5,599,337 Members 38,027 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Can anyone here explain WHY foxfi needs a VPN certificate?

Tip us?

striker1211
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Can anyone here explain WHY foxfi needs a VPN certificate?

Hello everybody. I recently installed FoxFI for a relatives phone so they could tether over wireless. I am rooted so I do not use FoxFI but I had a question about it's setup. I have searched and searched and for the life of me I cannot find one post that fully explains why I had to install a VPN certificate and add a PIN/lock to my relatives phone. Part of me wonders if this VPN they use isn't used for some nefarious purpose? Does anyone have a reliable source stating HOW foxfi uses this VPN to allow tether? I thought that the FoxFi site would explain it but they seem to have been swallowed up by PDAnet and their knowledgebase is less than perfect. Thanks in advance.

markdapimp
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 297
Android 4.3 I bielive has tighter security and foxfi cannot create a new virtual network host so it must create a fake vpn connection to run the traffic through the app where as below android 4.3 it can just make a virtual network

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

striker1211
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdapimp View Post
Android 4.3 I bielive has tighter security and foxfi cannot create a new virtual network host so it must create a fake vpn connection to run the traffic through the app where as below android 4.3 it can just make a virtual network

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Well that would make sense but my family member was running 4.2.1 and still needed the certificate?