Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,340 Members 43,023 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] I can't reroot after the OTA Security update

Tip us?

thrax12
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] I can't reroot after the OTA Security update

I got the January 7th OTA update. I lost root. I do have Voodoo OTA root keeper, and it said root restored but it didn't check the box. I also have SuperUser but I keep getting the # sign in the status bar to update su bin. When I try to update it gives me an error message. I tried to use a few root dependent apps to test if root was truly gone, and, indeed, it was.

I gave up and decided I should just try to reroot. So I ran Razrblade Utility that I used to root jellybean in the first place, and not even that works. I have safestrap if that means anything. Any ideas?

Here is the dialogue box I get when I try to run Razr Blade
[*][*] Razr Blade: Motorola Droid Razr 4.1 Root Exploit (Windows version)[*] by Dan Rosenberg (@djrbliss)[*][*] Thanks to p3droid for assistance in testing.[*][*] Note: this will not work on Razr HD, Razr M, etc.[*][*] Before continuing, ensure USB debugging is enabled, that you[*] have the latest Motorola drivers installed, and that your phone[*] is connected via USB.[*][*] Please carefully follow any instructions provided in the exploit.[*][*] Press enter to root your phone...
Press any key to continue . . .[*][*] Waiting for device...
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *[*] Device found.[*] Phase one...[*] Rebooting device...[*] Waiting for phone to reboot.[*] Phase two...[*] Complete the following steps on your device:[*] 1. Open the Smart Actions application.[*] 2. Select "Get Started".[*] 3. Select "Battery Saver".[*] 4. Select "Save".[*] 5. Press the Home button.[*][*] Press enter here once you have completed the above steps.
Press any key to continue . . .
55 KB/s (3477 bytes in 0.061s)[*] Rebooting device...[*] Waiting for phone to reboot.[*] Phase three (this will take a minute)...
failed on '/data/logger' - Permission denied
mkdir failed for /data/logger, File exists
Unable to chmod /data/logger: Operation not permitted
link failed File exists[*] Rebooting device...[*] Waiting for phone to reboot.[*] Phase four...
472 KB/s (91992 bytes in 0.190s)
1211 KB/s (1867568 bytes in 1.505s)
1259 KB/s (574184 bytes in 0.445s)
878 KB/s (63838 bytes in 0.071s)[*] Cleaning up...
/system/bin/sh: su: not found[*] Rebooting...[*] Exploit complete![*] Press any key to exit.
Terminate batch job (Y/N)?

fourqqqq
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrax12 View Post
I got the January 7th OTA update. I lost root. I do have Voodoo OTA root keeper, and it said root restored but it didn't check the box. I also have SuperUser but I keep getting the # sign in the status bar to update su bin. When I try to update it gives me an error message. I tried to use a few root dependent apps to test if root was truly gone, and, indeed, it was.

I gave up and decided I should just try to reroot. So I ran Razrblade Utility that I used to root jellybean in the first place, and not even that works. I have safestrap if that means anything. Any ideas?

Here is the dialogue box I get when I try to run Razr Blade
[*][*] Razr Blade: Motorola Droid Razr 4.1 Root Exploit (Windows version)[*] by Dan Rosenberg (@djrbliss)[*][*] Thanks to p3droid for assistance in testing.[*][*] Note: this will not work on Razr HD, Razr M, etc.[*][*] Before continuing, ensure USB debugging is enabled, that you[*] have the latest Motorola drivers installed, and that your phone[*] is connected via USB.[*][*] Please carefully follow any instructions provided in the exploit.[*][*] Press enter to root your phone...
Press any key to continue . . .[*][*] Waiting for device...
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *[*] Device found.[*] Phase one...[*] Rebooting device...[*] Waiting for phone to reboot.[*] Phase two...[*] Complete the following steps on your device:[*] 1. Open the Smart Actions application.[*] 2. Select "Get Started".[*] 3. Select "Battery Saver".[*] 4. Select "Save".[*] 5. Press the Home button.[*][*] Press enter here once you have completed the above steps.
55 KB/s (3477 bytes in 0.061s)[*] Rebooting device...[*] Waiting for phone to reboot.[*] Phase three (this will take a minute)...
failed on '/data/logger' - Permission denied
mkdir failed for /data/logger, File exists
Unable to chmod /data/logger: Operation not permitted
link failed File exists[*] Rebooting device...[*] Waiting for phone to reboot.[*] Phase four...
472 KB/s (91992 bytes in 0.190s)
1211 KB/s (1867568 bytes in 1.505s)
1259 KB/s (574184 bytes in 0.445s)
878 KB/s (63838 bytes in 0.071s)[*] Cleaning up...
/system/bin/sh: su: not found[*] Rebooting...[*] Exploit complete![*] Press any key to exit.
Terminate batch job (Y/N)?
I had the same problem. However after clearing the cache I was able to regain root.

1.Power the device off.
Note Press the Power button then select Power off.
Note If the device doesn't respond to input, press and hold the Volume Up / Down then press and holdPower button. When the device screen goes blank release the Power button while continuing to holdVolume Up / Down, proceed with step 3.
2.Press and hold the Volume Up / Down then press the Power button.
3.When presented with the Boot Mode Selection Menu release all buttons.
4.Press Volume Down to select Recovery then press Volume Up.
5.From the Droid triage screen, simultaneously press Volume Up / Down.
6.Select Clear the Cache Partition then press the Power button.
7.Select reboot system now then press the Power button.

I also disabled all smart actions before starting the razr blade batch file. Don't know that it made any difference. Good luck.