Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,261 Members 37,936 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Samsung - Find My Mobile

Tip us?

dimm0k
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 52
Default Samsung - Find My Mobile

anyone know why the Find My Mobile feature from Samsung is so limited in the devices it supports? Apparently for Sprint users we're out of luck with this feature or am I missing something? anyone have any alternatives?

neswii
Old
(Last edited by neswii; 28th January 2014 at 05:52 PM.) Reason: Adding link
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimm0k View Post
anyone know why the Find My Mobile feature from Samsung is so limited in the devices it supports? Apparently for Sprint users we're out of luck with this feature or am I missing something? anyone have any alternatives?
Google device manager thingie? Works with any android device.

https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager
The Following User Says Thank You to neswii For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dimm0k
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by neswii View Post
Google device manager thingie? Works with any android device.

https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager
Whoa, this is exactly what I wanted! Thank you sir!

neswii
Old
Thanks Meter 36
You're welcome haha.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

jejb
Old
Thanks Meter 83
Does anyone know of a program or app that works on phones that have the Location Services turned off? Probably not, I'd guess, but figured I'd ask. I leave Location Services turned off whenever I'm not using something that needs it, which is most of the time.
Samsung S5 (900V), Samsung Note 3, Samsung S4 (9505), Samsung S3, HTC Evo 4G LTE, HTC Evo 4G, HTC TouchPro 2, HTC 6700

cruise350
Old
Thanks Meter 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by jejb View Post
Does anyone know of a program or app that works on phones that have the Location Services turned off? Probably not, I'd guess, but figured I'd ask. I leave Location Services turned off whenever I'm not using something that needs it, which is most of the time.
I don't think its possible. Without location services turned on how would an app find your phone. Just curious, why don't you have location services turned on? It isn't a big hit on battery so it doesn't make since. Unless you are one of those big brother is watching nuts.
Phones & Tablets: Galaxy S4, Galaxy Note 8", Evo 4g LTE, Evo 3D, Acer Iconia A500, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Ipad 2, Nabi 2,

Rom: Rooted Stock Odexed, Hotspot Mod, Xposed, Wanum, several other xposed tweaks
Firmware: NAE
Kernel: Stock
TWRP: 2.7.1.0

jejb
Old
Thanks Meter 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise350 View Post
I don't think its possible. Without location services turned on how would an app find your phone. Just curious, why don't you have location services turned on? It isn't a big hit on battery so it doesn't make since. Unless you are one of those big brother is watching nuts.
Nuts? I don't think there's any reason to get personal here. And you don't have to be a "nut" to see all the privacy issues in the news almost daily. And with companies like Google, Face Book, etc that are avowed data thieves, er, collectors, I think it's wise to do what I can to try and keep my data more private.

I am a senior programmer for a large international company. We got into data mining way on the front end of the craze. But we never stooped to collecting the levels of personal identity level information most folks just accept these days. So I know how it works, and choose to limit what they can collect from me.
Samsung S5 (900V), Samsung Note 3, Samsung S4 (9505), Samsung S3, HTC Evo 4G LTE, HTC Evo 4G, HTC TouchPro 2, HTC 6700

xfullmetal17
Old
(Last edited by xfullmetal17; 4th February 2014 at 05:45 PM.)
Thanks Meter 45

DONATE TO ME
I'm sure you've heard of App Ops? (Assuming you're either on 4.3 or a custom 4.4 ROM that has it). OEM's like to hide it away, but it is still there and still very much usable. You can set which permissions an app can use (to a certain extent) and if it tries to access something you've turned the permission off for, the device returns an empty set (essentially "null") for that data.

Here's the link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....appopsstarter
This app just calls the location where App Ops is in Android. Note that this app will *NOT* work in 4.4, since Google changed the way it's accessed.

edit: I've used this to disable a lot of what Facebook can access, among other apps.
Look! A distraction!

jejb
Old
Thanks Meter 83
Thanks! Looks like a great app. Runs great on my 4.3 S4.