Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,956 Members 48,462 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[q] still unlocked after ota 4.3???

Tip us?

millerma1
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 39
Default [q] still unlocked after ota 4.3???

Alright, I've read everything and I'm still confused.

I had to get my phone back to stock because my work forced us to install "airwatch" on our phones. I've got a new job so I'm back in the game...

I took the OTA 4.3 because I haven't been rooted in awhile and was not keeping up with the community. I've read that if you take the OTA then your bootloader is locked forever.....then I've read that if you unlocked your bootloader it is FOREVER unlocked.

I am assuming it is locked. However, when I boot up my phone.....the first screen is the Samsung logo and below it is the unlock symbol with the word "custom" underneath it.

Does that mean I'm still unlocked and ready to ROM? I have factory reset and rooted....

thanks for your help!

bandroid7
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerma1 View Post
I took the OTA 4.3
So no, no custom ROMs. Only Safestrap 3.71 with 4.3 TW ROMs which seem pretty limited at the moment. I'm using Old&Slow's Stock Root Deodex from this thread.

millerma1
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 39
Thanks for the help man. So safe strap is the custom recovery? And we are good for TW roms. Thanks for the links too

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

NeoMagus
Old
Thanks Meter 470

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerma1 View Post
I am assuming it is locked. However, when I boot up my phone.....the first screen is the Samsung logo and below it is the unlock symbol with the word "custom" underneath it.

Does that mean I'm still unlocked and ready to ROM? I have factory reset and rooted....

thanks for your help!
That just means your /system was detected to not be stock and was flagged "Custom" and is no longer "Official" (you can see this status in settings>about phone>Status)

If you took the OTA, your bootloader is locked. No going back
Nexus 7 16GB C8 4.4.4 / Unlocked /Rooted
Nexus 7 32GB v2 4.4.4 / Unlocked /Rooted
LTE Galaxy Nexus 32GB 4.4.4 / Unlocked /Rooted
LTE Galaxy SIII 32GB 4.4.4 CM11 / Unlocked /Rooted
LTE Galaxy Note 3 NC2 4.4.2 / Rooted

"Executing sudo command."