Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Does the note 10.1 (2014) use PWM at all level of brightness?

OP JulesLaforgue

4th February 2014, 07:47 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

1 posts
Hi, my english won't be very good because it's not my native langage.
I'm very sensitive to the flicker caused by PWM (Pulse Width modulation) wich is a technique used in the backlighting of a lot of LCD display to dim the brightness of the screen. I'm a "migraineur with aura" wich is a neurological disease, so like epileptic people my eyes and my brain are very sensitive to all sort of visual stress even the most subliminal one like PWM used at a high frequency. And I wanted to know if the note 10.1 (2014) use PWM to dim the screen at all level of brightness? I m' sure that it use it a least until 50 %, and that it is not PWMed at 100% brightness. Cause at 50% i'm sick litteraly within second, and at 100% i'm ok. But I have not tested all the level between 50 to 100 cause if it's flicker I can have quite a serious seazure, which would leave me ill for days, so it's quite hasardeous for my health. So what i'm doing is that i leave the system brightness to 100% wich of course is too bright, but I dim it with a soft (screen adjuster) that can dim the display without touching the backlight. But it's not a perfect solution cause the display is still using a lot of energy that way and there's a lot amount of blue wavelenght coming from it and i'm sensitive to blue wavelenght too. Basically as you can see, LED backligh is not a very good technology for epileptic people, eye-sensitive or migraineur. (I personally think it's not a healthy tec for anybody)

So, I just wanted to know if someone know if there's an "official" level where the note doesn't use PWM anymore to control the brightness of the screen, I mean below 100? Thanks in advance, and i'm sorry if my post can sound a bit confuse, it's not easy to try to ask and explain something in a langage that's note your native langage. Thanks in advance.
The Following User Says Thank You to JulesLaforgue For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread