Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,375 Members 45,100 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Widfier S: Can't obtain Identifier Token

Tip us?

ukyo_tachibana
Old
(Last edited by ukyo_tachibana; 5th February 2014 at 02:00 PM.)
Thanks Meter 7
Hi,

After unlocking the boot loader, this is what I would do:

Get the SD card and format it. Use the SD formatter 4.0 application (official tool from the SD consortium to format SD cards, google the name) and always switch on the format size adjustment option. Never format an SD card with Windows or Linux for using it in phones, cameras, Wii, etc. Always use this tool or the device itself for formatting. If you don't have a SD card reader, connect the phone with the SD card inside to the PC and select the Disk drive option for mounting the card.

Step 2 - Install recovery
2.1) As you said, get the CWM recovery from the official site. If you are from Birmingham, you need the GSM version (the one that is not CDMA, which is primarily for USA). Beware, if you install the wrong version, you will brick your device.
2.2) Install it. You have a few options: a) follow one of the methods explained in post [TUTORIAL][ROOT] Root Tutorial + CyanogenMod 10 for the Wildfire S (marvel) (sorry, I can not post links), b) you can use the tool I mentioned a few posts ago HTC Wildfire S All-In-One Toolkit (advantage: really easy and you will not need to deal with the command line, disadvantages: ads and you will not learn how to use command line ).
2.3) As your phone did a factory reset when the unlocking was performed, it will be advisable to completely clean it now before finishing. Do the four wipes:
HBoot->Recovery->wipe cache partition, wipe data
HBoot->Recovery->Advanced: wipe battery stats, wipe dalvik cache
2.4) Make a backup (usually called NANDroid) of your cleaned factory reset phone. HBoot->Recovery->Backup. The backup may take a while and it will use around 300MB.

Step 3 - Install SuperSU
3.2) Get the file SuperSU.zip from a XDA thread and copy the file to your SD card. Search for a thread called [Root App] Superuser v3.1.3 Final & SuperSU V0.93 latest Flashable Zip. July 13, 2012, but do not install both apps, it is one or the other. I have installed and used SuperSU, and it is working properly.
3.3) HBoot->Recovery->Install zip file from SD card (search for SuperSu.zip).
3.4) Your phone is now rooted. In your description you were trying to do twice the same with root.zip and SuperSU.zip, and that is wrong as far as I know.

Optional Step 4 - Backup
4.1) IMHO, I would backup at this point, where the process has finished, and move the previous backup (point 2.4) to the PC just in case I would need it.
4.2) Reboot, and enjoy being root .

Once you are here, come again and we can discuss about getting rid of the unwanted apps (there is more than one option).
I hope this helps you. Regards.
The Following User Says Thank You to ukyo_tachibana For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

GERJDOY
Old
(Last edited by GERJDOY; 3rd February 2014 at 02:21 PM.) Reason: Forgotten to include "Thanks"
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukyo_tachibana View Post
Hi,

After unlocking the boot loader, this is what I would do:

Step 2 - Install recovery
2.1) As you said, get the CWM recovery from the official site. If you are from Birmingham, you need the GSM version (the one that is not CDMA, which is primarily for USA). Beware, if you install the wrong version, you will brick your device.
2.2) Install it. You have a few options: a) follow one of the methods explained in post [TUTORIAL][ROOT] Root Tutorial + CyanogenMod 10 for the Wildfire S (marvel) (sorry, I can not post links), b) you can use the tool I mentioned a few posts ago HTC Wildfire S All-In-One Toolkit (advantage: really easy and you will not need to deal with the command line, disadvantages: ads and you will not learn how to use command line ).
2.3) As your phone did a factory reset when the unlocking was performed, it will be advisable to completely clean it now before finishing. Do the four wipes:
HBoot->Recovery->wipe cache partition, wipe data
HBoot->Recovery->Advanced: wipe battery stats, wipe dalvik cache
2.4) Make a backup (usually called NANDroid) of your cleaned factory reset phone. HBoot->Recovery->Backup. The backup may take a while and it will use around 300MB.

Step 3 - Install SuperSU
3.1) Get the SD card and format it. Use the SD formatter 4.0 application (official tool from the SD consortium to format SD cards, google the name) and always switch on the format size adjustment option. Never format an SD card with Windows or Linux for using it in phones, cameras, Wii, etc. Always use this tool or the device itself for formatting.
3.2) Get the file SuperSU.zip from a XDA thread and copy the file to your SD card. Search for a thread called [Root App] Superuser v3.1.3 Final & SuperSU V0.93 latest Flashable Zip. July 13, 2012, but do not install both apps, it is one or the other. I have installed and used SuperSU, and it is working properly.
3.3) HBoot->Recovery->Install zip file from SD card (search for SuperSu.zip).
3.4) Your phone is now rooted. In your description you were trying to do twice the same with root.zip and SuperSU.zip, and that is wrong as far as I know.

Optional Step 4 - Backup
4.1) IMHO, I would backup at this point, where the process has finished, and move the previous backup (point 2.4) to the PC just in case I would need it.
4.2) Reboot, and enjoy being root .

Once you are here, come again and we can discuss about getting rid of the unwanted apps (there is more than one option).
**Thanks ukyo_tachibana for everything.**

The file for CWM I downloaded won't work as it's IMG file. Browsing to find the best program to open it. Got 3 options IrFanView32, Paint Shop Pro & CoreIDRAW. Doing some research on each now.

Where Is the tool from HTC Wildfire S All-In-One Toolkit V2.1? I can't see a link to Hasoon2000's HTC Amaze 4G All-In-One Kit.
The only link I found was under the screenshot and that brought me to a download called WinRAR? It's the only download I can see on the thread?

Thanks.

ukyo_tachibana
Old
(Last edited by ukyo_tachibana; 7th February 2014 at 04:08 PM.) Reason: edit mention
Thanks Meter 7
Hi,
For installing the CWM recovery:
Option a) The thread I was talking about is located in XDA forum at HTC Wildfire S > Wildfire S General > [TUTORIAL][ROOT] Root Tutorial + CyanogenMod 10 for the Wildfire S (marvel), go to STEP 2, RECOVERY INSTALLATION and follow METHOD 1, VIA PC.
Option b) Sorry, it seems that XDA shutdown the user Hasoon2000 account and removed the files for making these All-in-one kits with ads, so I think it is better to do not post any link. Besides, I am also a new user and I am not allowed to post links.

But, don't worry:
1) Download the *.img file.
2) Copy this file to the folder where you have the files that @csoulr666 gave to you (adb.exe, fastboot.exe, etc.).
3) Open a command window in this folder.
4) Connect your phone via USB and switch to the Fastboot USB mode as you did for getting the token.
5) Execute at the command line: fastboot flash recovery recovery.img, where recovery.img must be replaced by the img file name of the CWM recovery file you just downloaded.
Do not try to open the img file, it is a binary file for the fastboot executable and your smartphone. 'Nobody' else will understand.

GERJDOY
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I have been following the brilliant advice on the threads: [TUTORIAL][ROOT] Root Tutorial + CyanogenMod 10 for the Wildfire S (marvel) {thanks iH8ra!n} combined with [Q] Widfire S: Can't obtain Identifier Token {thanks ukyo_tachibana}.

Thank you both for easy-to-follow, concise directions.

I've completed the back-up stage.

(iH8ra!n)- 3.1 Boot into Recovery (Bootloader,Recovery), select "backup and restore", enter with power button and select "backup",you're now doing a "Nandroid Backup"!
(ukyo_tachibana)- 2.4 Make a backup (usually called NANDroid) of your cleaned factory reset phone. HBoot->Recovery->Backup. The backup may take a while and it will use around 300MB.

The advice now is
(iH8ra!n)- 3.2 After it finished, take out your Phone's SD Card, and plug it in to your computer with an micro SD Adapter.
If you do not have such an Adapter, select "reboot system now" in Recovery's Main Menu, and connect your phone via USB cable. On phone's SDCard, go to clockworkmod > backup, and pull it into your created folder!

The problem is this:
As I don't have a micro SD Adapter I have to use the other method to get to the file.
So, I selected Reboot now (from Recovery I think, as opposed to power off and then on). The handset rebooted- I had to complete the initial set-up steps e.g. select carrier, auto sync or manual, internet connection carrier or WiFi, associate with an email account etc. you know the ones.

Anyway, once it was on, I went to:
HTC main menu>All apps>Settings>Applications to get the back-up file.

It's not there: there is no file listed on the card nor the application clockworkmod- as indicated by iH8ra!n's 3.2 above. Is my understanding of the process correct?

My full procedure was:
HTC main menu>All apps>Settings>Applications>..I clicked Manage applications (and then checked via Running devices & Storage use)- on ALL the "On SD card" tab says "No applications". HOWEVER: all register the SD card tab as:
263 MB used 1.6GB free (stats at the bottom of the tab screen)

I should say that after I installed CWM, but before I did my Back-Up, I did the wipes recommended in ukyo_tachibana's step 2.3 of a couple of posts above. Following this, once again I did not power off & then hold volume and on- instead I clicked the back option in Recovery to the main Recovery Menu and proceeded to create the Back-Up. Would this of interfered with the subsequent placing and naming of any files created??

Is the back-up file actually present on my phone, judging from the SD cards stats, and should be accessed via another way?

Or, perhaps the process just didn't complete properly & I need to do a complete wipe i.e. Factory Reset & wipe SD also, then repeat the CWM & Back-Up process?

Thanks

GERJDOY
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I've run into a little issue:

I've Soft brickked the phone- totally my own fault, formatting things to start again SD card/ and whatnot. IDIOT!!
On normal power-up it's stuck on splash screen (white backgound with green 'HTC') {info thanks to: [Tutorial] Unbrick your softbricked HTC Wildfire S by vbhtt}

I can still HBOOT.
CWM is still working Recovery.

Using the excellent threads on here (once again THANK YOU XDA Members), [TUTORIAL] Debranding & Installing Official HTC ROM by XaKing/ lynuxlover via NEED Wildfire S A510e Stock rom by bqeli:
I've managed to get the shipped rom that closest matches mine via shipped-roms.com.

Just looking to find a thread that can tell me how to flash the phone via PC through Recovery without SD card. None of the other phones in the house- iPhones- support micro SD, otherwise I could transfer to SD via aforementioned phone/ insert to HTC & proceed from there (I think this is the Gold Card method?). So I have to find a way to flash via PC only.

Tried following the thread: [Guide] Re-flash stock ROM (RUU) after bricking a rooted device by member CafeKampuchia
When I try to run the Marvel InstallScript setup Launcher it can not verify information on the phone as I get error [170]: USB CONNECTION ERROR. Obviously as the PC cannot see the phone whilst in HBOOT/Recovery

May have to start a new Question thread, as I'm stumped after four and a half hours solid research. Thanks.

ukyo_tachibana
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Hi,
Sorry, there are two small mistakes in my post regarding the SD card. I will update the post to fix them and avoid future problems to other readers. First, I assumed that you have a SD adapter to format the SD card. Second, it is not possible to proceed with step 2.4 if you haven't formatted the SD card and it is inserted inside the phone .

Regarding your questions:
1) Clockworkmod is installed as a replacement of the HBoot default recovery tool. Therefore, AFAIK it is not available when a normal boot is done. What you should see is the SuperSu app once installed.
2) If you don't have a SD card reader, plug the phone with the SD card inside and select the Disk drive option. Then it is possible to format the card with the SD formatter 4.0 application.
3) The wipes have no relation with the SD card, because the wipes erase data from the phone internal store. Every time that you install a custom rom, these wipes are a must. In this case, they will prevent that information stored from the previous state of the phone get mixed with the new state, and they also may reduce the backup size.
4) If you want to see your backup and make a copy in your PC (highly recommended): a) plug the phone with the SD card in Drive disk mode, b) go to the new drive (let's say H: ), and under H:\clockworkmod\backup, you will find one folder for each backup. Clockworkmod has the nice feature of naming backups/folders using timestamps. Note that every backup folder has several files, so the backup is the whole folder with everything inside (not a single file), for example, H:\clockworkmod\backup\2013-05-11.09.58.50. These backups can be browsed from the phone with a file manager such as ES File Manager, but I don't know a formal way of validating them.
5) Once you have the backup of the unlocked phone, check that it is okay mounting the drive, going to your backup folder and opening a command window. Type dir+RETURN and compare with my backup in a equivalent situation:
Code:
H:\clockworkmod\backup\1980-01-06.00.00.32>dir
 Volume in drive H is WFSDATA
 Volume Serial Number is 316C-F9B0

Directory of H:\clockworkmod\backup\1980-01-06.00.00.32

06/01/1980  00:00    <DIR>          .
06/01/1980  00:00    <DIR>          ..
06/01/1980  00:00         3.407.872 boot.img
06/01/1980  00:00         5.242.880 recovery.img
06/01/1980  00:02       238.573.632 system.yaffs2.img
06/01/1980  00:03        16.851.648 data.yaffs2.img
06/01/1980  00:03             1.536 .android_secure.vfat.tar
06/01/1980  00:03           794.112 cache.yaffs2.img
06/01/1980  00:04       129.513.472 sd-ext.ext4.tar
06/01/1980  00:04               352 nandroid.md5
               8 File(s)    394.385.504 bytes
               2 Dir(s)   1.066.303.488 bytes free

H:\clockworkmod\backup\1980-01-06.00.00.32>
The strange timestamp with year 1980 is because the phone was not configured and system date was wrong/default.
6) Proceed with SuperSU installation and second backup.
7) Copy the whole SD card content to your PC, just in case that something bad happens.
8) Let us know if everything is fine.
9) We will discuss how to get rid of the unwanted apps.

---------- Post added at 09:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERJDOY View Post
I've run into a little issue:

I've Soft brickked the phone- totally my own fault, formatting things to start again SD card/ and whatnot. IDIOT!!
On normal power-up it's stuck on splash screen (white backgound with green 'HTC') {info thanks to: [Tutorial] Unbrick your softbricked HTC Wildfire S by vbhtt}

I can still HBOOT.
CWM is still working Recovery.

Using the excellent threads on here (once again THANK YOU XDA Members), [TUTORIAL] Debranding & Installing Official HTC ROM by XaKing/ lynuxlover via NEED Wildfire S A510e Stock rom by bqeli:
I've managed to get the shipped rom that closest matches mine via shipped-roms.com.

Just looking to find a thread that can tell me how to flash the phone via PC through Recovery without SD card. None of the other phones in the house- iPhones- support micro SD, otherwise I could transfer to SD via aforementioned phone/ insert to HTC & proceed from there (I think this is the Gold Card method?). So I have to find a way to flash via PC only.

Tried following the thread: [Guide] Re-flash stock ROM (RUU) after bricking a rooted device by member CafeKampuchia
When I try to run the Marvel InstallScript setup Launcher it can not verify information on the phone as I get error [170]: USB CONNECTION ERROR. Obviously as the PC cannot see the phone whilst in HBOOT/Recovery

May have to start a new Question thread, as I'm stumped after four and a half hours solid research. Thanks.
Sorry, I was writing while you posted this. Yes, I think it is a good idea to move this new problem to a new thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to ukyo_tachibana For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]