GPS suddenly bad

OP xdaegholm

4th February 2014, 08:23 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 7

55 posts
More
Hi there,

Suddenly, out of nowhere, the GPS on my Desire X is experiencing poor signal. Even if outside I can barely see any satelites (according to "GPS Status"). Previously, I could lock on satelites even from within my house.
I've tried rebooting, but no luck.

Does any of you know if the GPS antenna can disconnect inside the device? I have indeed dropped the device (but that's more a rule than an exception)

BR,
Egholm
4th February 2014, 08:39 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Aachen
Thanks Meter: 940

2,435 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdaegholm

Hi there,

Suddenly, out of nowhere, the GPS on my Desire X is experiencing poor signal. Even if outside I can barely see any satelites (according to "GPS Status"). Previously, I could lock on satelites even from within my house.
I've tried rebooting, but no luck.

Does any of you know if the GPS antenna can disconnect inside the device? I have indeed dropped the device (but that's more a rule than an exception)

BR,
Egholm

Maybe possible. You can check by opening your device according to this video on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzRsLDahWVg
But, do you are still on stock ROM or did you install a custom ROM / kernel recently?
The Following User Says Thank You to dansou901 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th February 2014, 08:48 AM   |  #3  
OP Member

55 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansou901

Maybe possible. You can check by opening your device according to this video on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzRsLDahWVg
But, do you are still on stock ROM or did you install a custom ROM / kernel recently?

@dansou901, good idea. But it would be nice if anyone could tell on beforehand before cranking the device apart
(I'm on myONEdx 2.0, and as you can see, that's an old one)
Thanks
4th February 2014, 08:55 AM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Aachen
Thanks Meter: 940

2,435 posts
More
Then maybe try to update to recent version (RC 4.0) and do a factory reset before that, may help.
4th February 2014, 09:11 AM   |  #5  
OP Member

55 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansou901

Then maybe try to update to recent version (RC 4.0) and do a factory reset before that, may help.

Maybe - that will be my "last" attempt. I'll rather take it apart - I think that is time better invested based on the theory that an antenna may have disconnected... I may end up doing both :P
4th February 2014, 06:55 PM   |  #6  
OP Member

55 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdaegholm

Maybe - that will be my "last" attempt. I'll rather take it apart - I think that is time better invested based on the theory that an antenna may have disconnected... I may end up doing both :P

And so I did. And I believe that I found and solved the problem... Under the plate surrounding the camera are connectors that connect to what I believe are antennas in that very same plate (did that make sense?). One of them fell out when disassembling, so I soldered it on, assembled again, and at least gps is working again.
(I reckon a hard concentrated punch in the vicinity of the camera can break these connectors, either breaking wifi or gps, so be careful)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
gps, satelites, signal
Previous Thread Next Thread