5,600,483 Members 32,833 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Camera: Software or hardware error?

Tip us?

bloodymeli
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Camera: Software or hardware error?

Hi,

Recently, the camera on my Atrix 4G stopped working. When I open the camera app it hangs for a little while and then I get "Can not connect to camera" error message.
I've tried to wipe cache, wipe davlik cache and did a factory reset (I'm using MROM :http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1836674)
but it didn't help. Also tried using a 3rd party app for the camera (camera360) but this didn't work as well.

What should I do? Is there a way that I can check if this is a software or a hardware error?

prince_of_darkness666
Old
Thanks Meter 13

DONATE TO ME
try doing a backup then full wipe and flash back a fresh ROM and then see if it works. If it does then it was a software problem on the old ROM maybe due to uninstalling some important system app or something around that line. If the camera still doesn't work on the new ROM after a full wipe then i would start to think maybe its more or a hardware problem but wouldn't be 100% sure without more testing.. good luck

Basmatek
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_of_darkness666 View Post
try doing a backup then full wipe and flash back a fresh ROM and then see if it works. If it does then it was a software problem on the old ROM maybe due to uninstalling some important system app or something around that line. If the camera still doesn't work on the new ROM after a full wipe then i would start to think maybe its more or a hardware problem but wouldn't be 100% sure without more testing.. good luck
I had the same problem after i dropped my phone. I got a broken phone from ebay to see if i can swap the camera boards.

prince_of_darkness666
Old
Thanks Meter 13

DONATE TO ME
well in that case good luck.. hope you are able to get it working
Motorola Atrix 4G running CM 10.1 and loving it

NOOBHEADFORLIFE
Old
(Last edited by NOOBHEADFORLIFE; 11th January 2014 at 02:24 AM.)
Thanks Meter 4
yh right about now im having a similar problem with my atrix4g ! every custom i install on the from cm7 to cm10.1 and yet still the camera don't work ! i keep getting a error message saying " unfortunately camera has stop working " ! but for some reason when i installed cm10.1 , im no longer getting the error message . the app opens , i can go threw all the camera setting but the camera just refuse to open ! P.S . i wipe , data/factory , cache partition and dalvik cache . but yet still no luck how do i do a full wipe ? ? ? ? maybe that might work ! THANKS IN ADVANCE

andresrivas
Old
Thanks Meter 309
Simply put, your camera is broken

Hit the damn thanks button instead!
Enviado desde mi MB860
Motorola Personal 501 -> Motorola StarTac -> Motorola v360 (1gb sd, iTunes, native, non-java apps) -> Motorola Rokr E2 (SDHC 8Gb, native apps, O.C., My own custom Rom, AWESOME PHONE) -> Motorola C115 (Custom Ringtones xD ) -> Motorola Milestone (A.K.A Droid) (Froyo, rooted, stolen :'( ) -> Motorola Atrix 4G (Blur ICS)

Yup. I've been a Motofan all my life so far...

Basmatek
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I got a non working phone (no power) from Ebay .They go for $15-20. I just replaced the motherboard on the broken phone with mine and camera is working again. Replacing the camera board on my phone was not as easy as replacing the MB. My front camera never had a problem.

overboard1978
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Many of the custom roms after cm 7 stable have camera issues. kernal issue if you want a stable camera i would recommend using cm7 stable. the kernal project is close to getting a fully working camera with flash but i would call it stable yet. many roms ae using there kernal and i found i would have to restart phone very often for camera error. switching back to cm 7 stable fixed the problem for me.
LG Optimus G Pro (cm11 latest nightly)
Atrix 4G (epinter cm10.1)

laconic5
Old
(Last edited by laconic5; 14th January 2014 at 04:38 PM.)
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodymeli View Post
Hi,

Recently, the camera on my Atrix 4G stopped working. When I open the camera app it hangs for a little while and then I get "Can not connect to camera" error message.
I've tried to wipe cache, wipe davlik cache and did a factory reset (I'm using MROM :http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1836674)
but it didn't help. Also tried using a 3rd party app for the camera (camera360) but this didn't work as well.

What should I do? Is there a way that I can check if this is a software or a hardware error?
Does the proximity sensor and light sensor work? And does the speaker go mute when you plug in headphones? If not, then it's a hardware problem. according to ifixit :

"One cable to rule them all: the rear camera, proximity sensor, ambient light sensor, pressure contacts for the headphone jack, and side volume buttons all come out as one piece."

So you'll probably need to replace one of these :

http://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net...Y14VfSyPBWPhel

I think I damaged mine when trying to fix the volume down button. I already flashed the stock sbf file using RSD Lite but it still didn't work. So I might just buy this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rear-Camer...item461135f1a1

and try and fix it.

laconic5
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Success!!!

I took the plunge and bought this :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replacemen...:eek:C:GB:3160

It took just under 3 weeks to arrive in the UK.

I followed the guide on ifixit :

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Motor...+Teardown/4964

Now the camera is working great.

This is the first phone (hardware) I have ever fixed. Removing the old flex cable from the board was difficult because I didn't know you could just slowly pull it out. I kept trying to unhinge the plastic holding the cable and broke a small piece of it off. Attaching the new flex cable was also pretty hard.