Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,098 Members 46,429 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] general help and understanding

Tip us?
 
ccarter70
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 1
Join Date: Jun 2012
Phone [Q] general help and understanding

I will soon be getting a samsung galaxy g4 32gb phone from att. I want to know the best way to root it and remove the bloatware mainly att stuff, without bricking or messing up the phone. I love the ability to root i did with my on sony xperia play. Unfornately the last phone i had a lg optimus g crash and burn after rooting and trying to remove bloatware. So I want to make sure I have no problems. I heard it was easy and simple to do with a galaxy line but i just don't want to mess it up i can afford buying new phones.

thanks

c carter
 
jd1639
Old
#2  
jd1639's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3051
Posts: 9,072
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Minnetonka, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarter70 View Post
I will soon be getting a samsung galaxy g4 32gb phone from att. I want to know the best way to root it and remove the bloatware mainly att stuff, without bricking or messing up the phone. I love the ability to root i did with my on sony xperia play. Unfornately the last phone i had a lg optimus g crash and burn after rooting and trying to remove bloatware. So I want to make sure I have no problems. I heard it was easy and simple to do with a galaxy line but i just don't want to mess it up i can afford buying new phones.

thanks

c carter
Dude read the stickies in the general forum. The s4 isn't so easy to root and rom
 
Sina Irvani
Old
#3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarter70 View Post
I will soon be getting a samsung galaxy g4 32gb phone from att. I want to know the best way to root it and remove the bloatware mainly att stuff, without bricking or messing up the phone. I love the ability to root i did with my on sony xperia play. Unfornately the last phone i had a lg optimus g crash and burn after rooting and trying to remove bloatware. So I want to make sure I have no problems. I heard it was easy and simple to do with a galaxy line but i just don't want to mess it up i can afford buying new phones.

thanks

c carter
I rooted mine with Chaifire's Autoroot and it was easy
but after rooting you dont get the updates!
so i want to unroot to get the official updates!
anyone knows any way to root without cancelling the updates?( I KNOW THAT after each update the root will be gone ! but i can reroot after each OTA updates!)
 
jd1639
Old
#4  
jd1639's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3051
Posts: 9,072
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Minnetonka, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sina Irvani View Post
I rooted mine with Chaifire's Autoroot and it was easy
but after rooting you dont get the updates!
so i want to unroot to get the official updates!
anyone knows any way to root without cancelling the updates?( I KNOW THAT after each update the root will be gone ! but i can reroot after each OTA updates!)
Bet you're not on mk2 firmware, I bet he is. Chainfire isn't going to work.
 
guut13
Old
#5  
guut13's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 964
Posts: 566
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Boston, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sina Irvani View Post
I rooted mine with Chaifire's Autoroot and it was easy
but after rooting you dont get the updates!
so i want to unroot to get the official updates!
anyone knows any way to root without cancelling the updates?( I KNOW THAT after each update the root will be gone ! but i can reroot after each OTA updates!)
Root alone doesn't block the OTA. In fact, going from MF3 to MK2, you could first root with jortex's method (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2387577) and enable survival mode. Then after the OTA, you will still have root.
 
Sina Irvani
Old
#6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by guut13 View Post
Root alone doesn't block the OTA. In fact, going from MF3 to MK2, you could first root with jortex's method (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2387577) and enable survival mode. Then after the OTA, you will still have root.
Tnx but somehow I DON WANNA KEEP THE ROOT!
i want it gone! without getting all my apps wiped out and i jus wanna get my updates back!
can u show me a 100% safe way to do it?


tnx in advance
 
jd1639
Old
#7  
jd1639's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3051
Posts: 9,072
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Minnetonka, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sina Irvani View Post
Tnx but somehow I DON WANNA KEEP THE ROOT!
i want it gone! without getting all my apps wiped out and i jus wanna get my updates back!
can u show me a 100% safe way to do it?


tnx in advance
If you're using supersu there is a full unroot method in the apps settings. Look there.
 
gottech
Old
#8  
gottech's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 44
Join Date: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarter70 View Post
I will soon be getting a samsung galaxy g4 32gb phone from att. I want to know the best way to root it and remove the bloatware mainly att stuff, without bricking or messing up the phone. I love the ability to root i did with my on sony xperia play. Unfornately the last phone i had a lg optimus g crash and burn after rooting and trying to remove bloatware. So I want to make sure I have no problems. I heard it was easy and simple to do with a galaxy line but i just don't want to mess it up i can afford buying new phones.

thanks

c carter
I rooted that phone with kingo root through the computer. Bloatware on the I removed bloatware with ROM toolbox pro however when trying to do ota update it looked for the bloatware and when it didn't find it ota failed. (looked that up in the failed log - hung on not finding chaton) flashed mk2 rom then only froze the bloatware. have to see if the next update will fail I don't think it will though because when I only froze bloatware on mf3 I did get the mj9 ota update successfully

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Benchmark Your CPU Performance with Mini CPU Integer Script

When it comes to device testing, there are two types of people on XDA. The first … more

Rid Yourself of Charging Annoyances with No Wake on Charge Xposed Module

Almost every OEM has skinned and otherwise modifiedAndroid to suit … more