XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Note 3 from Negri Tmobile just called me

Tip us?

barondebxl
Old
Thanks Meter 1210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techngro View Post
In my case, buying from Swappa was absolutely not different from buying from someone off the street. I still got screwed, Swappa was no help and neither was Paypal. I still have a phone that was blocked, the seller faces no consequences and still has my money (and yes, the IMEI was checked and he did have perfect feedback when I bought the device. In addition, when I called T-Mobile the day after I received the device and they told me that the device was not showing as EIP, turned out to be false).

As for Negri, it may well be that they are trying their best and are getting screwed by their suppliers, but I don't want that to be passed on to me. Plus, they were just stringing folks along for 3 weeks it probably would have been more than a month before I got my phone. That's just not good customer service.
I guess sh*t happens. But what do you mean by phone that was blocked?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Current Device: Nexus 7 2013

Recently Owned

Iphone 5S

LG G Flex

Galaxy Note3

LG G2

Techngro
Old
Thanks Meter 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawaisa View Post
Ebay is not reputable, Expansys costs more than it would from T-mobile and Swappa is good but there's still risk involved there since it's person to person (even if you ask for a receipt, it might not belong to that device).

In other words, there are no other reputable (and cheaper alternatives). Which is why the Negri deal seemed tempting to say the least.
You're right, but people will still take their chances to save some money, like I did with Swappa. Sometimes you can't learn a lesson from someone else, you have to learn it for yourself. It was an expensive lesson, and one that I will remember. No more 'reputable resellers', only direct from the carrier. The extra $100 is worth the piece of mind in knowing that I won't have to deal with being scammed again.

---------- Post added 4th February 2014 at 12:00 AM ---------- Previous post was 3rd February 2014 at 11:57 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by barondebxl View Post
I guess sh*t happens. But what do you mean by phone that was blocked?

I bought my Note 3 from Swappa and then the IMEI was blocked by T-Mobile (i.e. I can no longer use my T-Mobile branded phone on T-Mobile) for non-payment of EIP. I had to unlock the phone and now pay $20 more per month for half as much data on Straight Talk with an AT&T SIM card.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-900T
Bought on Swappa, Blocked by T-Mobile
Given life again via Chainfire's RegionLock Away
ROM: Stock - Rooted and Xposed
Recovery: TWRP 2.x

Kindle Fire
ROM: Back to Stock
Recovery: TWRP 2.2.x

2006: Samsung A900
2007: Original iPhone
2010: Nokia N900
2010: Moto Cliq
2011: HTC G2
2012: Galaxy S II
2012: Galaxy Note
2013: Galaxy Note 3

gordonzhao
Old
Thanks Meter 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickbird144 View Post
Just wanted to add I too bought a Note 3 for T-Mobile about a month back (off craigslist) and recently found out it was blacklisted only by running the IMEI. However I'm on AT&T and as soon as I purchased the phone I unlocked it for AT&T and have been using it fine ever since. I saw somewhere that the major companies share a list of blacklisted phones but I guess not?
The database will soon be combined.

Update on my incident, contacted Negri and Ryan Negri over the weekend, no response today from either, as expected. Called the offices, was told to file an RMA, so no device for that line atm, called shortly after to follow up, nothing happened. Get a email at the exact moment they close so they don't have to do anything until the next day as I called immediately. The RMA is to have me send the device back. Not sending it unless they're paying for shipping and guaranteeing there's more because they're not stocked right now, leaves me without leverage.

If you want a good reputation, offer good service, and get from trustworthy suppliers, making a quick buck for all this extra hassle for your company and customers? No thanks. This was my second purchase from them, not going to be a 3rd.

I would suggest any xda mods who see this to remove any advertisements for Negri electronics as there have been many incidents like this; fraudulent devices being sold to people, many of them belonging to the community here.

- Gordon

- Innostream Inno 90 > SE S700i > Motorola SLVR > SE w850i > TMO Wing > HTC Touch HD > BB Bold 9700 > BB Bold 9780 > HTC myTouch 4G > BB Bold 9780 > BB Bold 9900 > Samsung Galaxy S III > Samsung Galaxy Note II > HTC One M7 > Samsung Galaxy Note III

- HTC Evo View - Rooted. HC. > Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 [N8000]

barondebxl
Old
Thanks Meter 1210
Quote:
You're right, but people will still take their chances to save some money, like I did with Swappa. Sometimes you can't learn a lesson from someone else, you have to learn it for yourself. It was an expensive lesson, and one that I will remember. No more 'reputable resellers', only direct from the carrier. The extra $100 is worth the piece of mind in knowing that I won't have to deal with being scammed again.

---------- Post added 4th February 2014 at 12:00 AM ---------- Previous post was 3rd February 2014 at 11:57 PM ----------

I bought my Note 3 from Swappa and then the IMEI was blocked by T-Mobile (i.e. I can no longer use my T-Mobile branded phone on T-Mobile) for non-payment of EIP. I had to unlock the phone and now pay $20 more per month for half as much data on Straight Talk with an AT&T SIM card.
I see. Did you ask the seller before buying if the phone was paid off? If yes then it sucks. Off course things like that can happen but honestly the majority of transactions are very smooth. I'm on swappa and I bought many phones (you can check my name there for yourself) and I have yet to have any issues with any of the phones that I bought.

Current Device: Nexus 7 2013

Recently Owned

Iphone 5S

LG G Flex

Galaxy Note3

LG G2

jabbathewocket
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonzhao View Post

Update on my incident, contacted Negri and Ryan Negri over the weekend, no response today from either, as expected. Called the offices, was told to file an RMA, so no device for that line atm, called shortly after to follow up, nothing happened. Get a email at the exact moment they close so they don't have to do anything until the next day as I called immediately. The RMA is to have me send the device back. Not sending it unless they're paying for shipping and guaranteeing there's more because they're not stocked right now, leaves me without leverage.

If you want a good reputation, offer good service, and get from trustworthy suppliers, making a quick buck for all this extra hassle for your company and customers? No thanks. This was my second purchase from them, not going to be a 3rd.

I would suggest any xda mods who see this to remove any advertisements for Negri electronics as there have been many incidents like this; fraudulent devices being sold to people, many of them belonging to the community here.

i actually do not think that the EIP non payment blocks will be combined.. its a more an internal defense against people abusing no credit check EIP plans and their no contract service.. you can get any flagship device for half down.. more than a few shady individuals will try to get a phone at half price (dont think many who qualify for 0 down will screw up their credit just for a 300-400$ savings) and then throw in a no contract or prepaid tmobile sim (since you dont need to unlock to use them).. since the IMEI does not get blacklisted till you have not paid for like 60-90 days.. people think they are in the clear..

Sharing THIS database with ATT would not really help them ATT does not care if tmobile loses money.. and its up to tmobile to deliver them the list of blocks (and ATT does not share broken contract IMEI with Tmobile either for what its worth many people on tmobile with unlocked iphones are technically still owing ETF balances as well).. more likely we will see an IMEI check implemented on tmobile site for potential customers to run the IMEI to see if it has an outstanding EIP balance before buying.. which should shut down the shady buggers (they may also offer to trade the device or unlock it for a payment in stores at a later date)

gordonzhao
Old
Thanks Meter 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbathewocket View Post
i actually do not think that the EIP non payment blocks will be combined.. its a more an internal defense against people abusing no credit check EIP plans and their no contract service.. you can get any flagship device for half down.. more than a few shady individuals will try to get a phone at half price (dont think many who qualify for 0 down will screw up their credit just for a 300-400$ savings) and then throw in a no contract or prepaid tmobile sim (since you dont need to unlock to use them).. since the IMEI does not get blacklisted till you have not paid for like 60-90 days.. people think they are in the clear..

Sharing THIS database with ATT would not really help them ATT does not care if tmobile loses money.. and its up to tmobile to deliver them the list of blocks (and ATT does not share broken contract IMEI with Tmobile either for what its worth many people on tmobile with unlocked iphones are technically still owing ETF balances as well).. more likely we will see an IMEI check implemented on tmobile site for potential customers to run the IMEI to see if it has an outstanding EIP balance before buying.. which should shut down the shady buggers (they may also offer to trade the device or unlock it for a payment in stores at a later date)
Here is the incorrect part of your theory, to qualify for $0 down you have to have above average to excellent credit and if you have either, chances are they're not going to want to ruin their credit for $300-$400. Secondly, no credit check does not allow for you to do EIP, you have to buy devices out right. Why would either companies want to create a nationwide database and not include these fraudulent devices in it? Role reversal, AT&T started blocking out non payment etf iPhones, why would tmobile care? You're thinking one sided, in order for both companies to benefit and screw these people commuting fraud, I believe even 'those' databases will be combined.

- Gordon

- Innostream Inno 90 > SE S700i > Motorola SLVR > SE w850i > TMO Wing > HTC Touch HD > BB Bold 9700 > BB Bold 9780 > HTC myTouch 4G > BB Bold 9780 > BB Bold 9900 > Samsung Galaxy S III > Samsung Galaxy Note II > HTC One M7 > Samsung Galaxy Note III

jabbathewocket
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Here is the incorrect part of your theory, to qualify for $0 down you have to have above average to excellent credit and if you have either, chances are they're not going to want to ruin their credit for $300-$400. Secondly, no credit check does not allow for you to do EIP, you have to buy devices out right. Why would either companies want to create a nationwide database and not include these fraudulent devices in it? Role reversal, AT&T started blocking out non payment etf iPhones, why would tmobile care? You're thinking one sided, in order for both companies to benefit and screw these people commuting fraud, I believe even 'those' databases will be combined.

I said that :P but yah no credit check was the wrong term.. What I should have said was "the credit check anyone who does not already owe tmobile a fortune will get if they have less than perfect credit" which is a fixed price.. and most of those people will qualify for a 5 line family plan with 5 EIP devices if they are willing to put the money down.

The reason that TMO and ATT do not share these numbers is likely because they are competitors.. the stolen phone database is helping THEIR own current customers who have had their devices stolen.. unpaid EIP or in ATT case the cancellation of contract via nonpayment of ETF are 2 very different ballgames.. depending on the scale.. I would think that the casual failure to pay or using a random bad credit person to get an iphone or galaxy note for 1/2 price and then use the device on their own network is what they are trying to solve.. as it can be rampant very easily for next to no cost to the people doing the fraud..

We already know that organized scams send devices overseas, as with most stolen devices on all carriers.. IE stolen device does no good locally for the most part, and the database is also largely pointless if its not worldwide.

Techngro
Old
Thanks Meter 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by barondebxl View Post
I see. Did you ask the seller before buying if the phone was paid off? If yes then it sucks. Off course things like that can happen but honestly the majority of transactions are very smooth. I'm on swappa and I bought many phones (you can check my name there for yourself) and I have yet to have any issues with any of the phones that I bought.

Yes, I asked the seller if the device was fully paid. He said yes.

I'm glad that you have had no problems with Swappa. This was only my second transaction and I got burned. Like I said, people have to learn for themselves and take their own chances. I do think, however, that people have a false perception of places like Swappa. I've seen on this forum many times where people will say "Use Swappa, you're protected because they check IMEIs" or "Swappa uses Paypal, so you're safe". It's not the case. In actuality, Swappa is no safer than buying from Craigslist. Swappa and Paypal were still absolutely of no help. They both got their cut of the transaction, and the ONLY person who is harmed here was me.

So no more rolling the dice for me. Direct from T-Mobile from now on.

Quote:

I saw an ad for Negri on another site (BGR) that was disguised as a 'tech article' titled "One of the web’s best stores for unlocked phones is getting even better" (http://bgr.com/2013/12/31/negri-elec...ed-smartphones). The comments section immediately turned on Negri citing their poor customer service and shady dealings. The next day, all of those comments were wiped.

I think that Negri cultivates relationships with folks who can promote their business (like BGR and XDA), and those folks don't realize (or care) about what Negri does.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-900T
Bought on Swappa, Blocked by T-Mobile
Given life again via Chainfire's RegionLock Away
ROM: Stock - Rooted and Xposed
Recovery: TWRP 2.x

Kindle Fire
ROM: Back to Stock
Recovery: TWRP 2.2.x

2006: Samsung A900
2007: Original iPhone
2010: Nokia N900
2010: Moto Cliq
2011: HTC G2
2012: Galaxy S II
2012: Galaxy Note
2013: Galaxy Note 3

gordonzhao
Old
Thanks Meter 90
Quote:
Yes, I asked the seller if the device was fully paid. He said yes.

I'm glad that you have had no problems with Swappa. This was only my second transaction and I got burned. Like I said, people have to learn for themselves and take their own chances. I do think, however, that people have a false perception of places like Swappa. I've seen on this forum many times where people will say "Use Swappa, you're protected because they check IMEIs" or "Swappa uses Paypal, so you're safe". It's not the case. In actuality, Swappa is no safer than buying from Craigslist. Swappa and Paypal were still absolutely of no help. They both got their cut of the transaction, and the ONLY person who is harmed here was me.

So no more rolling the dice for me. Direct from T-Mobile from now on.

I saw an ad for Negri on another site (BGR) that was disguised as a 'tech article' titled "One of the web’s best stores for unlocked phones is getting even better" (http://bgr.com/2013/12/31/negri-elec...ed-smartphones). The comments section immediately turned on Negri citing their poor customer service and shady dealings. The next day, all of those comments were wiped.

I think that Negri cultivates relationships with folks who can promote their business (like BGR and XDA), and those folks don't realize (or care) about what Negri does.
$$$

Didn't catch that article as I avoid bgr, can't stand bgr, bunch of iPhone fan boys oblivious to everything around them. They post a lot of articles without confirmation of sources.

- Gordon