Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,683 Members 51,510 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] No 3G signal

Tip us?

bqduy
Old
(Last edited by bqduy; 16th January 2014 at 06:39 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] No 3G signal

So I just got my Note 3 SM N900 a few weeks ago. However the signal received was very weak, so I used Odin to flash a new modem (DXUBMI1, as demonstrated in this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2475714).

After flashing, the voice call and SMS were more stable, I constantly got -51dbm in signal strength. Yet in terms of network connection I could only connect via EDGE (2G). When rebooting, the phone could connect to HSDPA (3G) initially, but after a while, it drops 3G and turns to 2G again, hence I believe the problem is not with the service provider.

Please see the screenshots for more details. My questions are: how do I improve connectivity and are there any other better modem base band to flash on my Note 3 (I bought the phone and currently live in Vietnam).

Appreciate your help. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-01-16-11-10-29.png
Views:	304
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	2518910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-01-16-11-10-19.png
Views:	37
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	2519050  

radicalisto
Old
Thanks Meter 1,403

DONATE TO ME
Just edit out your IMEI Number from that screen shot first - keep that number to yourself always.

Do you have a case on the phone? Or a bumper?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
// LG G3 (D855) // Stock // Stock //

S3(White) > M7(Red) > Note 3(Black) > Nexus 5(Black) > M8(Gunmetal) > LG G3 (Titan Grey)

Dahdoul
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Try this go to settings > more networks > mobile network > then change network mode to WCDMA only then reboot your phone.

Hope it helps

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
NOTE 3 SM-N9005

Hit THANKS if I helped.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dahdoul For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bqduy
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicalisto View Post
Just edit out your IMEI Number from that screen shot first - keep that number to yourself always.

Do you have a case on the phone? Or a bumper?

Thanks. I use an S-View case on my phone (the flip cover one).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahdoul View Post
Try this go to settings > more networks > mobile network > then change network mode to WCDMA only then reboot your phone.

Hope it helps

I forced it to WCDMA only and got 3G for a while...then the signal just went out altogether. The phone signal only came back after I switched back to WCDMA/EDGE auto select.

Is there any chance this problem is hardware related?

radicalisto
Old
Thanks Meter 1,403

DONATE TO ME
It is possible that it is hardware yes. However. . For some bizarre reason it may be the case.. take it off and see how it performs then you can reassess

S3(White) > M7(Red) > Note 3(Black) > Nexus 5(Black) > M8(Gunmetal) > LG G3 (Titan Grey)

bqduy
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicalisto View Post
It is possible that it is hardware yes. However. . For some bizarre reason it may be the case.. take it off and see how it performs then you can reassess

Tried taking off the case and the problem still doesn't resolve...I have it swapped for a new one. Thank you though.

radicalisto
Old
Thanks Meter 1,403

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by bqduy View Post
Tried taking off the case and the problem still doesn't resolve...I have it swapped for a new one. Thank you though.
Glad you got sorted.

The Following User Says Thank You to radicalisto For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vicmora5
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahdoul View Post

Hope it helps

Wow thanks! Sorry for the late reply, but i was having the same issue as OP and I had my settings for GSM only and was only getting EDGE, changed the network mode and I am now getting H+ Thank you!!!
http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com.s3.amazonaws.com/41/191/vicmora5.png?1294864322863