FORUMS

Which Lockscreen Security Type Do You Use?

From pattern locks to the controversial face unlock, there are a number of different ways you … more

Xposed 3.0 Alpha 3 Released

A new alpha for the Xposed framework is out and brings several bug fixes. You’ll only need to flash … more

XDA Recap: This Week In Android (Apr 18 – 25)

Here in the digital XDA newsroom, we spend our days pouring over an average of … more

Sunday Debate: Custom ROMs vs. Modular Tweaks

Join us in a fun Sunday Debate on Mods and ROMs. Come with your opinions and feel free to … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

Moto G: The last powerful well-made budget phone

1st February 2014, 09:34 AM |#1  
lost101's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2,558
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

The reason why Google bought Motorola Mobility for 12 billion dollars and sold it for three is that it stripped the company of most of its patents before selling it. Patents are what enable companies to use technologies without having to pay expensive licensing agreements with patent owners. And failing to do so can result in extremely costly legal battles.

Lenovo has its own share of patents, and there are a few little stringy bits of IP flesh left on Motorola’s bones. But without the old library of Motorola patents to hand, making a new phone as cheap and good as the Moto G may simply not be possible.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinio...motorola-phone
 
 
1st February 2014, 10:20 AM |#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 16
 
More
Although I have a Nexus 5, this makes me feellike I should maybe get the Moto G GPE just as a backup
1st February 2014, 11:10 AM |#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 781
 
More
Talk about oxymoron for a website name.

sent via tapatalk
1st February 2014, 06:25 PM |#4  
Member
Thanks Meter: 19
 
More
Google got 17000 patents when they bought moto and now while selling moto to lenovo, they gave only 2000 patents. But lenovo got the license for the remaining patents as part of the sale. So they have all the technology to develop great quality phones like moto g.


But moto g is now sold at very low margin because mighty google can afford it(It'll make it up in software). But lenovo is no google. so they have to sell at higher margin to bring profit. So even if they make phones like moto g, the price will be higher...
2nd February 2014, 03:54 PM |#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 626
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by satheesh.a


But moto g is now sold at very low margin because mighty google can afford it(It'll make it up in software). But lenovo is no google. so they have to sell at higher margin to bring profit. So even if they make phones like moto g, the price will be higher...

Motorola already stated they were making a decent profit margin on the Moto G. I don't think Lenovo would have a problem making a small profit on a low end phone. All low end phones have small margins. Lenovo is in a lot of countries that require low-end phones. It seems like a perfect match to me.
2nd February 2014, 03:58 PM |#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 61
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozzykid

Motorola already stated they were making a decent profit margin on the Moto G. I don't think Lenovo would have a problem making a small profit on a low end phone. All low end phones have small margins. Lenovo is in a lot of countries that require low-end phones. It seems like a perfect match to me.

Plus they are used to razor thin margins from their PC business.

I just hope they won't screw everyone by using exclusively MTK crap (like in most of their current phones). Or if they do, at least they should twist MTK's arm (see what I did there?) to release sources...
3rd February 2014, 01:12 AM |#7  
Member
Thanks Meter: 19
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozzykid

Motorola already stated they were making a decent profit margin on the Moto G. I don't think Lenovo would have a problem making a small profit on a low end phone. All low end phones have small margins. Lenovo is in a lot of countries that require low-end phones. It seems like a perfect match to me.

I agree with you that lenovo being ok with low margin. But they'll be ok until getting enough market share. after that they'll increase margins to bring in money... If you think moto g's margin is "decent", then check out profit margin of samsung and apple

I believe lenovo bought moto mainly to gain market share in US and latin america. In asian market[low-end phone market], they are already stronger than motorola.But they'll try to push motorola in asian market because of it's well established brand name in mobile industry..

try reading this one http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...42511374858016
3rd February 2014, 04:35 AM |#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 626
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by satheesh.a

I agree with you that lenovo being ok with low margin. But they'll be ok until getting enough market share. after that they'll increase margins to bring in money... If you think moto g's margin is "decent", then check out profit margin of samsung and apple

Samsung has terrible margins on most of their phones they sell that aren't part of their flagship family. Samsung's last few quarters has shown their profit margins going down even more. No one has found a way to make high profit margins on low end phones. The only way to win that war is with volume. I don't see Lenovo changing much with the Moto G looking forward. When they take control of Motorola it will be at least a year or two before they can really make an sweeping changes.
3rd February 2014, 04:48 AM |#9  
CADude's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 645
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazinya

Although I have a Nexus 5, this makes me feellike I should maybe get the Moto G GPE just as a backup

Why? So you can have a smartphone just to have it collecting dust, losing value, and becoming obsolete instead of using it?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes