FORUMS

[Q] help with carrier unlocking Note 2

Thanks Meter: 0

By keenakid, Junior Member on 4th February 2014, 02:58 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
hey guys, this is my first post on xda. Ive owned almost every galaxy phone in the series since the S2 and every time i have any questions, i refer to your site to search for an answer. i have found my solution every single time until now. i have tried searching left and right and feel like i have been so close to solving my problem then i find a new problem. heres my situation.

i have a note 2 from US cellular in the US which is CDMA. im traveling to Paris (currently in paris now) and i bought a new Note 2 that runs on GSM. now my problem is that the phone is carrier locked to a korean phone company. I posted this in the ATT section because i could not find a section for my phone model and many of my close solutions referred to using ATT firmwares so i felt this was the closest section.

my phone info:

Galaxy note 2
model: SHV-E250S
Android version: 4.1.2
Device status: normal (unrooted) (i have my US cellular note 2 rooted through one button method and can probably do that to this phone as well if needed, so if you have a solution that contains root access please know i can still go that route!)

so to carrier unlock this phone i read about this easy method:
Step 1: On your Galaxy Note II, launch the phone app and press these keys:
*#197328640#

Step 2: From the Main Menu, navigate to [1] UMTS > [1]Debug Screen > [8] Phone Control > [6] Network Lock > Options.

Step 3: In the Options screen, choose [3] Perso SHA256 OFF. Wait for 30 seconds after making this selection.

Step 4: Go back one step by pressing the menu key, and then back once. You should now again be in [6] Network Lock

Step 5: Here, now choose [4]NW Lock NV Data INITIALLIZ. Wait for one minute after making the choice.

Step 6: After a minute has passed, reboot your Galaxy Note II.

but my problem is that when i enter that first code i get this message: "connection problem or invalid MMI code."

so i searched how to resolve that. i found some threads saying that i need to downgrade my firmware to 4.1.1 because 4.1.2 blocks this on some phones. so i looked into downgrading my firmware. Went to samsung-updates and entered my device model and they only had 4.1.2 firmwares. i didnt try an ATT firmware because im not confident it will work so if i can get assurance that it will ill try that route.

from there i also googled my model and firmware 4.1.1 and found nothing.

somewhere in all this i also was told to change my csc as well. I tried doing that with the code provided online and received the same error message. i would like to change the csc so it runs on UK csc as well.

sorry if anything is confusing, im not a huge tech guy when it comes to phones, but i try. I dont know how to flash roms or anything, only reason i ever rooted a phone was to use free tethering.

in conclusion, i just simply want to carrier unlock this korean note 2.

any help is appreciated as i would like to get a phone plan here in france asap but i want to make sure this phone is going to work. I dont even know how to check if its carrier unlocked after i do succeed in this. i have access to a tmobile sim card if needed to check.

thanks in advance and thanks to everyone who has helped others on this site. i have used your expertise many times in the last few years and now finally i can say thanks for the great information!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread