5,599,033 Members 32,020 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] 4g vs 3g (Battery life, can you live with 3g speeds?)

Tip us?

Sebz4n
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 31
Default [Q] 4g vs 3g (Battery life, can you live with 3g speeds?)

Hello!

I am considering changing my data plan to one without 4g.
And I am wondering if this will benefit battery life for the better, or if I won't feel it at all?

Also how about 3G speeds, I am used to 4G connectivity but I assume that one can do with 3G?

Has anyone else made this change, or should I pay $10 extra for 4G and so on?
Current: LG Nexus 5 & LG G Pad 8.3
Retired: Garmin Nüvifone A50, HTC Desire HD, Motorola Defy, Xperia Acro S, HP Touchpad, Galaxy Nexus, Asus TF101, Galaxy S2, Galaxy S3 4G, Lumia 920, Nexus 4, Nexus 10, Surface RT, Surface Pro, Xperia Tablet Z, HTC One, LG G2, Xperia Z1

lugiank
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebz4n View Post
Hello!

I am considering changing my data plan to one without 4g.
And I am wondering if this will benefit battery life for the better, or if I won't feel it at all?

Also how about 3G speeds, I am used to 4G connectivity but I assume that one can do with 3G?

Has anyone else made this change, or should I pay $10 extra for 4G and so on?
In my opinion 4g is useless. I live in Italy, there is 4g coverage only in a few cities and I don't feel the need at the moment
The Following User Says Thank You to lugiank For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

reinaldistic
Old
Thanks Meter 157

DONATE TO ME
Depends on the phone version, carrier, signal strengths and signal bands in the area

Sent from my VS980 4G using xda app-developers app

edoardomarco
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by lugiank View Post
In my opinion 4g is useless. I live in Italy, there is 4g coverage only in a few cities and I don't feel the need at the moment
I agree with you. Unfortunately i Live in italy too and i don t need 4g 4g is too much speed: for watching video or browsing Internet and forum for me 3g is enough

Inviato dal mio LG-D802

Zulake
Old
Thanks Meter 179
Here in the Netherlands we have currently 80% coverage in the whole country, which will be 100% in 1 or 2 months.
I noticed my signal strength and quality on 4g is more than 200% better compared to 3g, especially indoors.
With 3g I used to get 0-2 bars of signal strength on a certain place indoors. Now with 4g it's maximum signal strength on the same location.
This also applies to data transfer rates. On 3g it seems sloooooow to load stuff, but with 4g it's the same speed as on WiFi, pages load instantly and without waiting times at all.
4g also seems much easier on the battery. It barely drains battery on 4g, even with (very) low 4g signal strength.
Gently donate me a free 'Thanks' if I helped you out.
Device: LG G2 D802 International
ROM: CloudyPro II
Previous devices: HTC One X & HTC Desire HD