Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,471 Members 42,845 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Paleo Diet?

Tip us?

mike21pr
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 81
Default Paleo Diet?

Like a lot of people, Im looking to clean up my lifestyle to be more active and lose weight. I have heard a lot of ketogenic types of diets specially the Paleo Diet which basically means to eat like the caveman (before grains, processed foods etc.) which makes sense since long ago there was no such obesity problems or health issues as today. Anyone heard of tried something like this?

What are your thoughts on this?

Sent from my Moto G GPE
Carrier: AT&T USA
Current OS: Android 4.4.2 KitKat (Stock)
Current Device: Moto G Google Play Edition

vbetts
Old
Thanks Meter 53
All of those "diets" where you eat a certain way don't work, and some can make you sick. There is no easy trick to diet or lose weight, it takes effort. Those efforts include,

1. Don't eat junk! If you do have like a candy bar once in awhile, that's fine.

2. Watch you calorie intake. The average adult body needs at least 2000 calories a day to live a healthy life, there's a difference between just living and actually being active. For example, if you're active and eat about 3000 calories a day, your body will adjust to that. But if you stop being active, your body will still be adjusted to those 3000 calories.

3. Watch out for the "silent killers," sodium, sugars, syrups. These are easy ways to hold in water weight in the body. This includes soda pops, "lemonades," some juices that are watered down with sugar, and the worst one alcohol.

4. Yes if you want to be healthy you do need to do some type of exercise! Exercise combined with a good diet will speed up your metabolism. Some people seem lucky that they have quick metabolisms. With that though it's either one of two things. Genetics play into it, or they do things like take stairs, or don't take short cuts, or walk fast or hard that helps match the calories they intake without even noticing they do it. If it is genetics, it will at some point slow down.

5. Don't waste time on those meal replacement smoothies and drinks. Those trick your body into thinking you haven't eaten any solid foods, and despite having high calories, your body will still crave solid food! Plus it's not healthy to go on an all liquid diet if you don't need to.

6. Make sure you get the right amount of nutrients and vitamins you need daily. If you don't like fruits, vegis or meat, you can take supplemental pills for your proteins and basic vitamins.

7. If you cut out pre cooked foods and boxed foods with preservatives and all those chemicals that help keep food longer in boxes or safe to eat, that drops a lot of unwanted calories and bad fats. It is more expensive and takes more time to make your food from scratch(such as actually making cheesy hamburger casserole compared to making hamburger helper), but it is a heck of a lot healthier for you.

7. Bottom line, only you can do it. You can have motivation to help you, but you have to want it. If you slip up and eat either junky food, or a higher calorie meal then you better be prepared to match what you ate in calories with exercise.

There's no secret in that. Eat healthy, exercise, and you will in time lose weight and feel healthier.
xdadevelopers
Samsung Galaxy S3 i747
-AOSB 1.3.1 Kitkat 4.4.2
-3.4.79 cyanogenmod kernel

KennCK
Old
Thanks Meter 0
my brain long for junk food during stressful times. It gets what it wants. Only after the project is done that I'll let discipline return into my life. Anyway listen to vbetts. My weight fluctuates, not good.