Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,629 Members 41,219 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Screen flicker / backlight / general badness (hardware issue)

Tip us?

tylik
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Default Screen flicker / backlight / general badness (hardware issue)

So, I managed to get my phone wet. Only very briefly, dried it, opened up everything and set it somewhere warm, dry and with good airflow for many hours (and then later a day) and while its issues have improved, it's still sometimes flicking, having colors drop out (weirdly reminiscent of old crts) and occasionally having the backlight very low or not on at all. So, badness.

My next step is probably to decase it and dry out the boards (somewhat inhibited by the thermostat on my roomate's reflow over being broken). My intuition, though, which is entirely suspect, is that there's a poor connection somewhere on there that's likely gotten worse. (It often had a similar though less severe flicker when attached to the charger and fully charged up.)

So. I'm entirely comfortable with decasing. I'm fine with surface mount. I have a lovely hot air rework station in the basement.

What I don't have is a) a good sense of what components are failing and, more to the point, b) where they are on the dratted board. I have found the one teardown, and need to go over it more carefully, but atm I'm doubting I can pull enough info out of it.

Any clues? This may well turn into "I buy another phone, and then if I fix this one give it to my sister..."

Jax184
Old
Thanks Meter 155
These phones are OLED. That means there's no backlight. The screen itself is simply not displaying correctly.

Did you open the screen section to dry the panel?

OLEDs are highly susceptible to water damage. It eats them up.
G310->StarTAC->Voq->SGH-D407->VS6->G1->Sidekick 4G->Relay 4G
The Sidekick 4G Hardware Guide - The Relay 4G Hardware Guide

tylik
Old
(Last edited by tylik; 2nd February 2014 at 11:25 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax184 View Post
These phones are OLED. That means there's no backlight. The screen itself is simply not displaying correctly.

Did you open the screen section to dry the panel?

OLEDs are highly susceptible to water damage. It eats them up.
Nope, not yet. Will as soon as I figure out where my roommate has put the electronics screwdrivers, as none of my multitools are fine enough.

Any pointers on opening the screen panel? I'm happy enough winging it once I find the tools, but the slider looks a bit tricky.

ETA: Okay, opened up the screen panel on one side, have airflow directed towards the interior now. Not sure if this is the ideal means, but it was quick and will be running while I explore other options. Comments welcomed.

tylik
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
No change in symptoms. If I have time, I'll open things up to the main board and check all the connections - corrosion or cruft there seems the next most likely.

tylik
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
...and then I decide to full reassemble it again, as a flickering phone is better than no phone. One of the clips to the screen casing hadn't been fulling seated, and snapped in, and it's been fine ever since. Not sure quite what the contributors were, but I'm just going to go with it for the time being.

Thanks.