Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,719 Members 38,116 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Bricked Kindle Fire - Can't Tell if 1st or 2nd Gen

Tip us?

elleefix
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Bricked Kindle Fire - Can't Tell if 1st or 2nd Gen

I have a Kindle Fire here that is bricked (loads/reloads "kindlefire" logo over and over and goes no further). I purchased a factory cable so that I can flash it back to it's original software. However, since this device is bricked and was given to me, I have no idea if this a 1st or 2nd generation device. Is there some way to tell the difference between the two while it is bricked so that I know what to flash it with? I've looked everywhere and can find only ways to tell the difference if the device is running properly. Thanks so much!

jtbabi74
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default kindle fire unbrick utility

Quote:
Originally Posted by elleefix View Post
I have a Kindle Fire here that is bricked (loads/reloads "kindlefire" logo over and over and goes no further). I purchased a factory cable so that I can flash it back to it's original software. However, since this device is bricked and was given to me, I have no idea if this a 1st or 2nd generation device. Is there some way to tell the difference between the two while it is bricked so that I know what to flash it with? I've looked everywhere and can find only ways to tell the difference if the device is running properly. Thanks so much!
I would try the kindle fire unbrick utility for the first gen to see if that works if it does not it will not harm your device or try the kindle fire utility v0.9.9 to see if it detects the kindle fire being plugged in try the unbrick utility see if that works under kindle fire android development on the xda forums

androvista
Old
Thanks Meter 327
NO NO NO! DO NOT USE THE KINDLE FIRE UTILITY!

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using xda app-developers app

Hey, I'm androvista, head of the InFriction ROM team.
InFriction ROM team head - androvista is AwesomePress the Thanks button To Support my Hard Work
The Following User Says Thank You to androvista For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

elleefix
Old
(Last edited by elleefix; 31st January 2014 at 03:57 PM.) Reason: Answered my own question
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thank you for your input but...

before I start doing something that might permanently brick the device, what about something more simple like opening up the back? Does anyone know if there are obvious differences between 1st and 2nd gen? I've tried googling this and can never find an answer that doesn't involved running the device in some way, very frustrating.

I've tried researching this myself by simply watching YouTube videos and trying my best to make note of anything. The only thing I've found that I suspect might be different (but I'm still not sure) is the color of the battery connector on the mobo. White for 1st gen, black for 2nd gen. Can anyone confirm this and/or does anyone know of another obvious difference?

Thanks so much!

-----------------------

Update:

I believe I've answered my own question. After initially posting this, it occurred to me to simply look up replacement parts for 1st and 2nd gen and look for differences. I am correct about the color difference of the battery connector on the mobo, in addition, the 1st gen models also have a small white flex cable connector that is directly to the right of the battery cable connector (if you're viewing the device with the mobo at the top). This flex cable connector is completely absent on the 2nd gen models.

Posting this just to let everyone know I've solved the problem and also so that anyone else searching for a solution to this problem can have a definite answer.

Thanks again for the help! It's much appreciated!

stunts513
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 605

DONATE TO ME
If you want to be sure then put it into fastboot and run "fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product" and if it returns kindle its a first gen, if it reports Tate, otter2, or jem then its a 2nd gen device.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM10.1 Tablet UI using xda-developers app
My Wallpaper Fix for KF2, KFHD 7", and KFHD 8.9" is HERE
Please Read the instructions and use the debugger if you run into errors.
My own modified adb drivers for just about all kindles (includes old twrp and cm versions) HERE
Tablet UI Patch for latest CM10.1 build HERE!

Please send complaints to /dev/null