5,597,647 Members 33,343 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Can the Google Play Edition S4 run Touchwiz Based Roms?

Tip us?

tanner4137
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 115
Default Can the Google Play Edition S4 run Touchwiz Based Roms?

Hello!

I am in need of a bit of help, after searching through the forums I haven't been able to find a definite answer. I recently purchased a Google Play Edition of the Galaxy S4. What I know is that it isn't using a Samsung bootloader, but in fact a Google one you would find on say, the Nexus 4. This has led me to wonder if this means I can't flash Touchwiz based ROMs. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
Samsung A177
Rumor Touch
Samsung Intercept
Motorola Triumph
HTC Vivid
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
AT&T HTC One X
Nexus 4
iPhone 4s
Nexus 4
HTC One
iPhone 5
Galaxy S3 (temp replacement)
Nexus 4
Galaxy S4 (Google Play Edition)

ac3theone
Old
Thanks Meter 126

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner4137 View Post
Hello!

I am in need of a bit of help, after searching through the forums I haven't been able to find a definite answer. I recently purchased a Google Play Edition of the Galaxy S4. What I know is that it isn't using a Samsung bootloader, but in fact a Google one you would find on say, the Nexus 4. This has led me to wonder if this means I can't flash Touchwiz based ROMs. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
i dont see why not, my att s4 can run 9505 roms, aosp roms and google play edition roms
Phones:
-HTC Mytouch 4g Slide
-Samsung Galaxy S2 T-989
-Samsung Galaxy Nexus GT- I9520
-Boost Mobile Samsung Transform Ultra

DeadlySin9
Old
Thanks Meter 380

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner4137 View Post
Hello!

You can, you will just need to flash a Touchwiz kernel.
Current Device: ATT Samsung Galaxy S4 (i337)

Past Devices:
Droid Bionic (GSM Hacked)
HTC Inspire 4G (Desire HD)
Nexus One
Motorola Backflip
HTC Dev Phone 1 (Dream/G1)
The Following User Says Thank You to DeadlySin9 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]