Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,607 Members 52,505 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Connect TF300T in Asus Connect Dock to Linux Machine via Ethernet

Tip us?

jtdevxda
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Connect TF300T in Asus Connect Dock to Linux Machine via Ethernet

I'm attempting to connect my Asus TF300T in an Asus Connect Dock to a linux box using an ethernet crossover cable. The TF300T is running CM 10.2. After Googling a bit, I tried setting up new wired connections on the linux box using both the link-local method and the manual method and assigning an IP address. Unfortunately I havent been able to ping the linux box from the tablet using either method. This is uncharted territory for me and so am unsure how to proceed (or if this is even possible). Does anyone have any pointers they could share about how to accomplish this?

f69m
Old
Thanks Meter 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdevxda View Post
I'm attempting to connect my Asus TF300T in an Asus Connect Dock to a linux box using an ethernet crossover cable. The TF300T is running CM 10.2. After Googling a bit, I tried setting up new wired connections on the linux box using both the link-local method and the manual method and assigning an IP address. Unfortunately I havent been able to ping the linux box from the tablet using either method. This is uncharted territory for me and so am unsure how to proceed (or if this is even possible). Does anyone have any pointers they could share about how to accomplish this?
Sorry, no pointers, just a few things to look at.
Make sure on both sides that you have a valid IP address in the same subnet. You can use "ip addr" to list all interfaces and addresses.
On the PC manual assignment is probably best. For the tablet, you could run a DHCP server on your PC or assign it manually too.
If "ip addr" shows different IP addresses in the same subnet, and you still have no ping, the next best guess is to check the firewall rules on both sides.

Sent from my TF300T using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to f69m For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jtdevxda
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by f69m View Post
Sorry, no pointers, just a few things to look at.
Make sure on both sides that you have a valid IP address in the same subnet. You can use "ip addr" to list all interfaces and addresses.
On the PC manual assignment is probably best. For the tablet, you could run a DHCP server on your PC or assign it manually too.
If "ip addr" shows different IP addresses in the same subnet, and you still have no ping, the next best guess is to check the firewall rules on both sides.

I haven't been able to find a way to manually assign the IP for eth0 on the tablet, so I attempted to install a dhcp server on the linux box in hopes that it would then assign the IP address to the tablet. I installed isc-dhcp-server and made sure that the following line in /etc/default/isc-dhcp-server was set: INTERFACES="eth0". After running sudo service isc-dhcp-server restart on the linux box I shut wired connections off, plugged in the cross over cable to both machines, and then turned on the wired connection on the linux box that I created to use a manual IP (10.0.0.1). The tablet doesn't get an IP assigned that I can tell - at least nothing shows up when I run ifconfig or 'ip addr'.

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it or not, but on the tablet I took a look at /etc/dhcpcd/dhcpcd.conf and it appears that it only contains configuration for the wlan0 interface. Is it possible that I need to provide some additional configuration on the tablet side to get eth0 to work properly since it is being provided by the Asus Connect Dock?

f69m
Old
Thanks Meter 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdevxda View Post
I haven't been able to find a way to manually assign the IP for eth0 on the tablet, so I attempted to install a dhcp server on the linux box in hopes that it would then assign the IP address to the tablet. I installed isc-dhcp-server and made sure that the following line in /etc/default/isc-dhcp-server was set: INTERFACES="eth0". After running sudo service isc-dhcp-server restart on the linux box I shut wired connections off, plugged in the cross over cable to both machines, and then turned on the wired connection on the linux box that I created to use a manual IP (10.0.0.1). The tablet doesn't get an IP assigned that I can tell - at least nothing shows up when I run ifconfig or 'ip addr'.

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it or not, but on the tablet I took a look at /etc/dhcpcd/dhcpcd.conf and it appears that it only contains configuration for the wlan0 interface. Is it possible that I need to provide some additional configuration on the tablet side to get eth0 to work properly since it is being provided by the Asus Connect Dock?
That's a good point, probably you need to tell dhcpc on the tablet to work on eth0 too, never really tried that. Also you probably need to configure dhcpd on your PC for the subnet you use.
But maybe better to get a manually configured ping first, then tackle DHCP.

On your tablet try:
ip addr add 10.0.0.10/16 dev eth0
The /16 is just an example and should match the prefix set on your PC.
If you can get a ping with that, I am happy to assist you setting up DHCP.

The Following User Says Thank You to f69m For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jtdevxda
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by f69m View Post
That's a good point, probably you need to tell dhcpc on the tablet to work on eth0 too, never really tried that. Also you probably need to configure dhcpd on your PC for the subnet you use.
But maybe better to get a manually configured ping first, then tackle DHCP.

On your tablet try:
ip addr add 10.0.0.10/16 dev eth0
The /16 is just an example and should match the prefix set on your PC.
If you can get a ping with that, I am happy to assist you setting up DHCP.

That worked! Thanks. I was able to ping successfully in both directions. I need to do some further testing but I think I might be able to use the static IPs and avoid having to setup the DHCP server on the laptop. I will do further investigation in the morning and post results.