Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,001 Members 39,666 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] [RESOLVED] DroidSansFallback-htc.ttf replaced by the original when phone restarts

Tip us?
 
uadissa
Old
#11  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 13
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Mebourne
Thumbs up RESOLVED

I was able to resolve this issue easier than expected. This is what I did.
1. Boot the phone in to the Recovery mode( I have TWRP recovery installed)
2. Connected the phone to PC
3. From PC command prompt access a phone shell using I]adb shell[/I]
4. mount /system
5. Changed the properties like user, group and access permissions of my DroidSansFallback-htc.ttf to match the file in ROM's /system/fonts
6. Copy my DroidSansFallback-htc.ttf which has sinhala to /system/fonts( I made sure my original file was backed up)
7. umount /system
8. Exit from recovery and reboot

All works well
 
cr1960
Old
#12  
cr1960's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 297
Posts: 1,393
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by uadissa View Post
I was able to resolve this issue easier than expected. This is what I did.
1. Boot the phone in to the Recovery mode( I have TWRP recovery installed)
2. Connected the phone to PC
3. From PC command prompt access a phone shell using I]adb shell[/I]
4. mount /system
5. Changed the properties like user, group and access permissions of my DroidSansFallback-htc.ttf to match the file in ROM's /system/fonts
6. Copy my DroidSansFallback-htc.ttf which has sinhala to /system/fonts( I made sure my original file was backed up)
7. umount /system
8. Exit from recovery and reboot

All works well
glad you got it sorted.
there is a difference between being unlocked and running a rooted rom. unlocked means you can install a custom recovery which then means you can flash roms. the rom contains 'files' which provide the ability to change things, which unlocking the bootloader and flashing a custom recovery do not. if you were running a custom rom, simply replacing the font using root explorer would have worked the way you wanted without having to use adb commands.

HTC M8
ROM: Renovate
 
uadissa
Old
(Last edited by uadissa; 2nd February 2014 at 04:55 AM.) Reason: more info
#13  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 13
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Mebourne
Default I believe the phone is rooted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1960 View Post
glad you got it sorted.
there is a difference between being unlocked and running a rooted rom. unlocked means you can install a custom recovery which then means you can flash roms. the rom contains 'files' which provide the ability to change things, which unlocking the bootloader and flashing a custom recovery do not. if you were running a custom rom, simply replacing the font using root explorer would have worked the way you wanted without having to use adb commands.
thanks for your comment. from all these I'm learning because i'm little new to android.
However I still believe my ROM OS is rooted. Because
1. After installing the TWRP custom recovery I installed SuperUser.zip by Koush to root the ROM
2. When I run root explorer it allows me to replace files into System folders with root access( Super User).

HTC has their own HTC Sense thing running on top of Android. Can that be replacing the system folders every-time it restarts? which is not happening in other phones.

Quote:
if you were running a custom rom, simply replacing the font using root explorer would have worked
Yes I would have fixed but I was only running my stock OS rooted.
 
clsA
Old
#14  
clsA's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 875
Posts: 3,244
Join Date: Aug 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by uadissa View Post
thanks for your comment. from all these I'm learning because i'm little new to android.
However I still believe my ROM OS is rooted. Because
1. After installing the TWRP custom recovery I installed SuperUser.zip by Koush to root the ROM
2. When I run root explorer it allows me to replace files into System folders with root access( Super User).

HTC has their own HTC Sense thing running on top of Android. Can that be replacing the system folders every-time it restarts?
you need an insecure kernel .. thats why he's recommending you just flash a rom, it's much simpler
HTC One 32 GB AT&T

The Following User Says Thank You to clsA For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
uadissa
Old
(Last edited by uadissa; 2nd February 2014 at 05:22 AM.) Reason: Change of opinion
#15  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 13
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Mebourne
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsA View Post
you need an insecure kernel .. thats why he's recommending you just flash a rom, it's much simpler
But I had a insecure kernal. That's why I had root access when I was in adbd shell and it allowed me to replace files into /system.
 
clsA
Old
(Last edited by clsA; 2nd February 2014 at 06:02 AM.)
#16  
clsA's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 875
Posts: 3,244
Join Date: Aug 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by uadissa View Post
But I had a insecure kernal. That's why I had root access when I was in adbd shell and it allowed me to replace files into /system.
nope

this is from ARHD
Quote:
ROM details:

Removed software (CPU) rendering - full Snapdragon 600 (GPU) rendering
Fully optimized and tweaked
Root access
Unsecured boot.img
Newest BusyBox
RAM optimizations
System signatures check enabled for system security and safety
Improved virtual memory management
Speed optimizations
Enabled GPU UI rendering
Data, cache and system partitions mounting tweaks
Bloatware applications removed
All /system applications updated to latest available
All /data applications updated to latest available
Improved CPU governors performance
Most optimal system scheduler
Disabled kernel debugging for better performance
Zipaligned (Improved RAM management)
Zipalign on boot (for user applications on data partition)
Fully de-odexed
init.d scripts (BusyBox run-parts) support
Auto init.d permissions set on boot

sysro/sysrw commands support
Excellent battery life!
Improved EXT4 performance
OpenVPN support
Most up-to-date system files permissions
Adobe Flash Player support
Support almost 24h a day
...and many more!
you don't get all those things just by being Root
HTC One 32 GB AT&T

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


[OTA Captured] Android 4.4.3 Lands on European HTC One M7

The secound release of the Android L Developer Previewmay be the new hotness for … more

Take a Perfectly Stable Shot with Open Camera

The camera app on our Android smartphones and tablets isn’t something we focus on all … more

Motorola Droid X Receives Almost Fully Functional KitKat Port

While we are all wondering when Google will decide to officially release … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: Kids Mode for Your Phone – XDA Developer TV

The greatest thing about technology is its ability to teach and promote … more