Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,262 Members 49,850 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] PhilsTouchWiz??

Tip us?

MaxToTheG
Old
(Last edited by MaxToTheG; 3rd February 2014 at 09:11 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] PhilsTouchWiz??

Greetings - long time lurker first time poster. Recently purchased T-Mobile Galaxy S4. Coming from an S3 which I rooted - no problems

...tried to root with PhilsTouchWiz.CWM

Loaded the Zip to external Sd, went into recovery mode, opened and ran.

Then went to Odin part of show with Tar file. PDA with propper tar file, but forgot to tick PDA check box. Phone booted up normally...

Tried 2nd time, checked all boxes but can't get into recovery mode. Tried a few more times with reboot "unticked." No luck. Phone just seems to boot up into normal mode. Any time I run odin it runs with success. Takes about 3 seconds w/ pass, but won't show me recovery mode

Any thoughts or suggestions - or does anybody know of any other ways to get into recovery - so I can have access to other opitions?
Otherwise everything fairly normal. Advice greatly appreciated

lordcheeto03
Old
Thanks Meter 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxToTheG View Post
Greetings - long time lurker first time poster. Recently purchased T-Mobile Galaxy S4. Coming from an S3 which I rooted - no problems

...tried to root with PhilsTouchWiz.CWM

Loaded the Zip to external Sd, went into recovery mode, opened and ran.

Then went to Odin part of show with Tar file. PDA with propper tar file, but forgot to tick PDA check box. Phone booted up normally...

Tried 2nd time, checked all boxes but can't get into recovery mode. Tried a few more times with reboot "unticked." No luck. Phone just seems to boot up into normal mode. Any time I run odin it runs with success. Takes about 3 seconds w/ pass, but won't show me recovery mode

Any thoughts or suggestions - or does anybody know of any other ways to get into recovery - so I can have access to other opitions?
Otherwise everything fairly normal. Advice greatly appreciated
Hold power + volume up while booting to get into recovery.
Don't be afraid of the "Thanks" button

MaxToTheG
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordcheeto03 View Post
Hold power + volume up while booting to get into recovery.
bummer - tried that...same deal. wont let me boot into recovery....every time I run Odin, it passes me with flying colors.

bumming me out. Pretty sure Ive done everything correctly. Wondering if running Odin that first time around without having actually checked the PDA box is the culprit....

Thanks for trying.

dynospectrum
Old
Thanks Meter 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxToTheG View Post
bummer - tried that...same deal. wont let me boot into recovery....every time I run Odin, it passes me with flying colors.

bumming me out. Pretty sure Ive done everything correctly. Wondering if running Odin that first time around without having actually checked the PDA box is the culprit....

Thanks for trying.
I doubt it. Just ODIN official CWM or install TWRP, then use one of those recoveries to flash the latest PhilzTouch.

SGH-M919 / SlimKat 4.4.2 / KT-SGS4 Kernel

MaxToTheG
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynospectrum View Post
I doubt it. Just ODIN official CWM or install TWRP, then use one of those recoveries to flash the latest PhilzTouch.

SGH-M919 / SlimKat 4.4.2 / KT-SGS4 Kernel
Yup, you are correct - I DL'ed TWRP & finally got it all sorted. I have root now...suddenly the day seems a whole lot brighter

Stoked - thanks for all the insights, Much appreciated