5,596,066 Members 33,450 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Samsung Galaxy Trend = Samsung Galaxy S Duos!

Tip us?

vantt1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 151
Default Samsung Galaxy Trend = Samsung Galaxy S Duos!

As some of you may know, the Samsung Galaxy Trend GT-S7560 and the Samsung Galaxy S Duos GT-S7562 are very similar phones. They share the same phone cases, screen protectors and even the same digitizer panel. The only difference is that the Trend has only one SIM slot, whereas the S Duos has dual SIM functionality.

But did you know that the Galaxy Trend also has dual SIM slots? The second SIM slot is covered by the back housing. If you compare it side by side with the S Duos, you can see that the only difference is the SIM slot cutout in the housing. As seen here, the Galaxy S Duos has two SIM slots; one on top of the other.

The Galaxy Trend's housing has a slightly different cutout - it is raised so that the second SIM slot is hidden and inaccessible to the user.

But upon closer inspection, the Galaxy Trend actually has a second SIM slot once the housing is removed.

Given this fact, it means that it is entirely possible to upgrade the Galaxy Trend to an S Duos, simply by modifying the housing (or installing an S Duos housing entirely), and flash an S7562 ROM to get dual SIM settings.

Note that this has not been confirmed yet, as I only noticed this peculiarity when repairing a Galaxy Trend digitizer at work, and our supplier said that the S Duos screens are compatible with the Trend. All in all, I only worked with the phone for half an hour.

Why? Maybe the Trend is available in your region but the S Duos is not, because dual SIM smartphones aren't popular enough there. Or, you just want to get more out of your Galaxy Trend. People think they have no need for dual SIM phone, and Samsung wants to release a budget phone catering for those people. Why change an entire production line, when you could just block a SIM slot of an existing dual SIM phone and remove the settings in the software?

Previously Owned Phones:

Nokia 8310 | Sony Ericsson T68i | Samsung SGH-A701 | iPhone 3GS 32GB | Nokia N97 | Nokia X6 16GB

Current Android(s):
  • Samsung Galaxy Note II N7100 | RootBox v4.2 | SanDisk Class 10 Mobile Ultra 64GB MicroSDXC UHS-1

For added flamboyancy:
Old Androids:
  • Samsung Galaxy SII GT-i9100 (sold)
  • Samsung Galaxy SIII GT-i9305 4G LTE (given away (thread linked was removed by mod))

PerKakah
Old
Thanks Meter 1

DONATE TO ME
Does anyone try this? Im worried to brick my phone if i flash the rom..

MO7MD 5ALD
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I was going to buy Trend .. Now I will not

Sent from my GT-S6102 using xda app-developers app

vantt1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by MO7MD 5ALD View Post
I was going to buy Trend .. Now I will not

Sent from my GT-S6102 using xda app-developers app
Are you getting the S Duos instead?

Previously Owned Phones:

Nokia 8310 | Sony Ericsson T68i | Samsung SGH-A701 | iPhone 3GS 32GB | Nokia N97 | Nokia X6 16GB

Current Android(s):
  • Samsung Galaxy Note II N7100 | RootBox v4.2 | SanDisk Class 10 Mobile Ultra 64GB MicroSDXC UHS-1

For added flamboyancy:
Old Androids:
  • Samsung Galaxy SII GT-i9100 (sold)
  • Samsung Galaxy SIII GT-i9305 4G LTE (given away (thread linked was removed by mod))
Tags
dual sim, galaxy s duos, galaxy trend, s7560, s7562