Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Battery life and official KitKat 4.4.2

OP Tag49

3rd February 2014, 06:17 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
9 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2013
Hello,

I've seen some posts saying that the battery life was reduced after the 4.4.2 update.
In parallel, no post talking about an improvement of the battery.

Do you have any feedback / info on this topic ?

Thanks
3rd February 2014, 06:54 PM   |  #2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 11
 
9 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
Had the same problem. Contacted Motorola help through their website and got this canned response from one of their tier 1 techs. This solution solved my battery problem. Stock Moto G with with OTA 4.4.2. No battery apps to make the battery last longer or any of that nonsense.

Code:
This will remove any temporary files that may be causing the problem, but will not delete your files or settings.

1. With the phone powered off, press the VOL DOWN KEY for 2-3 seconds then POWER key then release.
2. The device will display different BOOT OPTIONS 
3. Use the VOL DOWN Key to SCROLL to Recovery and VOL UP Key to select
Tip: If the device reboots, you may have waited [too] long to make a selection, you will need to begin the process again. 
4. The device will display the Motorola logo and then the Android in distress (logo with Exclamation mark)
5. Press and hold the VOL UP key for 10-15 seconds. While still holding the VOL UP key tap and release the POWER key
Tip: You can try this step, holding the phone in landscape. If you are stuck on step 6, try a force reboot by pressing the Power key and Vol Down key, and start the process again.
6. The device will display additional menu options (Text will appear in BLUE) 
7. Use the VOL DOWN Key to scroll to wipe cache partition and the POWER Key to select this option
8. The device will then perform the partition wipe
9. The device will reboot and start the normal power up sequence
Last edited by tg cid; 3rd February 2014 at 07:09 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to tg cid For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd February 2014, 07:09 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
9 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2013
Question
Ok, thank you for your feedback!

So there is really a correlation between battery lifetime and 4.4 update !

But HOW wiping cache partition can affect the battery ??
3rd February 2014, 07:17 PM   |  #4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 11
 
9 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
Based on the myriad of tech support threads I read before begrudgingly enabling Google+ account just to get to Motorola tech support; there is some app that is preventing the phone to go into idle mode causing the battery to drain ridiculously fast. If you got into your battery life stats page in settings you should notice that your "Phone idle" is somewhere in the 1%-2% range. Not sure why it fixes the battery problem, or what caused it in the first place.
3rd February 2014, 07:29 PM   |  #5  
Senior Member
Flag Washington, D.C.
Thanks Meter: 36
 
271 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tg cid

Based on the myriad of tech support threads I read before begrudgingly enabling Google+ account just to get to Motorola tech support; there is some app that is preventing the phone to go into idle mode causing the battery to drain ridiculously fast. If you got into your battery life stats page in settings you should notice that your "Phone idle" is somewhere in the 1%-2% range. Not sure why it fixes the battery problem, or what caused it in the first place.

Kinda disagree with this statement. I have stock OTA 4.4.2

My phone idle is at 15-20% over 3.5 days, but I've run into the 1% calibration issue where the phone dies randomly and starts at 1%. I don't think its an app preventing the phone from idling, but it could be uncleared cache files in the partition messing things up..
3rd February 2014, 07:38 PM   |  #6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 11
 
9 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by fubag

My phone idle is at 15-20% over 3.5 days, but I've run into the 1% calibration issue where the phone dies randomly and starts at 1%. I don't think its an app preventing the phone from idling, but it could be uncleared cache files in the partition messing things up..

Currently I get similar performance; but when my battery was going down to zero within four hours is when I noticed that my "Phone idle" was in the single digit range.

Code:
Taken a few minutes before posting http://i.imgur.com/RnMYLE7.png
Last edited by tg cid; 3rd February 2014 at 07:43 PM.
3rd February 2014, 08:00 PM   |  #7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 16
 
215 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tg cid

Had the same problem. Contacted Motorola help through their website and got this canned response from one of their tier 1 techs. This solution solved my battery problem. Stock Moto G with with OTA 4.4.2. No battery apps to make the battery last longer or any of that nonsense.

Code:
This will remove any temporary files that may be causing the problem, but will not delete your files or settings.

1. With the phone powered off, press the VOL DOWN KEY for 2-3 seconds then POWER key then release.
2. The device will display different BOOT OPTIONS 
3. Use the VOL DOWN Key to SCROLL to Recovery and VOL UP Key to select
Tip: If the device reboots, you may have waited [too] long to make a selection, you will need to begin the process again. 
4. The device will display the Motorola logo and then the Android in distress (logo with Exclamation mark)
5. Press and hold the VOL UP key for 10-15 seconds. While still holding the VOL UP key tap and release the POWER key
Tip: You can try this step, holding the phone in landscape. If you are stuck on step 6, try a force reboot by pressing the Power key and Vol Down key, and start the process again.
6. The device will display additional menu options (Text will appear in BLUE) 
7. Use the VOL DOWN Key to scroll to wipe cache partition and the POWER Key to select this option
8. The device will then perform the partition wipe
9. The device will reboot and start the normal power up sequence


dude thxs for this and by the way how you contact motorola ??
3rd February 2014, 08:17 PM   |  #8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 11
 
9 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by diecast

how you contact motorola ??

You're very welcome.
Code:
https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/mcp/service/p/30,6720,9050//action/auth#/service
"Chat Online with Us"
3rd February 2014, 08:23 PM   |  #9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 16
 
215 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2012
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by tg cid

You're very welcome.

Code:
https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/mcp/service/p/30,6720,9050//action/auth#/service
"Chat Online with Us"

thx dude !! will try this

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes