Default [Q] KFHD7 w/ CM11 slow WLAN

Anyone else experiencing slow WLAN speed with their kindle fire hd 7 (2012) ?

I've been trying to stream some 720p videos from my computer to my tablet and it was unwatchable, sound was fine but the video lagged to all hell.
When using ES File Explorer to "copy" a file from my PC to the tablet, I see the speed caps at 1MB/s on the 5Ghz band (it's even less than that on 2.4Ghz), I need at least double that for video smooth video streaming. This is even more strange when I consider I can easily get my full internet speed of 2.4MB/s (20Mbps) on the tablet, yet WLAN caps out at 1MB/s.

Router is WNDR4300 Dual Band w/ DD-WRT on it. (It was doing the same with the stock firmware)

I'm using the latest CM11 rom from Hashcode ( cm-11-20140117 ), I've tried different roms(Omni, Carbon and all the previous updates of CM11 of Hashcode) and they all gave the same issue.
All of my others devices (2 laptops and 1 smartphones) all get at the very least 10MB/s in WLAN(40MB/s+ for the laptops) so I'm quite confused here. Is the Kindle Fire HD 7 just plain bad for WLAN or is there possibly something wrong with mine ?

(to clarify, WLAN or Wireless LAN is the connection between two devices on the same network, not the actual Internet access (WAN))