5,594,077 Members 47,149 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Use Root Apps When Unrooted?

Tip us?

fade2black101
Old
(Last edited by fade2black101; 1st February 2014 at 06:47 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 64
Default Use Root Apps When Unrooted?

Hi guys

Basically I need to stay unrooted because certain apps don't work with root. On 4.1.2 I used an OTA Rootkeeper app to toggle root when need be. Now on 4.3 I rooted to remove bloat and install a couple apps, then unrooted again by deleting all the su stuff with root explorer. OTA Rootkeeper and other apps to toggle root do not work properly with 4.3.

Basically I am enjoying the Viper4Android mod even though I am unrooted, and on 4.1.2 I noticed that mods such as the xposed multiwindow would work even if root was toggled off. I tried installing it on 4.3 but got a bootloop and had to start again. Right now I have set up everything I wanted on root and have unrooted my phone and everything is fine. However, I am curious if I can root again, install this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...smanager&hl=en and then unroot again? Bear in mind that Viper works fine even though I have removed root, and the xposed multiwindow worked fine with root toggled off on 4.1.2... I just don't want to end up with a bootloop again and have to start all over.

I'm also wondering if it is possible to install a custom recovery and keep it even after I unroot. I'll only need to use it for backup purposes.

Cheers!
Current Devices: Samsung Galaxy Note II, LG Nexus 4

Previous Devices: HTC Wizard, HTC Kaiser, HTC Touch Pro 2, HTC Desire Z, iPhone 3G, HTC Mozart, HTC EVO 3D, HTC Trophy, iPhone 4, HTC One S, iPhone 4S

0tt0m@n
Old
Thanks Meter 147

DONATE TO ME
try to block the root unwanted apps with this http://repo.xposed.info/module/com.devadvance.rootcloak
BLOG - G+

My Previous Devices:
Motorola Mpx200 > Motorola Mpx220 > HP rw6815 > Toshiba G900 > Samsung I900 Omnia > Samsung I8000 Omnia II > Samsung I9000 Galaxy S > Samsung I9100 Galaxy S II > Samsung N7100 Galaxy Note II

fade2black101
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0tt0m@n View Post
try to block the root unwanted apps with this http://repo.xposed.info/module/com.devadvance.rootcloak
Hi

Thanks for the info, but I've already tried that and the Cydia one. As far as I'm aware the SkyGo app I use has no solution apart from unrooting. Similarly, xposed caused a bootloop on 4.3 for me, so I'd rather avoid it as I cba to do a factory reset again.

Previous Devices: HTC Wizard, HTC Kaiser, HTC Touch Pro 2, HTC Desire Z, iPhone 3G, HTC Mozart, HTC EVO 3D, HTC Trophy, iPhone 4, HTC One S, iPhone 4S

fade2black101
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 64
Is there any reason for this app not to behave like viper4android and work when unrooted?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

fade2black101
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 64
Risking having to do a factory reset, I tested this and it works.

Good news for ppl that want to use apps like skygo but dont need to be perninantly rooted but like to have mods like viper and multiwindow working.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

The Following User Says Thank You to fade2black101 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]