[Q] Need help restoring my KFSOWI

Tip us?

Karelian_
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Need help restoring my KFSOWI

Hey everyone,

first off, I have my Kindle for a few weeks now and it's my first Androit device. I started reading into rooting and adb commands only a few days ago, so please excuse me if I'm not writing accurately with some terms. Additionally, I could not find a similar problem via searching.

Here's my problem (I'll try to be as detailed as possible):
I rooted my KFSOWI running 11.3.1.0 yesterday using Moronigs rooting method. It went well and I had full root access (typing su in an adb shell resulted in an # and all that).
Today I wanted to edit the framework-res.apk to exchange some images. Stupid as I tend to be I wanted to rename the original file and then paste my modified one. The device started giving out various crashes, telling me that lots of apps stopped working. Only then I realised that the file is needed to run the system. Unfortunately the Kindle had shut down at some point and when I boot it now it only gives me a black screen (although the backlight is still on).

Here's what I tried so far:
1. I wanted to adb push the modified file to the system/framework folder, but it tells me that the folder is read-only.
2. So I wanted to change permissions but it seems I don't have root access anymore (I don't even get the # output in the adb-shell after typing su).
3. I tried installing the package via adb but it says "Error: COuld not access package manager. Is the system running?"

I guess it doesn't boot up the package manager and root access. You guys have any idea what I can do right now? Seems like a lost cause to me. And if so, can I try sending it back via warranty?

Any help is very much appreciated. And thanks for all the great work on these forums.

Karelian_
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Does nobody have an idea? Would be very sad if I couldn't use it anymore. Although I'm the only one to blame. Does someone have experience on sending it back to amazon for warranty? As far as I know rooted devices lose their warranty.. :-/

LinearEquation
Old
Thanks Meter 324

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karelian_ View Post
Hey everyone,

first off, I have my Kindle for a few weeks now and it's my first Androit device. I started reading into rooting and adb commands only a few days ago, so please excuse me if I'm not writing accurately with some terms. Additionally, I could not find a similar problem via searching.

Here's my problem (I'll try to be as detailed as possible):
I rooted my KFSOWI running 11.3.1.0 yesterday using Moronigs rooting method. It went well and I had full root access (typing su in an adb shell resulted in an # and all that).
Today I wanted to edit the framework-res.apk to exchange some images. Stupid as I tend to be I wanted to rename the original file and then paste my modified one. The device started giving out various crashes, telling me that lots of apps stopped working. Only then I realised that the file is needed to run the system. Unfortunately the Kindle had shut down at some point and when I boot it now it only gives me a black screen (although the backlight is still on).

Here's what I tried so far:
1. I wanted to adb push the modified file to the system/framework folder, but it tells me that the folder is read-only.
2. So I wanted to change permissions but it seems I don't have root access anymore (I don't even get the # output in the adb-shell after typing su).
3. I tried installing the package via adb but it says "Error: COuld not access package manager. Is the system running?"

I guess it doesn't boot up the package manager and root access. You guys have any idea what I can do right now? Seems like a lost cause to me. And if so, can I try sending it back via warranty?

Any help is very much appreciated. And thanks for all the great work on these forums.
At this point, I would send it back to Amazon. all they will check for is physical damage and send it back to China. I hear some people bricking their tablet several times and getting a replacement. Thing is that Amazon's warranty questions are only water damage and did you drop it questions. So you don't even have to BS them to get a replacement.
The Following User Says Thank You to LinearEquation For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

braider
Old
Thanks Meter 0
If you have a fast boot cable you might restore it. Now it's not the cable that came with Kindle, it's a special programming cable that will put it into fast boot mode.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire2 using xda app-developers app

LinearEquation
Old
Thanks Meter 324

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by braider View Post
If you have a fast boot cable you might restore it. Now it's not the cable that came with Kindle, it's a special programming cable that will put it into fast boot mode.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire2 using xda app-developers app
There are no exploits for this boot loader yet. Don't think a fastboot cord will do much at the time.

Sent from Nexus 7 flo running SinLess ROM 4.2.2 using xda app-developers app
[ROOT]
2013 KFHD7 KFSOWI with firmware 11.x.x.x KFSOWI (no camera/no HDMI output) http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2544736 Post 10 at the link has instructions to block Amazon OTA updates on KFHD 7 KFSOWI
Remove Ads from Lockscreen KFHD7 2013 KFSOWI http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=48623841

kyleberry.graphics
Old
Thanks Meter 55

DONATE TO ME
Did noone come up with a solution, because i did the same thing, with the framework-res.apk
i can make a fastboot cable if itll do any good without an unlocked bootloader. could i possibly push the most recent update.bin from amazon and restore the device to stock???

---------- Post added at 04:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 AM ----------

i wouldnt take bricked for an answer and i found a fix

what i did was make sure the kindle was connected to adb and typed the following

adb reboot
adb wait-for-device shell su

the shell managed to snag the SU file and displayed # before the device looped thru all of the boot apps over and over, but then CMD froze.

so i tried this

adb reboot
adb wait-for-device shell su mount -o remount,rw -t ext4 /dev/block/platform/omap/omap.hsmmc.1/by-name/system /system

and in one line got root access and remounted the system as RW

my problem was that framework-res APK was replaced with ZIP so all i had to do was rename it

# cp /system/framework/framework-res.zip /system/framework/framework-res.apk

and success!!

# exit
$ exit
adb reboot

and she booted right up!!!!

jlb00s
Old
Thanks Meter 0
First response so please be kind. My KFSOWI is stuck in the bootloop too. I have a factory cable and can get into fastboot but don't have any factory images to restore. Anyone have any ideas?

kyleberry.graphics
Old
Thanks Meter 55

DONATE TO ME
Do you get any adb access? I don't think casebook will be any help until someone unlocks the bootloader

Sent from my KFSOWI using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
If i help you out stroke my ego and hit that THANKS button
Device: (KFSOWI) 11.3.2.2 2013 Kindle Fire HD 7 in. ROOTED
KFSOWI Development community HERE