[Q] Kit kat update only with wifi, any work around?

OP Clive Anderson

4th February 2014, 01:28 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

3 posts
Hi I have a moto g, I tried to update kit kat update but it says it requires wifi only. I tried to disable wifi, even tried to disable wifi updates in google play>settings and setting it to download auto, but nothing works.

Is there any Pc software for my moto g or another way round? I was hoping I could force the phone to use my data allowance since got plenty data available just not wifi.

I do not have wifi at the moment only wired connection.

Any help is appreciated thank you
4th February 2014, 03:38 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 365

402 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Anderson

Hi I have a moto g, I tried to update kit kat update but it says it requires wifi only. I tried to disable wifi, even tried to disable wifi updates in google play>settings and setting it to download auto, but nothing works.

Is there any Pc software for my moto g or another way round? I was hoping I could force the phone to use my data allowance since got plenty data available just not wifi.

I do not have wifi at the moment only wired connection.

Any help is appreciated thank you

Here (proceed with caution- there are some reports of sim blocked popups after updating with this method): http://androidromupdate.com/2014/01/...rmware-europe/

Anyway, if you have a pc with wifi capabilities + win 7 / Ubuntu (never tried in osx), you can use it as ad-hoc wifi transmitter

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amirTor For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th February 2014, 03:47 PM   |  #3  
Account currently disabled
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 108

485 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirTor

Here (proceed with caution- there are some reports of sim blocked popups after updating with this method): http://androidromupdate.com/2014/01/...rmware-europe/

Anyway, if you have a pc with wifi capabilities + win 7 / Ubuntu (never tried in osx), you can use it as ad-hoc wifi transmitter

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Or he could use Reverse tether
It works after a couple of minutes of waiting.
You just need the right config.
I think it dupes as wifi automatically.

Ad-hoc depends on the wireless chipset inside.
He could use Connectifiy
The Following User Says Thank You to Lgrootnoob For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th February 2014, 05:03 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
thanks both for the work arounds I like the idea of that reverse tether app sounds like the easiest and why not have full internet via usb cable
4th February 2014, 05:40 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
Tried the reverse tethering but it was bit more complicated, it suggested a usb/network moto g driver should be installed bit strange since I already installed the moto g software/drivers.

So gave up when no network device appeared...

Feels strange to have a moto g but no real pc software, but guess everything is via google play account and synced anyhow.

Anyhow installed connectify and used a cheap usb wireless dongle and wifi sorted, the phone was already downloading kit kat before I had to tell it too so just goes to show you android loves wifi and data plans are an extra bit on the side.
The Following User Says Thank You to Clive Anderson For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread