Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,064 Members 41,717 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Better option?

Tip us?

DurbanPoison24
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default Better option?

Hey all, I was just wondering in anyone could shed some insight for me on what would be a better option on if when the KitKat OTA comes rolling out would it be smarter to unroot my phone and take update and wait for a root method for new update OR just simply wait for someone to bring over a rooted version of KitKat update? Sorry if this question is stupid but just would like to know because I actually enjoy stock ROM and can't wait for OTA. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my LG-D801 using xda app-developers app

edoardomarco
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurbanPoison24 View Post
Hey all, I was just wondering in anyone could shed some insight for me on what would be a better option on if when the KitKat OTA comes rolling out would it be smarter to unroot my phone and take update and wait for a root method for new update OR just simply wait for someone to bring over a rooted version of KitKat update? Sorry if this question is stupid but just would like to know because I actually enjoy stock ROM and can't wait for OTA. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my LG-D801 using xda app-developers app
I think that the better way to update a phone is installing the new image with kdz (it is the cleanest way and you don't have to worry about root ecc) and then to put root again... then there is the ota but in this case i suggest you to do the unroot and to put up both original recovery and kernel if they aren't .. in particoularly the custom kernel and custom recovery will not let you update for sure, instead the root would probably cause some issues after the update... i suggest the first method, even if you have to do some backup first

Inviato dal mio LG-D802

DurbanPoison24
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by edoardomarco View Post
I think that the better way to update a phone is installing the new image with kdz (it is the cleanest way and you don't have to worry about root ecc) and then to put root again... then there is the ota but in this case i suggest you to do the unroot and to put up both original recovery and kernel if they aren't .. in particoularly the custom kernel and custom recovery will not let you update for sure, instead the root would probably cause some issues after the update... i suggest the first method, even if you have to do some backup first

Inviato dal mio LG-D802
Ok if I were to unroot would the OTA come quickly or would I have to wait longer because I reverted back? Really don't want to unroot because I've never unrooted a phone before but w.e method allows me to get KitKat OTA update in a timely fashion I'm up for..

Sent from my LG-D801

edoardomarco
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurbanPoison24 View Post
Ok if I were to unroot would the OTA come quickly or would I have to wait longer because I reverted back? Really don't want to unroot because I've never unrooted a phone before but w.e method allows me to get KitKat OTA update in a timely fashion I'm up for..

Sent from my LG-D801
The time of the updates depends on lg serves.. it will be released in more Times, in different regions, so you can't do nothing to accelerate the process.. unroot and Wait of you follow the guides you will not have any problems

Inviato dal mio LG-D802