Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,054 Members 40,573 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Need quick advice for stolen device

Tip us?

shoresteve626
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Personally, I think the OP was quite clear in the order of events. I work as an investigator and an interviewer. The randomness of your roommates son buying the same exact (and very expensive) tablet that most people don't own (hence even the lack of development) is pretty..... well, random. Listen folks... This chick stole his tablet. She was careless and left the manual laying around. If you don't think that's the scenario then you're naive. I had an iPhone stolen from my house and about 3 months later saw a friend who attended a party at my house using MY phone with the same case and the SAME exact old sticker residue on it. He told me that he bought it from a coworker. I snatched it out of his hands and he just walked away without a word. Haven't seen him in my circle of friends since.

The best that you can do is hope that she messes up and flips wifi on. Or, you can ask her son about a feature that you don't quite understand the next time he's there and then wait for weird looks. If sucks for you because Amazon has now added you to a list of potential thieves. Retailers deal with people saying they never "received"an item all the time and is not always legit.

Sent from my SM-P600 using xda app-developers app

kessomatt
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoresteve626 View Post
Personally, I think the OP was quite clear in the order of events. I work as an investigator and an interviewer. The randomness of your roommates son buying the same exact (and very expensive) tablet that most people don't own (hence even the lack of development) is pretty..... well, random. Listen folks... This chick stole his tablet. She was careless and left the manual laying around. If you don't think that's the scenario then you're naive. I had an iPhone stolen from my house and about 3 months later saw a friend who attended a party at my house using MY phone with the same case and the SAME exact old sticker residue on it. He told me that he bought it from a coworker. I snatched it out of his hands and he just walked away without a word. Haven't seen him in my circle of friends since.

The best that you can do is hope that she messes up and flips wifi on. Or, you can ask her son about a feature that you don't quite understand the next time he's there and then wait for weird looks. If sucks for you because Amazon has now added you to a list of potential thieves. Retailers deal with people saying they never "received"an item all the time and is not always legit.

Sent from my SM-P600 using xda app-developers app
The funny thing is even after asking her about this mystery device on our network she still left the wifi on even through this morning. After I sent one more email this morning with another screenshot I finally saw it disappear from the device list. Still waiting on a response. She is not very bright to begin with so I donít think she fully understood that I can see what devices are on the network. I saved the MAC address.

jaypeezee
Old
Thanks Meter 20
So...Why is she still your roommate?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

kessomatt
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypeezee View Post
So...Why is she still your roommate?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
Long story. I am actually moving in 2-3 months, but she doesn't know it yet. I am friends with the landlord of the place and we carefully planned this out. She has been a headache for both of us since she moved in.

She is missing quite a few marbles and on top of it she destroys the house. Within the first week she fell through the bathroom sink while trying to paint. Filleted her leg while standing in the sink(!) and the paramedics had to haul her off. She tried to blame it on the landlord that because there was a crack in the sink she should not have to pay the medical bills. She also managed to break most of the major appliances at least once.

I live with my 6 year old son and I was planning on moving to a bigger place anyways so rather than giving her the boot and risking her retaliating against either my property or his house we decided to just wait until I leave and he will rent the place out to a single family.

Geordie Affy
Old
Thanks Meter 99
@kessomatt wish you and your son the best - sounds like you've had to deal with a mental woman longer than any human should.

Sent from Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition via Tapatalk.
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition (WiFi)
Samsung Galaxy SIII
Dell Inspiron 1720 - Awesome Laptop