Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,802,856 Members 41,596 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Nexus 7

Tip us?

hema2010h
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Question [Q] Nexus 7

Is there any way to run Windows RT on Nexus 7

Ace42
Old
Thanks Meter 1,123
No...

Sent from my Optimus G
Main: LG G2 D-800 {Tmobile)
LG Opt G (e970)
Hybrid radios for E970
Surface RT 32GB--Kindle Fire 1G_CM11--SGS Vibrant_CM11
Owned: G1(Backup)-> Mytouch3GS(Sold) -> SideKick4G(Traded) -> MyTouch4G(Sold) -> Sensation 4G(Sold) -> Galaxy Player 5"(Sold) ->Nexus 4(broken)->LG Opt G

Insignificant
Old
Thanks Meter 1
No it's not possible.

But still, it would be fun

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2,699
We don't have the Board Support Package to run RT on the N7's hardware, I suspect. Additionally, you might need Secure Boot for a retail image (not sure, actually probably not, but maybe).

If you can get to a UEFI shell on the N7, you could *try* loading the restore image for a Gen1 Surface (or anything else that runs RT on hardware very similar to the N7), but I'd be shocked if it worked. You'd also need a license key, and I have no idea how you'd get that (they're usually only available to OEMs).

Sent from my Samsung ATIV S SGH-T899M using XDA Windows Phone 7 App
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.

waraukaeru
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hema2010h View Post
Is there any way to run Windows RT on Nexus 7
Like they said, that would be prohibitively difficult. However, you could try using your Nexus as a thin client to connect to a PC running Windows 8. There is an app called Splashtop that is a remote desktop client, and is free on a local network. It can stream fast enough to play a game, it's pretty cool. I actually use it on my Surface 2 to play games or run audio software from my desktop computer.

There is also an app called "Onlive Desktop" that allows you to have remote desktop access to a cloud computer running windows. Last time I tried it, it was Windows 7, but they could have changed by now.