Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Chromecast showing as internet connection SSID question...

OP siratfus

3rd February 2014, 07:42 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 13

59 posts
Sometimes when I lose connection and I try to reconnect, both my chromecast would show up in the Wireless Network Connection list of SSIDs. Why does that happen sometime? Whenever this happens and someone in the neighborhood happens to see it and clicks on it, can they connect to my internet?
3rd February 2014, 08:01 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 882

2,248 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by siratfus

Sometimes when I lose connection and I try to reconnect, both my chromecast would show up in the Wireless Network Connection list of SSIDs. Why does that happen sometime? Whenever this happens and someone in the neighborhood happens to see it and clicks on it, can they connect to my internet?

This is normal behavior and Chromecast will stop broadcasting once it reconnects to your access point.

In Setup mode, Chromecast becomes an Access Point so the Chromecast app can connect to it and set the connection parameters for it to connect to your Access Point.

Since it is an unsecured AP, anyone can connect (and it supports multiple clients). However, whoever connects does not have access to your network or your Internet connection. They are connecting to that Chromecast and that Chromecast alone.

Worst-case scenario* is that someone configures your Chromecast to connect to their WiFi/WLAN and plays videos on your TV. They still won't have access to your network or your Internet connection, and since you still have the device, getting it back is as simple as doing a factory reset via the button (this clears the settings - it doesn't change the firmware/ROM).

* Rooted Chromecasts running Eureka-ROM v1.1 or earlier can potentially expose your WiFi credentials. This will be fixed in an upcoming Eureka-ROM update (and one is scheduled for very soon). To reduce the risk of attack, disable ADB, Telnet and SSH access in the web panel, and if you are going to turn off your WiFi, unplug your Chromecasts too.
Note that the core insecurity is Google's design, not Team Eureka's. So Team Eureka is actually working to add some security over Google's lack of security there. It's kind of like leaving your door unlocked and relying on the fact that your driveway is unmarked and difficult to spot... The added features of Eureka-ROM just make the driveway easier to spot, but that isn't an excuse for not locking your door.
Last edited by bhiga; 3rd February 2014 at 04:31 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bhiga For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd February 2014, 12:07 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 13

59 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga

This is normal behavior and Chromecast will stop broadcasting once it reconnects to your access point.

In Setup mode, Chromecast becomes an Access Point so the Chromecast app can connect to it and set the connection parameters for it to connect to your Access Point.

Since it is an unsecured AP, anyone can connect (and it supports multiple clients). However, whoever connects does not have access to your network or your Internet connection. They are connecting to that Chromecast and that Chromecast alone.

Worst-case scenario* is that someone configures your Chromecast to connect to their WiFi/WLAN and plays videos on your TV. They still won't have access to your network or your Internet connection, and since you still have the device, getting it back is as simple as doing a factory reset via the button (this clears the settings - it doesn't change the firmware/ROM).

* Rooted Chromecasts running Eureka-ROM v1.1 or earlier can potentially expose your WiFi credentials. This will be fixed in an upcoming Eureka-ROM update (and one is scheduled for very soon). To reduce the risk of attack, [b]disable/b] ADB, Telnet and SSH access in the web panel, and if you are going to turn off your WiFi, unplug your Chromecasts too.
Note that the core insecurity is Google's design, not Team Eureka's. So Team Eureka is actually working to add some security over Google's lack of security there. It's kind of like leaving your door unlocked and relying on the fact that your driveway is unmarked and difficult to spot... The added features of Eureka-ROM just make the driveway easier to spot, but that isn't an excuse for not locking your door.

Wow! Thanks BHIGA! That was very informative.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread