Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] MJ5 'safe' ? If not, what to avoid?

OP washi

20th January 2014, 08:51 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
78 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2007
Hi All,

I have a 4.3 custom rom and the MJ5 bootloader.
Mostly I have read that the bootloader is safe and the warranty flag will not be triggered.
However some posts speak about a warranty flag 0x1 while using MJ5.

Is the bootloader completely safe or are there some things I should not flash? (Besides newer bootloader)

Thanks in advance.

Regards
21st January 2014, 09:45 AM   |  #2  
dalanik's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Prague
Thanks Meter: 227
 
1,102 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2009
More
It's not warranty flag, it is Knox flag. It doesn't have anything in common with warranty And yes, MJ5 is safe since it has no Knox.
3rd February 2014, 03:20 AM   |  #3  
Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
65 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalanik

It's not warranty flag, it is Knox flag. It doesn't have anything in common with warranty And yes, MJ5 is safe since it has no Knox.

Does this mean with MJ5 bootloader I can root, flash custom recovery and nonknox-firmware by PC Odin or knox-firmware by Mobile Odin freely without worrying about knox flag 0 to 1?
3rd February 2014, 12:02 PM   |  #4  
dalanik's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Prague
Thanks Meter: 227
 
1,102 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2009
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by congminh1709

Does this mean with MJ5 bootloader I can root, flash custom recovery and nonknox-firmware by PC Odin or knox-firmware by Mobile Odin freely without worrying about knox flag 0 to 1?

You can flash custom recovery (Phils v5.15 recommended) and custom ROMs. The only thing that will change is flash counter, but you can reset that with Triangle Away (will be increased each time you go to recovery, so you must run triangle away again), but you don't have to worry about KNOX, if you don't flash ROM wih KNOX (that is update bootloader). ROMs that are flashed from ODIN can have bootloader but if you flash from RECOVERY then you don't have to worry because these ROMs can't have bootloader.
3rd February 2014, 02:54 PM   |  #5  
Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
65 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalanik

You can flash custom recovery (Phils v5.15 recommended) and custom ROMs. The only thing that will change is flash counter, but you can reset that with Triangle Away (will be increased each time you go to recovery, so you must run triangle away again), but you don't have to worry about KNOX, if you don't flash ROM wih KNOX (that is update bootloader). ROMs that are flashed from ODIN can have bootloader but if you flash from RECOVERY then you don't have to worry because these ROMs can't have bootloader.

It means if I flash stock ROM 4.3+ wih KNOX by PC Odin (update bootloader), does knox flag security change 0 to 1? If knox security is 1 then no way to revert back to 0?
3rd February 2014, 02:56 PM   |  #6  
dalanik's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Prague
Thanks Meter: 227
 
1,102 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2009
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by congminh1709

It means if I flash stock ROM 4.3+ wih KNOX by PC Odin (update bootloader), does knox flag security change 0 to 1? If knox security is 1 then no way to revert back to 0?

No, if you flash STOCK 4.3+ with KNOX, you will have KNOX security and you will not be able to DOWNGRADE bootloader ever again. Only if you try to flash other non-official ROM without KNOX, will you have KNOX security 1.

And yes - there is no way to reverse KNOX security back to 0.
The Following User Says Thank You to dalanik For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes