Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,051 Members 53,672 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Charging works, but no USB-OTG or computer connections working

Tip us?

Wyvernruler5
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Plug [Q] Charging works, but no USB-OTG or computer connections working

I have a Nexus 7 2012 that is about 1 years old and I love dearly. The problem is, I can't get it to connect to my pc. I have done extensive research here, and I can't seem to find any details about this problem or steps towards solving it. It is not simply an issue of bad cables or drivers incorrectly installed, seeing as I have used the same cables on my HTC One and they have worked fine, as well as I have tried Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Linux Ubuntu 13.10. There is no reaction from device manager whatsoever on any system. The nexus does not recognize that there is anything but an outlet on the other end of the cord. I do have working ADB installed on both Windows 7 and the Ubuntu setups. This may have something to do with a car charger I used a while back. I am willing to try internal repairs if that is necessary and someone has pointers, but I need to know what I am looking for.

I am a technology student who regularly does internal repairs on all manner of devices, so feel free to technical terminology if you feel the need. I should be able to follow along. Thanks for all of your help in advance.

demkantor
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2599
If it is not a driver issue or USB cable issue than I would go to firmware/software on tab first. In other words flash latest factory image and see if this helps at all.
If not than from what you have described I would assume the USB post on tab has a bent or broken pin, often just peeking in there will make it obvious but not always. You may be able to clean up port or bend a pin back into place but if you can't than you would need to solder in a new port. Luckily they are cheap ($5?) And so long as you are an experienced solderer than its rather easy to disassemble this tablet and solder in a new one
Best of luck!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Wyvernruler5
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Alright, I can't flash anything without being connected to some sort of computer, at least to my knowledge. Even wireless adb has a wired setup process. If you have anything as a workaround for that, that would be cool, though. As for soldering the port internally, this device is WAY easy to disassemble from what research I have done, and while I understand soldering conceptually, I have not actually done it in practice. I assume that soldering on a mobile system would be even more difficult.

On a separate note, I don't suppose that there is a change it would have actually damaged the flex cable would it? I feel like that's a possibility and it sort of worries me.

demkantor
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2599
If you're rooted you can flash a new ROM through recovery, just download ROM direct from tablet, if you still have a locked bootloader you can't do anything without a working USB
If you haven't soldered before this isn't the time to learn, if you have some electronics you don't mind screwing up play around with those first or just find someone to do it for you
Yes its way easy to disassemble

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Wyvernruler5
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Mine is a virgin device running stock Android 4.4.2 Kit Kat. Do I need special solder, or is normal electrical solder fine?

demkantor
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2599
Standard electrical solder, some flux, desolder ribbon, and a temp adjustable iron should be all you need. But its rather fine soldering so I don't recommend you do this on first attempt, practice on some old cheap electronics

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Wyvernruler5
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Alright. I am gonna take a look at replacing that whole flex cable because that seems quicker and less risk to the device. It is a bit more expensive, though. Round about $35 plus some smaller screwdrivers that I happen to have at my disposal.

I'll post updates as I work on it, for anyone watching this thread and that are interested.

demkantor
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2599
Probably the safest bet, best of luck to you!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app