No registration required

[Q] Ubuntu on Surface RT using Bochs

OP streetsesh92

2nd February 2014, 11:19 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

7 posts
More
Someone ported Bochs (x86 PC Emulator) to the Surface (h t t p://w w w.windows-arm.c o m/index.p h p/desktop-apps-for-windows-rt/697-bochs-for-windows-rt), and I want to know how to set up Ubuntu 12.10 with it.
3rd February 2014, 09:22 AM   |  #2  
Flag Wieluń
Thanks Meter: 28

149 posts
More
It's too slow, just forget about it.
3rd February 2014, 01:25 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

7 posts
More
Would a different os work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitor

It's too slow, just forget about it.

I've seen people running Windows XP on their Android phones using Bochs. Could you use a Windows OS?
4th February 2014, 08:16 AM   |  #4  
Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 2,782

5,870 posts
More
An old-enough version of either Windows or Linux (or any other OS that runs on x86) will work, but I don't think you realize how slow we're talking about. It's not that you *couldn't* run 12.10 (or the decade-older XP), it's just that they'd be too slow to be of any use. You'll be much better off using native-ported apps, or even Mamaich's emulation layer; unlike emulating a full PC using Bochs, the emu layer only has to translate the program's code; most of its work can be done by native (ARM) Windows code and there's no need to emulate an entire x86 processor (with memory management and so on). Even so, the emu layer struggles with anything newer than about a decade old...

Sent from my Samsung ATIV S SGH-T899M using XDA Windows Phone 7 App
Last edited by GoodDayToDie; 4th February 2014 at 08:22 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoodDayToDie For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th February 2014, 01:15 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

7 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDayToDie

An old-enough version of either Windows or Linux (or any other OS that runs on x86) will work, but I don't think you realize how slow we're talking about. It's not that you *couldn't* run 12.10 (or the decade-older XP), it's just that they'd be too slow to be of any use. You'll be much better off using native-ported apps, or even Mamaich's emulation layer; unlike emulating a full PC using Bochs, the emu layer only has to translate the program's code; most of its work can be done by native (ARM) Windows code and there's no need to emulate an entire x86 processor (with memory management and so on). Even so, the emu layer struggles with anything newer than about a decade old...

Sent from my Samsung ATIV S SGH-T899M using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

Aw, man. Oh, well. Guess no Ubuntu any time soon.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread