Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,560 Members 54,089 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] general help and understanding

Tip us?

ccarter70
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Phone [Q] general help and understanding

I will soon be getting a samsung galaxy g4 32gb phone from att. I want to know the best way to root it and remove the bloatware mainly att stuff, without bricking or messing up the phone. I love the ability to root i did with my on sony xperia play. Unfornately the last phone i had a lg optimus g crash and burn after rooting and trying to remove bloatware. So I want to make sure I have no problems. I heard it was easy and simple to do with a galaxy line but i just don't want to mess it up i can afford buying new phones.

thanks

c carter

jd1639
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarter70 View Post
I will soon be getting a samsung galaxy g4 32gb phone from att. I want to know the best way to root it and remove the bloatware mainly att stuff, without bricking or messing up the phone. I love the ability to root i did with my on sony xperia play. Unfornately the last phone i had a lg optimus g crash and burn after rooting and trying to remove bloatware. So I want to make sure I have no problems. I heard it was easy and simple to do with a galaxy line but i just don't want to mess it up i can afford buying new phones.

thanks

c carter
Dude read the stickies in the general forum. The s4 isn't so easy to root and rom

Sina Irvani
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:

thanks

c carter
I rooted mine with Chaifire's Autoroot and it was easy
but after rooting you dont get the updates!
so i want to unroot to get the official updates!
anyone knows any way to root without cancelling the updates?( I KNOW THAT after each update the root will be gone ! but i can reroot after each OTA updates!)

jd1639
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sina Irvani View Post
anyone knows any way to root without cancelling the updates?( I KNOW THAT after each update the root will be gone ! but i can reroot after each OTA updates!)
Bet you're not on mk2 firmware, I bet he is. Chainfire isn't going to work.

guut13
Old
Thanks Meter 1,192
Quote:
Root alone doesn't block the OTA. In fact, going from MF3 to MK2, you could first root with jortex's method (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2387577) and enable survival mode. Then after the OTA, you will still have root.

Sina Irvani
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by guut13 View Post
Root alone doesn't block the OTA. In fact, going from MF3 to MK2, you could first root with jortex's method (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2387577) and enable survival mode. Then after the OTA, you will still have root.
Tnx but somehow I DON WANNA KEEP THE ROOT!
i want it gone! without getting all my apps wiped out and i jus wanna get my updates back!
can u show me a 100% safe way to do it?

tnx in advance

jd1639
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,335
Quote:
Tnx but somehow I DON WANNA KEEP THE ROOT!
i want it gone! without getting all my apps wiped out and i jus wanna get my updates back!
can u show me a 100% safe way to do it?

tnx in advance
If you're using supersu there is a full unroot method in the apps settings. Look there.

gottech
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:

thanks

c carter
I rooted that phone with kingo root through the computer. Bloatware on the I removed bloatware with ROM toolbox pro however when trying to do ota update it looked for the bloatware and when it didn't find it ota failed. (looked that up in the failed log - hung on not finding chaton) flashed mk2 rom then only froze the bloatware. have to see if the next update will fail I don't think it will though because when I only froze bloatware on mf3 I did get the mj9 ota update successfully