you absolutely MUST have Kit Kat. Most of the aftermarket ROM's I've seen have a "what doesn't work" list. I'd rather have it all work.
Motorola Droid ---> HTC Rezound ---> LG G2