Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,331 Members 39,058 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Root

Tip us?

tupirujp
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 83
Default Root

Is there a way to root the gs3 whit out connecting the phone to a computer ?
I can't freaking connect or have my phone to be read by my laptop ..
I'm going insane ... I'm running AT&T 4.3 but its laggy so I need to try a Rom

Some help please
I read all over the place about the gs3 issues whit the laptops .....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

theramsey3
Old
Thanks Meter 142
Not that I'm aware of. Do you have custom recovery now? I.e. twrp or cwm? If so you can download a pre rooted rom with the phone if not good luck avoiding the computer... is there a reason why you are unable to use your phone and laptop together? Perhaps we can devise a solution to help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

audit13
Old
Thanks Meter 345
Do you have any warranty left? Rooting or installing non-official Samsung ROMs will trip the Knox counter, assuming stock AT&T 4.3.

shortydoggg
Old
Thanks Meter 254
Either you have a bad cord or USB port, or you need to install the Samsung USB drivers.

If you need root, you're not going to get around using a computer.

tupirujp
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 83
See ... i try multiple cords ... Install drivers for i747 ... Install kies ... but the computer won't recognize the device .. i try many ways ... warranty I do ... I was planning to send it to Samsung .... but I read on many forums that these model phone has a issue

pc103
Old
(Last edited by pc103; 2nd February 2014 at 10:07 PM.) Reason: Correction
Thanks Meter 53
Theramsey's question of custom recovery is important.

There is a recovey flashable solution for our phones at http://www.epiccm.org/2012/06/team-e...overy.html?m=1

You can copy any files you need to a microSD card also to get them onto your phone.

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 PM ----------

But if you got 4.3 OTA & you do not want to lose warranty, be careful. Custom recovery might have already broken warranty.

shortydoggg
Old
Thanks Meter 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc103 View Post
Theramsey's question of custom recovery is important. The CF-Auto-Root-d2att-d2uc-samsungsghi747.zip can be flashed from recovery, or from Mobile Odin (by Chainfire) available in these forums.

Read Chainfire's instructions for Auto Root. You can copy any files you need to a microSD card also to get them onto your phone.

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 PM ----------

But if you got 4.3 OTA & you do not want to lose warranty, be careful. Custom recovery might have already broken warranty.

WHAT??

I think that they are looking to root, and are not already rooted.

How is mobile odin going to be used to flash CF-Auto Root to root when the phone needs to already be rooted to use Mobile Odin? Mobile Odin is a rooted app.

And what good is putting the files on microsd when you still need a computer, in this case which will not connect, and odin to flash?

Those files in that zip are not for flashing from the microsd. One is the desktop Odin, one is the .tar file which you need the desktop Odin, and the other is the desktop configuration file for Odin.

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupirujp View Post
See ... i try multiple cords ... Install drivers for i747 ... Install kies ... but the computer won't recognize the device .. i try many ways ... warranty I do ... I was planning to send it to Samsung .... but I read on many forums that these model phone has a issue

It sounds like you have a bad USB port on your phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to shortydoggg For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pc103
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Thank you for catching my mistake about the CF-Auto..zip. It only delivers an Odin package. CF's instructions clarify it's use for fist time stock rooting, but that won't help with OP's problem.

I posted a recovery flash alternative in my correction Copying files to microSD via a built in PC card reader is a workaround for bad USB cables and PC usb ports that would apply here.