[Q] a few simple questions

31st January 2014, 02:15 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 25

224 posts
More
1) does flashing a custom recovery on the nexus prevent OTA updates from google. I know it did for my HTC sensation XE, but nexus devices are designed for unlocking & stuff

2) if it does prevent OTA, can anyone link me to the latest & best custom recovery anyway. I know i can simply use the "fastboot boot <recoveryimagefilename>" command to boot into custom recovery without flashing it

3) if i were to flash it anyway, can i manually flash OTA's then. According to http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2380113 you need stock recovery to flash OTA's, then what's the point of custom recovery (other than nandroid backups) if ya can't flash stock OTA's
1st February 2014, 07:28 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 45

75 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch3vr0n

1) does flashing a custom recovery on the nexus prevent OTA updates from google. I know it did for my HTC sensation XE, but nexus devices are designed for unlocking & stuff

2) if it does prevent OTA, can anyone link me to the latest & best custom recovery anyway. I know i can simply use the "fastboot boot <recoveryimagefilename>" command to boot into custom recovery without flashing it

3) if i were to flash it anyway, can i manually flash OTA's then. According to http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2380113 you need stock recovery to flash OTA's, then what's the point of custom recovery (other than nandroid backups) if ya can't flash stock OTA's

1) yes

2) I would use this http://www.wugfresh.com makes every thing easy as pie. I would recommend twrp (team win recovery project) wugs fresh will automatically download, and install the latest version for you

3) no you can't flash "factory images" but if you want you can run flash-all.bat with the SDK tools thru ADB, but that would replace your recovery with the sock one, and return you tablet to pure stock, with whatever android version you downloaded from Google. But the good folks here on xda will create an update .zip you can flash thru your custom recovery, before the ota is even available. As far as why have a custom recovery in the first place, you can flash custom software (ROM's, kernels, mods) that will have more features than all the ota's will have in 1000 years. Examples, Multi window, overclocking, undervolting, change the color of everything (lol everything) shortcuts every where, (EVERYWHERE, without getting in the way, I know, how, but they do it, lol) battery meter mods, themes,(change the whole GUI), expanded desktop, native screen recording, the list goes on on and on...

Anyway, no don't accept an ota while your running a custom recovery, it will probably soft brick you, but the features you will gain from custom ROM's/ kernel's will vastly outweigh the features you will ever receive from an ota (and almost all custom ROM's will be based off of the latest android version anyway, so all the latest android features will be baked in) so ya IMO you should go for it.
1st February 2014, 07:32 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 25

224 posts
More
your 2) does not answer the question. Im not asking how to root, i've already done that

3) is wrong again. After removing a pinyin keyboard on 4.3 the 4.4 OTA wouldn't work. so YES i COULD flash a factory image. But then again. That answer is again besides the question. I'm not asking to flash a factory image. I'm asking if using a custom recovery would make it possible to still manually flash OTA's. I'm not gonna flash custom rom on the nexus either. I love the stock rom, smooth and fast but that's again besides the question
1st February 2014, 07:53 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 45

75 posts
Angry
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisguysayswht

1) yes

2) I would use this http://www.wugfresh.com makes every thing easy as pie. I would recommend twrp (team win recovery project) wugs fresh will automatically download, and install the latest version for you

3) no you can't flash "factory images" but if you want you can run flash-all.bat with the SDK tools thru ADB, but that would replace your recovery with the sock one, and return you tablet to pure stock, with whatever android version you downloaded from Google. But the good folks here on xda will create an update .zip you can flash thru your custom recovery, before the ota is even available. As far as why have a custom recovery in the first place, you can flash custom software (ROM's, kernels, mods) that will have more features than all the ota's will have in 1000 years. Examples, Multi window, overclocking, undervolting, change the color of everything (lol everything) shortcuts every where, (EVERYWHERE, without getting in the way, I know, how, but they do it, lol) battery meter mods, themes,(change the whole GUI), expanded desktop, native screen recording, the list goes on on and on...

Anyway, no don't accept an ota while your running a custom recovery, it will probably soft brick you, but the features you will gain from custom ROM's/ kernel's will vastly outweigh the features you will ever receive from an ota (and almost all custom ROM's will be based off of the latest android version anyway, so all the latest android features will be baked in) so ya IMO you should go for it.

Quote:

your 2) does not answer the question. Im not asking how to root, i've already done that

3) is wrong again. After removing a pinyin keyboard on 4.3 the 4.4 OTA wouldn't work. so YES i COULD flash a factory image. But then again. That answer is again besides the question. I'm not asking to flash a factory image. I'm asking if using a custom recovery would make it possible to still manually flash OTA's. I'm not gonna flash custom rom on the nexus either. I love the stock rom, smooth and fast but that's again besides the question

2)I believe you asked what the "latest and best" custom recovery would be. (matter of opinion) I was simply trying to simplify your quest, by linking you to a toolkit that will do it for you.( wugfresh will install the latest version of twrp.. It will do much more than root your nexus... if you explore it) the check box under root. ( I personally don't use it, I prefer to do things the hard way)

3) I agree the stock ROM is "super smooth, and fast", (stable) that's why I personally use the xposed framework, with the stock ROM (updated to 4.4 krt16s, with the elementalX kernel 2.2)... And yes rooting, AND removing a system app (pinyin keyboard), will make an ota fail... Don't think you asked that... I don't know about flashing an ota thru a custom recovery, never done it, but it definitely sounds like a sketch idea to me. IDK why you wouldn't just flash an update.zip. ( pretty much the same as an ota...) If you are running a custom recovery... And if you really want that stock ota... flash-all.bat is your best friend...

From some guy who's been flashin stuff, and things, since his og galaxy nexus... Owned every nexus device since then, and haven't bricked nothing yet.

Just trying to help.

Peace
Last edited by thisguysayswht; 1st February 2014 at 11:47 AM. Reason: more info, punctuation, and such...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread