Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Can anyone here explain WHY foxfi needs a VPN certificate?

OP striker1211

1st February 2014, 07:01 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0

37 posts
Hello everybody. I recently installed FoxFI for a relatives phone so they could tether over wireless. I am rooted so I do not use FoxFI but I had a question about it's setup. I have searched and searched and for the life of me I cannot find one post that fully explains why I had to install a VPN certificate and add a PIN/lock to my relatives phone. Part of me wonders if this VPN they use isn't used for some nefarious purpose? Does anyone have a reliable source stating HOW foxfi uses this VPN to allow tether? I thought that the FoxFi site would explain it but they seem to have been swallowed up by PDAnet and their knowledgebase is less than perfect. Thanks in advance.
2nd February 2014, 11:20 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 328

1,283 posts
More
Android 4.3 I bielive has tighter security and foxfi cannot create a new virtual network host so it must create a fake vpn connection to run the traffic through the app where as below android 4.3 it can just make a virtual network

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
4th February 2014, 10:30 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0

37 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdapimp

Android 4.3 I bielive has tighter security and foxfi cannot create a new virtual network host so it must create a fake vpn connection to run the traffic through the app where as below android 4.3 it can just make a virtual network

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Well that would make sense but my family member was running 4.2.1 and still needed the certificate?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread