5,600,335 Members 35,354 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Help - Clarification on [How To's]

Tip us?

janusman
Old
(Last edited by janusman; 31st January 2014 at 07:22 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Tablet [Q] Help - Clarification on [How To's]

Hi

I finally have decided to try and unlock, root and install custom ROM to my TF300T. It's lagging a lot and I am going crazy over it.

I am not new to rooting and flashing roms, I have done the same numerous times to my beloved GNex and a couple of other mobile phones I owned before. Having said that, I have only followed the tutorial to flash. So, not a total newbie but sort of.

I am trying to make this tablet more usable (my usage is is restricted to browsing, streaming sports/movies and a few games). The more I read the more I am getting confused. I just would like a clean ROM which doesn't lag and hopefully a method that has lesser possibility of Bricking.

I am on the latest firmware from Asus (But, It did come with ICS if I remember correctly before I updated to 4.2.1). I know when I updated it came with new BL so, using custom recovery/roms designed for 4.1.x is not an option (please correct me if I am wrong). I intend to follow these steps -

Please point me in right direction/correct the steps/suggest better steps where ever needed. I just want to know if I am on the right path so far.

1. Unlock BL with latest Unlock tool from Asus website.
2. with [UNLOCKED BL], install 2.5.0.0 TWRP &SuperSU ( will follow - [GUIDE][13/11]Update/Recovery/Root/Downgrade Android 4.2.1 on Unlocked/Locked Devices ) - OR should I install 'openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.0-tf300t-4.2.img' from TWRP site?
3. Once #1 & #2 are complete, I can choose a Custom Rom and flash. Anything else to be wary about?

Questions

1. Should I use 'Flatline - Unbrickable Transformer TF300T - Jellybean edition'?
2. I do not have much data and I can download the apps again if needed. So, Is Nandroid backup/Backup with Titanium necessary? (for recovery of the system/ROM - I do not care about the apps/user data at this point)
3. Can someone suggest what they think is a better combination of ROM+Kernel? From a post I see the following ROMS I can choose from

Quote:
joelalmeidaptg's post :

Here you have a list of ROMs that are compatible with the new bootloader and are safe to flash once you are on 4.2.1 firmware:
CleanROM Inheritance Xenogenesis from sbdags
Energy™ from NRGZ28
GRIMLOCK from hardslog
CyanogenMod 10.1 Unofficial from pcoussa
ROM-THEME- STOCK KERNEL Stock Asus Firmware 10.6.1.15.3 from surdu_petru
Thanks in advance.

grit96
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by janusman View Post
Hi

I finally have decided to try and unlock, root and install custom ROM to my TF300T. It's lagging a lot and I am going crazy over it.

I am not new to rooting and flashing roms, I have done the same numerous times to my beloved GNex and a couple of other mobile phones I owned before. Having said that, I have only followed the tutorial to flash. So, not a total newbie but sort of.

I am trying to make this tablet more usable (my usage is is restricted to browsing, streaming sports/movies and a few games). The more I read the more I am getting confused. I just would like a clean ROM which doesn't lag and hopefully a method that has lesser possibility of Bricking.

I am on the latest firmware from Asus (But, It did come with ICS if I remember correctly before I updated to 4.2.1). I know when I updated it came with new BL so, using custom recovery/roms designed for 4.1.x is not an option (please correct me if I am wrong). I intend to follow these steps -

Please point me in right direction/correct the steps/suggest better steps where ever needed. I just want to know if I am on the right path so far.

1. Unlock BL with latest Unlock tool from Asus website.
2. with [UNLOCKED BL], install 2.5.0.0 TWRP &SuperSU ( will follow - [GUIDE][13/11]Update/Recovery/Root/Downgrade Android 4.2.1 on Unlocked/Locked Devices )
3. Once #1 & #2 are complete, I can choose a Custom Rom and flash. Anything else to be wary about?

Questions

1. Should I use 'Flatline - Unbrickable Transformer TF300T - Jellybean edition'?
2. I do not have much data and I can download the apps again if needed. So, Is Nandroid backup/Backup with Titanium necessary? (for recovery of the system/ROM - I do not care about the apps/user data at this point)
3. Can someone suggest what they think is a better combination of ROM+Kernel? From a post I see the following ROMS I can choose from

Thanks in advance.
After unlocking the bootloader and installing TWRP, I would recommend installing CROMi-X.

It is based on stock so you do not need to wipe before installing (you can keep all your apps).
It has a nice graphical installer and you can choose lots of different tweaks.
It comes with a variety of different kernels - I use _that's OC kernel.
The Following User Says Thank You to grit96 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

janusman
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by grit96 View Post
After unlocking the bootloader and installing TWRP, I would recommend installing CROMi-X.

It is based on stock so you do not need to wipe before installing (you can keep all your apps).
It has a nice graphical installer and you can choose lots of different tweaks.
It comes with a variety of different kernels - I use _that's OC kernel.
Thanks for the reply. Which version of TWRP? 2.5.0.0 or the latest one from TWRP site that ends with 4.2.blog?

cmendonc2
Old
Thanks Meter 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by janusman View Post
Thanks for the reply. Which version of TWRP? 2.5.0.0 or the latest one from TWRP site that ends with 4.2.blog?
Use the one that ends in -42 since you are on the 4.2 bootloader. Flatline NvFlash is always a good idea. A helpful guide is here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2545610.
My Devices:

[Retired] Nook Color (CM10)

LG Optimus Dynamic II L39C (Stock, rooted)

Asus Tf300t (CM11)

Transformers: Install NvFlash for JellyBean Transformer bootloader to become unbrickable HERE Guide: Here!
Wantfree phone and tablet accessories or Google Play gift cards? Go HERE
The Following User Says Thank You to cmendonc2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

brewmeister
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Default cromi x for sure

cromix is def the way to go with this tablet-get a fast microsd-partition and use a kernel with data2sd like thats.
good luck, if installed correctly you'l feel like it's a brand new tablet

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

also, i find it's better to install cromi without installing a kernel first (using stock). then after cromi is up and running, use kernel installer to install desired kernel and tweaks. have fun and make sure to read everything
The Following User Says Thank You to brewmeister For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]