Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Make Your Own Heat Sink for the LG Optimus 4X HD

Its not a rare occurrence that performing a resource heavy task on your Android device (e.g. … more

Learn How to Create an Old School Dialer

XDA is not only a great source for custom ROMs, kernels, and various modifications for numerous … more

USB Desktop Charger Roundup – XDA TV

Sometimes you learn one way to do something, and that’s the way you do it forever. You never … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Samsung - Find My Mobile

OP dimm0k

28th January 2014, 04:32 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 92
 
496 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2014
anyone know why the Find My Mobile feature from Samsung is so limited in the devices it supports? Apparently for Sprint users we're out of luck with this feature or am I missing something? anyone have any alternatives?
28th January 2014, 06:51 PM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 38
 
219 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimm0k

anyone know why the Find My Mobile feature from Samsung is so limited in the devices it supports? Apparently for Sprint users we're out of luck with this feature or am I missing something? anyone have any alternatives?

Google device manager thingie? Works with any android device.

https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager
Last edited by neswii; 28th January 2014 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Adding link
The Following User Says Thank You to neswii For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th January 2014, 07:46 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 92
 
496 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by neswii

Google device manager thingie? Works with any android device.

https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager

Whoa, this is exactly what I wanted! Thank you sir!
28th January 2014, 08:17 PM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 38
 
219 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2010
More
You're welcome haha.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
29th January 2014, 02:42 PM   |  #5  
Senior Member
Flag Rogers, AR
Thanks Meter: 84
 
321 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2008
More
Does anyone know of a program or app that works on phones that have the Location Services turned off? Probably not, I'd guess, but figured I'd ask. I leave Location Services turned off whenever I'm not using something that needs it, which is most of the time.
29th January 2014, 05:13 PM   |  #6  
cruise350's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Memphis, TN
Thanks Meter: 603
 
1,892 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2007
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jejb

Does anyone know of a program or app that works on phones that have the Location Services turned off? Probably not, I'd guess, but figured I'd ask. I leave Location Services turned off whenever I'm not using something that needs it, which is most of the time.

I don't think its possible. Without location services turned on how would an app find your phone. Just curious, why don't you have location services turned on? It isn't a big hit on battery so it doesn't make since. Unless you are one of those big brother is watching nuts.
30th January 2014, 04:18 PM   |  #7  
Senior Member
Flag Rogers, AR
Thanks Meter: 84
 
321 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise350

I don't think its possible. Without location services turned on how would an app find your phone. Just curious, why don't you have location services turned on? It isn't a big hit on battery so it doesn't make since. Unless you are one of those big brother is watching nuts.

Nuts? I don't think there's any reason to get personal here. And you don't have to be a "nut" to see all the privacy issues in the news almost daily. And with companies like Google, Face Book, etc that are avowed data thieves, er, collectors, I think it's wise to do what I can to try and keep my data more private.

I am a senior programmer for a large international company. We got into data mining way on the front end of the craze. But we never stooped to collecting the levels of personal identity level information most folks just accept these days. So I know how it works, and choose to limit what they can collect from me.
4th February 2014, 06:42 PM   |  #8  
xfullmetal17's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 45
 
600 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Donate to Me
More
I'm sure you've heard of App Ops? (Assuming you're either on 4.3 or a custom 4.4 ROM that has it). OEM's like to hide it away, but it is still there and still very much usable. You can set which permissions an app can use (to a certain extent) and if it tries to access something you've turned the permission off for, the device returns an empty set (essentially "null") for that data.

Here's the link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....appopsstarter
This app just calls the location where App Ops is in Android. Note that this app will *NOT* work in 4.4, since Google changed the way it's accessed.

edit: I've used this to disable a lot of what Facebook can access, among other apps.
Last edited by xfullmetal17; 4th February 2014 at 06:45 PM.
4th February 2014, 07:35 PM   |  #9  
Senior Member
Flag Rogers, AR
Thanks Meter: 84
 
321 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2008
More
Thanks! Looks like a great app. Runs great on my 4.3 S4.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes