[ROM] CyanogenMod 10.2 Stable for Nook Color

Search This thread

steven676

Nov 24, 2011
The NookieDevs are pleased to announce the CyanogenMod 10.2.1 stable release for the Nook Color!

As the "stable" label suggests, all major features of the hardware work and the release should be suitable for day-to-day use on your Nook Color. As the "stable" label also suggests, updates (if any) will be primarily to fix bugs -- new features and big changes should not be expected.

Highlights: (not news if you've been keeping up with CM10.2 nightlies)
  • Linux kernel 3.0.8, plus hardware support from TI OmapZoom's android-omap3-3.0 branch and board support forward-ported from BN kernel releases. (Yes, we went backwards from the last 10.2 nightlies to avoid some rare crashes suspected to be related to the USB/charger port driver.)
  • All of the features of CyanogenMod 10.2, based on Android 4.3. All of the changes and bugfixes up to our last CM10.2 nightly (20140119) are included in this stable release.
  • Full 2D and 3D graphics acceleration using the GPU, with improved performance over previous releases.

Known issues:
  • Current releases of Netflix do not work with CM10.2 -- version 1.8.1 is the last version known to work. If you want/need a newer release of Netflix, look into the Xposed mod, which provides a workaround for Netflix -- pastordl has done a nice writeup of the process here.

This release represents the end of active development on CM10.2 -- future efforts will focus on ROMs based on Android 4.4 and later. Critical bugfixes (for security holes, device-bricking bugs, eat-my-data bugs and the like) may be distributed as point releases (CM10.2.1.x); other important bugfixes (if any) will be distributed as patches on top of the 10.2.1 release.

Download:
https://download.cyanogenmod.org/get/jenkins/57353/cm-10.2.1-encore.zip

After flashing the above package, installing the latest kernel patch for CM10.2.1 is strongly recommended.

Code:
MD5: b4ad9daaf2335b96455795867dd5e667
SHA1: ae30dbc7946dd67a044dc972c8718628046a0c7c
SHA256: 0c35a2ab2592a83fb3b8c376c928ea1f9bb91da996d2928d51c6f9e898c48489

Source code:
https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_device_bn_encore/tree/cm-10.2.1 (device-specific source)
https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_kernel_bn_encore/tree/cm-10.2.1 (kernel)
https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android/tree/cm-10.2.1 (manifest for the rest of the CyanogenMod source)
Build instructions (discussion of build issues belongs in the development thread)

This release is the product of much effort by many people over a considerable period: many thanks to fattire, keyodi, eyeballer, krylon360, dalingrin, verygreen, iomonster, nemith, cicadaman, deeper-blue, thedude, mad-murdock, j4mm3r, unforgiven512, scepterr, rebellos, ryands, kmobs, tonsofquestions, hashcode, arcee, hacdan, drmarble, mateor, dhiru1602 and many more. Thanks are also due to the CyanogenMod project, upon which we are building, and Texas Instruments, which historically provided excellent support for its embedded platforms to the open-source hacking community.

XDA:DevDB Information
CyanogenMod 10.2 Stable, ROM for the Barnes & Noble Nook Color

Contributors
steven676, keyodi, fattire, The CyanogenMod Project, NookieDevs, many others (see post)
ROM OS Version: 4.3.x Jellybean
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x
Based On: CyanogenMod

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 10.2.1
Stable Release Date: 2014-02-01

Created 2014-02-01
Last Updated 2014-06-06

steven676

Nov 24, 2011
Google Apps; other CyanogenMod builds

Google Apps
http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Google_Apps

As of 2014/02/01, the latest release for CM10.2 is 20130813, but please check the linked page for updates.

Please make sure that you have the correct Google Apps flashed before reporting problems involving the Google Apps (Play Store, Google Keyboard, etc.).

Other CyanogenMod builds

This is the thread for CM10.2 stable releases. There are other official CyanogenMod builds for Nook Color available:
  • CM11 nightly builds -- these experimental builds, based on Android 4.4, contain the latest changes to CyanogenMod and to hardware support for the Nook Color. As the name suggests, new builds are made and posted (roughly) every day; these builds are fully automatic, with no testing done before posting.
  • CM10.1 stable releases -- while the state of the Nook Color-specific hardware support should be nearly identical to that of CM10.2, you may find this Android 4.2-based release more (or less!) stable than this Android 4.3-based one.
  • Archived nightly builds for CM10.2, CM10.1, and CM10. You may find the last CM10 nightly (20130421) faster than the later releases, particularly during playback of HD 720p video.

Please check that your questions are in the appropriate thread. (If you're interested, there's lots of past discussion in those threads, as well as the development thread.)

Last edited:

steven676

Nov 24, 2011
Frequently Asked Questions and Troubleshooting

The soft keyboard keeps crashing!
The Play Store is acting up!

Did you flash the correct Google Apps?

How do I install this to an external SD card?

See this excellent guide by leapinlar for instructions.

What happened to the "Developer options" and "Performance" screens in Settings?

They're hidden by default now in CM10.1 and later. To show them, go into "About tablet" and tap the build number (for CM10.2.1 stable, "cm_encore-userdebug 4.3.1 JLS36I bf3d49df9c test-keys") seven times.

How do I get the Honeycomb/ICS tablet UI?

You want to use the Auto-Patcher to modify your ROM for the tablet UI. (Don't forget to thank Caldair for maintaining the Tablet UI mod, and mateorod and the rest of the Auto-Patcher developers for building that tool.)

The lock screen doesn't rotate!
The screen doesn't rotate to the sides I want!

Particularly if you're upgrading from an existing install, you may find that the preferences for screen rotations are incorrectly set. Go to Settings->Display->Rotation and check that "Auto-rotate screen" and (if you want the lock screen to rotate) "Rotate lock screen" are set.

For the allowed screen orientations, selecting 0, 180 and 270 degrees will cover the rotations that you probably want. If you want details:
Android likes to think of the "natural" orientation (0 degrees rotation) as landscape with the N key on the right side of the screen. (This is a change from CM10 and earlier, when we were carrying a hack to change this.) The degrees of rotation are counted in the counterclockwise direction, so in essence, each of the rotation settings allows the following:
  • 0 degrees: landscape orientation with the N key on the right side of the screen
  • 90 degrees: portrait orientation with the N key on top ("upside down")
  • 180 degrees: landscape orientation with the N key on the left side of the screen
  • 270 degrees: portrait orientation with the N key on the bottom ("right side up")
I'm having a problem with my Nook Color running CM10.2.

That's not a question :p

Okay, I'm having a problem with my Nook Color running CM10.2 -- is there something I can do to troubleshoot?

Glad you asked! Please check the following:

• Does the problem occur with a clean install of CM10.2? This means wiping /data and not restoring a Nandroid backup afterwards. Don't restore system apps and/or their data in Titanium Backup either (user apps/data are okay).
  • Are you overclocking? If so, does the problem occur when you set the maximum clock speed to 1000 MHz or below? To be clear, we are not interested at this point in bug reports of any kind that happen if you have the maximum CPU speed set above 1000 MHz. If you're experiencing system crashes or "sleep of death" (SOD), you may also wish to try capping the CPU clock speed to 800 MHz (but if this helps, please report your problem here and fill out the hardware survey).
  • Do you have any patches, custom kernels, or other tweaks applied? If you do, does the problem occur without those applied? (We're not necessarily going to ignore bug reports from patched or tweaked systems outright, but it can make our job harder, and we do need to know what changes you have applied to judge whether or not the change might be relevant to your problem.)

I'm having no luck with the suggestions above. What information should I include with my bug report?

When reporting a problem, please include the following information if at all possible:
  • Full description of the problem -- "it crashes" doesn't count. How do you trigger the problem (or does it occur by itself)? What exactly happens when the problem occurs? How often does it happen?
  • For problems with apps or specific pieces of the system software: we'll almost certainly ask for a logcat of the event, so you'll save everyone some time by including it.
  • For problems involving system freezes, crashes, or SOD: if you can connect to the tablet via adb while it's "unresponsive", please provide dmesg and logcat output from that time. If you cannot, try power-cycling it while it's still plugged into USB, and provide dmesg output from immediately after the reboot, plus the contents of /proc/last_kmsg if that file exists (let us know if it doesn't).
  • For unexpected reboots: provide the contents of /proc/last_kmsg from after the reboot.

Last edited:

lifeisfun

Nov 7, 2007
Is there any way to increase touch screen sensitivity?
The app in Google play is not compatible.
Thanks

thewaywardgeek013

May 31, 2012
Just check the Nook Color Dev Page if there are any Development, and Lo and behold! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR STILL SUPPORTING NOOK COLOR! YOU GUYS REALLY ROCK!

steven676

Nov 24, 2011
Kernel security patch (upgrade strongly recommended!)

A security bug in the core kernel (CVE-2013-6282) allows users to read and write arbitrary kernel memory on machines with ARMv6k and ARMv7 CPUs -- including the Nook Color -- and is therefore exploitable for privilege escalation (root) by a local attacker on any device with those CPUs.

The attached kernel (source: https://github.com/steven676/ti-omap-encore-kernel3/tree/cm-10.2.1p1) contains a patch for this bug. The CVE entry notes that this bug has been exploited in the wild since October, so it's strongly recommended that you upgrade as soon as possible. (I apologize for this -- this is the sort of thing that I should have picked up much, much earlier than I actually did.)

CM10.1.3 users: you can use this kernel, but it'll break wifi unless you also rebuild the wireless driver modules -- use the kernel on the CM10.1 stable thread instead. CM11 nightly users: upgrade to a nightly from February 19 or later to get this fix. See my post on the dev thread for more information.

(If you're wondering, I am hoping to get a full CM10.2 point release with this fix included, but that may take some time, as a large number of other devices are affected and we should really try to get all of them fixed.)

Hashes for the attached kernel zip:

Code:
MD5: 991fc7c013f72dc950e32a7b08acd652
SHA1: 88664d4783c97184714ff94730546b36d634b40e
SHA256: 8aec80a185aeee358a68cc0f8aea062a56cef8f0a849c2c7382e4e14467d8b97

Attachments

• cm-10.2.1-encore-kernel-p1-v3.0.8-4143-g51778ea.zip
    4.1 MB · Views: 502
Last edited:

pastordl

Jun 4, 2011
NH
A security bug in the core kernel (CVE-2013-6282) allows users to read and write arbitrary kernel memory on machines with ARMv6k and ARMv7 CPUs -- including the Nook Color -- and is therefore exploitable for privilege escalation (root) by a local attacker on any device with those CPUs.

The attached kernel (source: https://github.com/steven676/ti-omap-encore-kernel3/tree/cm-10.2.1p1) contains a patch for this bug. The CVE entry notes that this bug has been exploited in the wild since October, so it's strongly recommended that you upgrade as soon as possible. (I apologize for this -- this is the sort of thing that I should have picked up much, much earlier than I actually did.)

CM10.1.3 users: you can use this kernel, but it'll break wifi unless you also rebuild the wireless driver modules -- use the kernel on the CM10.1 stable thread instead. CM11 nightly users: upgrade to a nightly from February 19 or later to get this fix. See my post on the dev thread for more information.

(If you're wondering, I am hoping to get a full CM10.2 point release with this fix included, but that may take some time, as a large number of other devices are affected and we should really try to get all of them fixed.)

Hashes for the attached kernel zip:

Code:
MD5: 991fc7c013f72dc950e32a7b08acd652
SHA1: 88664d4783c97184714ff94730546b36d634b40e
SHA256: 8aec80a185aeee358a68cc0f8aea062a56cef8f0a849c2c7382e4e14467d8b97

Installed kernel could not get wifi working. Reverted to last nightly runs fine.

Both this kernel and the CM10.2.1 do not work with Network Speed Indicator - by fatminmin. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2636971 it is something to do with the 3.0.8 kernel build. This works fine with CM 10.2 nightly 1/19 and with CM11.

Last edited:
Reactions: fleetwing

Firehawk989

Sep 23, 2013
This ROM does not boot for me.

Full wipe, flash ROM and gapps, reboot, and sticks on black screen. No boot animation or anything.

Do I need the latest TWRP 2.3.6.0 to flash this properly? (On 2.3.1.0 now.)

pastordl

Jun 4, 2011
NH

Firehawk989

Sep 23, 2013

echoedge

May 1, 2012
This was happening in November nightlies for me and it's still and issue in the stable release.
It's not a huge deal but it can be really annoying.

You know the open recent/open apps button in the bottom navigation bar?

All the other ones work but this button stops functioning relatively frequently, but of a pain because that's my main use for that tablet ui navbar.
By not functioning I just mean it does nothing when you press it, it's just a inactive button so to speak.

I can fix it (temporarily because it stops working again and again) by going into settings > interface > [navigation bar] buttons and layout.
And then just reset it.

Love the rom but this happens too frequently its quite annoying, anyone else have this issue, it's kind of a silly issue I hope there's some fix.

pastordl

Jun 4, 2011
NH
Yea, factory reset. Tried two different downloads on two different computers. I'll try it and see with 2.4.1.0 though.

CM 10.1.3 works fine, and I had some of the January CM 10.2 nightlies running on it fine as well.

Try the 1-19 nightly available through this thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2653483

Look under "Where can I get older releases" follow the link. You'll have to scroll down quite a bit.

They reverted to an older kernel for the "stable" release. I had some different issues with that kernel (see post 7). I stayed with the 1/19 nightly and have had no issues.

Firehawk989

Sep 23, 2013
Try the 1-19 nightly available through this thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2653483

Look under "Where can I get older releases" follow the link. You'll have to scroll down quite a bit.

They reverted to an older kernel for the "stable" release. I had some different issues with that kernel (see post 7). I stayed with the 1/19 nightly and have had no issues.

Tried with TWRP 2.4.1 that you linked me to and still same problem. Must be the kernel as you say.

Will try the 1/19 nightly. Had they fixed the battery life/wakelock issue at that point? That was my only problem with 10.2. I get no wakelock problems and 4 or 5 days of battery life with CM 10.1, so I'll just stick with that if there are still issues in 10.2.

Thanks for your help!

22jjones

Sep 13, 2011
USB Host Mode - sorry if beating a dead horse here...

I haven't checked back in a long, long time....but are there any kernel patches to enable usb host/peripheral switching?

eGPdroid

Apr 6, 2014
This ROM does not boot for me.

Full wipe, flash ROM and gapps, reboot, and sticks on black screen. No boot animation or anything.

Do I need the latest TWRP 2.3.6.0 to flash this properly? (On 2.3.1.0 now.)

I was having the same problem with this as well. It wouldn't boot the loading screen. I gave up and settled for CM 10.1.3 which worked just fine. There's an option to update to 10.2 from the OS but I won't be taking that risk.

polymath257

Oct 11, 2012
Sycamore, IL
I was able to install 10.2.1 with no problems on a friend's NC. But with one of my own, the boot leads to a black screen. I did a factory reset, used a fresh download and tried from both TWRP and CWM. I have not yet tried to install on my other NC, whcih I know has different hardware.

Reactions: steven676

steven676

Nov 24, 2011
I was able to install 10.2.1 with no problems on a friend's NC. But with one of my own, the boot leads to a black screen. I did a factory reset, used a fresh download and tried from both TWRP and CWM. I have not yet tried to install on my other NC, whcih I know has different hardware.

It'd be helpful to know about the hardware on which the boot is failing -- could you fill out the hardware survey for that device?

Reactions: polymath257

polymath257

Oct 11, 2012
Sycamore, IL
I don't know if this will be helpful or not, but I was able to get CM 10.2.1 to install on my other NC. I did a comparison of the hardware by using the website suggested (I did not file a report for the second NC, though). What I found is interesting:

1. Both devices are using ES1.2
2. Both devices are using ft5x06
3. Both devices have Mainboard serial numbers in the A6 series.
4. The device where the install *works* went thorugh some suspend/resume cycles on ft5x06 and did reset_panel_via_gpio several times
5. The device where the install *fails* did not go the suspend/resume cycles or the resets in 3.
6. The device where the install *works* was made on 09/03/2011
7. The device where the install *fails* was made on 10/09/2011

If there is any more information or help I can provide, let me know.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The NookieDevs are pleased to announce the CyanogenMod 10.2.1 stable release for the Nook Color!

As the "stable" label suggests, all major features of the hardware work and the release should be suitable for day-to-day use on your Nook Color. As the "stable" label also suggests, updates (if any) will be primarily to fix bugs -- new features and big changes should not be expected.

Highlights: (not news if you've been keeping up with CM10.2 nightlies)
    • Linux kernel 3.0.8, plus hardware support from TI OmapZoom's android-omap3-3.0 branch and board support forward-ported from BN kernel releases. (Yes, we went backwards from the last 10.2 nightlies to avoid some rare crashes suspected to be related to the USB/charger port driver.)
    • All of the features of CyanogenMod 10.2, based on Android 4.3. All of the changes and bugfixes up to our last CM10.2 nightly (20140119) are included in this stable release.
    • Full 2D and 3D graphics acceleration using the GPU, with improved performance over previous releases.

Known issues:
    • Current releases of Netflix do not work with CM10.2 -- version 1.8.1 is the last version known to work. If you want/need a newer release of Netflix, look into the Xposed mod, which provides a workaround for Netflix -- pastordl has done a nice writeup of the process here.

This release represents the end of active development on CM10.2 -- future efforts will focus on ROMs based on Android 4.4 and later. Critical bugfixes (for security holes, device-bricking bugs, eat-my-data bugs and the like) may be distributed as point releases (CM10.2.1.x); other important bugfixes (if any) will be distributed as patches on top of the 10.2.1 release.

Download:
    https://download.cyanogenmod.org/get/jenkins/57353/cm-10.2.1-encore.zip

After flashing the above package, installing the latest kernel patch for CM10.2.1 is strongly recommended.

Code:
    MD5: b4ad9daaf2335b96455795867dd5e667
    SHA1: ae30dbc7946dd67a044dc972c8718628046a0c7c
    SHA256: 0c35a2ab2592a83fb3b8c376c928ea1f9bb91da996d2928d51c6f9e898c48489

Source code:
    https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_device_bn_encore/tree/cm-10.2.1 (device-specific source)
    https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_kernel_bn_encore/tree/cm-10.2.1 (kernel)
    https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android/tree/cm-10.2.1 (manifest for the rest of the CyanogenMod source)
    Build instructions (discussion of build issues belongs in the development thread)

This release is the product of much effort by many people over a considerable period: many thanks to fattire, keyodi, eyeballer, krylon360, dalingrin, verygreen, iomonster, nemith, cicadaman, deeper-blue, thedude, mad-murdock, j4mm3r, unforgiven512, scepterr, rebellos, ryands, kmobs, tonsofquestions, hashcode, arcee, hacdan, drmarble, mateor, dhiru1602 and many more. Thanks are also due to the CyanogenMod project, upon which we are building, and Texas Instruments, which historically provided excellent support for its embedded platforms to the open-source hacking community.

XDA:DevDB Information
    CyanogenMod 10.2 Stable, ROM for the Barnes & Noble Nook Color

Contributors
    steven676, keyodi, fattire, The CyanogenMod Project, NookieDevs, many others (see post)
    ROM OS Version: 4.3.x Jellybean
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x
    Based On: CyanogenMod

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 10.2.1
    Stable Release Date: 2014-02-01

Created 2014-02-01
    Last Updated 2014-06-06
    Google Apps; other CyanogenMod builds

Google Apps
    http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Google_Apps

As of 2014/02/01, the latest release for CM10.2 is 20130813, but please check the linked page for updates.

Please make sure that you have the correct Google Apps flashed before reporting problems involving the Google Apps (Play Store, Google Keyboard, etc.).

Other CyanogenMod builds

This is the thread for CM10.2 stable releases. There are other official CyanogenMod builds for Nook Color available:
    • CM11 nightly builds -- these experimental builds, based on Android 4.4, contain the latest changes to CyanogenMod and to hardware support for the Nook Color. As the name suggests, new builds are made and posted (roughly) every day; these builds are fully automatic, with no testing done before posting.
    • CM10.1 stable releases -- while the state of the Nook Color-specific hardware support should be nearly identical to that of CM10.2, you may find this Android 4.2-based release more (or less!) stable than this Android 4.3-based one.
    • Archived nightly builds for CM10.2, CM10.1, and CM10. You may find the last CM10 nightly (20130421) faster than the later releases, particularly during playback of HD 720p video.

Please check that your questions are in the appropriate thread. (If you're interested, there's lots of past discussion in those threads, as well as the development thread.)
    Sorry but I can connect every time and download anyone of the ROMs

The original cyanogen repositories got deleted when the company closed. You can find the roms here
    Frequently Asked Questions and Troubleshooting

The soft keyboard keeps crashing!
    The Play Store is acting up!

Did you flash the correct Google Apps?

How do I install this to an external SD card?

See this excellent guide by leapinlar for instructions.

What happened to the "Developer options" and "Performance" screens in Settings?

They're hidden by default now in CM10.1 and later. To show them, go into "About tablet" and tap the build number (for CM10.2.1 stable, "cm_encore-userdebug 4.3.1 JLS36I bf3d49df9c test-keys") seven times.

How do I get the Honeycomb/ICS tablet UI?

You want to use the Auto-Patcher to modify your ROM for the tablet UI. (Don't forget to thank Caldair for maintaining the Tablet UI mod, and mateorod and the rest of the Auto-Patcher developers for building that tool.)

The lock screen doesn't rotate!
    The screen doesn't rotate to the sides I want!

Particularly if you're upgrading from an existing install, you may find that the preferences for screen rotations are incorrectly set. Go to Settings->Display->Rotation and check that "Auto-rotate screen" and (if you want the lock screen to rotate) "Rotate lock screen" are set.

For the allowed screen orientations, selecting 0, 180 and 270 degrees will cover the rotations that you probably want. If you want details:
    Android likes to think of the "natural" orientation (0 degrees rotation) as landscape with the N key on the right side of the screen. (This is a change from CM10 and earlier, when we were carrying a hack to change this.) The degrees of rotation are counted in the counterclockwise direction, so in essence, each of the rotation settings allows the following:
    • 0 degrees: landscape orientation with the N key on the right side of the screen
    • 90 degrees: portrait orientation with the N key on top ("upside down")
    • 180 degrees: landscape orientation with the N key on the left side of the screen
    • 270 degrees: portrait orientation with the N key on the bottom ("right side up")
    I'm having a problem with my Nook Color running CM10.2.

That's not a question :p

Okay, I'm having a problem with my Nook Color running CM10.2 -- is there something I can do to troubleshoot?

Glad you asked! Please check the following:

• Does the problem occur with a clean install of CM10.2? This means wiping /data and not restoring a Nandroid backup afterwards. Don't restore system apps and/or their data in Titanium Backup either (user apps/data are okay).
    • Are you overclocking? If so, does the problem occur when you set the maximum clock speed to 1000 MHz or below? To be clear, we are not interested at this point in bug reports of any kind that happen if you have the maximum CPU speed set above 1000 MHz. If you're experiencing system crashes or "sleep of death" (SOD), you may also wish to try capping the CPU clock speed to 800 MHz (but if this helps, please report your problem here and fill out the hardware survey).
    • Do you have any patches, custom kernels, or other tweaks applied? If you do, does the problem occur without those applied? (We're not necessarily going to ignore bug reports from patched or tweaked systems outright, but it can make our job harder, and we do need to know what changes you have applied to judge whether or not the change might be relevant to your problem.)

I'm having no luck with the suggestions above. What information should I include with my bug report?

When reporting a problem, please include the following information if at all possible:
    • Full description of the problem -- "it crashes" doesn't count. How do you trigger the problem (or does it occur by itself)? What exactly happens when the problem occurs? How often does it happen?
    • For problems with apps or specific pieces of the system software: we'll almost certainly ask for a logcat of the event, so you'll save everyone some time by including it.
    • For problems involving system freezes, crashes, or SOD: if you can connect to the tablet via adb while it's "unresponsive", please provide dmesg and logcat output from that time. If you cannot, try power-cycling it while it's still plugged into USB, and provide dmesg output from immediately after the reboot, plus the contents of /proc/last_kmsg if that file exists (let us know if it doesn't).
    • For unexpected reboots: provide the contents of /proc/last_kmsg from after the reboot.
    I also checked the EMMC type for the two devices. I had recalled they had different hardware.

The device where 10.2.1 installs has a SEM08G emmc and the one where the install fails has a M8G2FA emmc. Is this possibly the issue?

That prompted me to check a Nook Color with M8G2FA eMMC (kindly provided by pastordl), and well, what do you know, it doesn't boot. (It's also OMAP3630 ES1.2 and ft5x06 touchscreen, manufacture date September 20, 2011.) The kernel update I just posted above does, though -- hopefully that solves your problem too?