Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,743 Members 43,042 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Nooby needs help with i605

Tip us?

kkrofft
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Nooby needs help with i605

Folks,

My son in law just picked up a used Note2 that was originally a Verizon phone. The seller had thoughtfully loaded it with a stock unlocked ROM as the son in law was planning to use it on Pagepluscellular not Verizon. After receiving the phone he decided to use it with his Verizon account for a few months and had it activated. It worked great until it tried to auto update.

Now the phone will not boot. It opens to the Samsung Galaxy Note II splash screen but will go no farther. Son in law is not tech savvy and I haven't modded a phone since my old Motorola Razr V3XX.

I have looked around this site and am struggling with the terminology but I think I have learned that:
The phone is considered bricked.
The only option I find is the I605 unbricker link which will require me to dis-assemble the phone and solder a switch to short a resistor.
It appears that this will unbrick the phone but it is not clear what I should do after that. He would be happy with a stock Verizon ROM image but
I don't see an obvious link to a stock file. And I am not clear as to what image loader version (Odin?) to use.

Please offer suggestions or advice. I need to fix the phone for him but really don't plan to get into modding it. It he want's to do that he can learn it for himself.

Thank you!

drarkanex
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Try going into recovery.. pull battery. . Wait 5 sec and put battery back in (I usually hold the power button down when battery is pulled) then hold home button and volume down.. While holding those down hold down the power button. See if it will go into recovery

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 06:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 PM ----------

If you can get to recovery you should be good..

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

kkrofft
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Yes! It will go into recovery. Every where else I read it said to use volume up not down.
With it in Recovery what is next? Can you suggest an OEM Rom?
Thanks!

kkrofft
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Fixed!

Gotta love the forums. I found the guide at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2024207
and was able to fix the phone. The update that bricked it was of course the 4.3 so I has to resort to the VRUEMJ9 4.3 rom to get ODIN to succeed with an install but the load completed successfully and the phone is working great.