Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,051 Members 53,486 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How often does your RAM go over 90% used?

Tip us?

Neo3D
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete4k View Post
If you have root you can freeze apps you never use and I disagree it doesn't affect the system performance. On a boot up just about every application loads into memory and that's plain stupid, since most of those apps I never ever use. I was actually shocked when I looked at application manager and everything was loaded into memory. It was main reason I rooted my phone, to freeze all the garbage and bloat on my phone. You can also delete some of the stuff, but it gets little complicated if you delete wrong app and then other things don't work no more. I don't know if they load all programs into memory because of "just in time" compiler, another idiotic idea, why compile program once, when we can compile and waste time, every time we start the program. When new, my phone would use about 70% of memory right from the boot and would go to 90% over time, now I freeze just the most obvious stuff and start at 40% memory load. There is a spreadsheet listing all apps, what they do if they can be safely removed, it could help you get better control of your phone.
Which spreadsheet do you mean? Is it an accurate spreadsheet as to what we can freeze? Oh, do you need root to freeze?

denski101
Old
(Last edited by denski101; 4th February 2014 at 06:23 AM.)
Thanks Meter 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete4k View Post
On a boot up just about every application loads into memory and that's plain stupid, since most of those apps I never ever use. I was actually shocked when I looked at application manager and everything was loaded into memory.
^ This
I've just recently installed boot manager(requires root + xposed framework) to combat this very problem. It doesn't stop system apps from starting just user downloaded ones. TBH I haven't noticed any effect on the battery or the speed of the phone. Just when I restart, the phone has more free memory.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to denski101 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nicholaschum
Old
Thanks Meter 1360

DONATE TO ME
I was on 4.3 MJ1 rooted and every day I would go up to 90% as it would notify me on the bar to clean.

Now I'm on 4.4 NA6 rooted and I don't get the popup anymore, the 340mb RAM bump is quite useful.
Problem with ROMs? Try this. Still no? Ask me on Google+!
Root/TWRP/Kernel/ROM/Downgradable and KNOX 0x0 on N900W8? My guide.

Phone: Note 3 - Rogers SM-N900W8
C-RoM v7.1, Temasek v3.76, TWRP 2.7.1, NA2 BL, NB7 Modem, KNOX 0x0

Tablet: Nexus 7 (2012)
PA 4.2 Beta 2, TWRP 2.7, Multiboot - UbTouch, Ub13.10, PA, CM11

Note 3 ◆ Xperia Tab P ◆ Nexus 7 ◆ Note II LTE ◆ S III LTE ◆ One X ◆ Note I ◆ Galaxy Nexus ◆ S II LTE ◆ S II

The Following User Says Thank You to nicholaschum For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Neo3D
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholaschum View Post
the 340mb RAM bump is quite useful.
What does that mean? KK uses 340mb less RAM?

pete4k
Old
Thanks Meter 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo3D View Post
Which spreadsheet do you mean? Is it an accurate spreadsheet as to what we can freeze? Oh, do you need root to freeze?
here is the spreadsheet listing apps, what they do and if they're safe to remove or freeze, it is not complete but good starting point. Just be careful, don't touch stuff you're not sure about.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2470862

Since Google, just like Crapple thinks all their users are idiots and should be saved from themselves, yeah you need to root to just do anything on your phone. You can go to Application manager and force close programs you don't use without root but:
1. you need to do it every time phone starts one by one
2. some programs will restart by themselves anyway
When you freeze, you do it once and that's it. ROM Toolbox has pretty much all you need.
As far as 4.4 goes, yep you may get some RAM back but pretty much loose access to your SD card, if you have one, something like going from shower into the rain
The Following User Says Thank You to pete4k For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nicholaschum
Old
(Last edited by nicholaschum; 4th February 2014 at 07:51 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1360

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
What does that mean? KK uses 340mb less RAM?

You get more RAM on KK. 340mb more.

Note 3 ◆ Xperia Tab P ◆ Nexus 7 ◆ Note II LTE ◆ S III LTE ◆ One X ◆ Note I ◆ Galaxy Nexus ◆ S II LTE ◆ S II

The Following User Says Thank You to nicholaschum For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Neo3D
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholaschum View Post

You get more RAM on KK. 340mb more.
But KitKat disables the micro SD card?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2613816

nicholaschum
Old
Thanks Meter 1360

DONATE TO ME
Quote:

MicroSD works on mine. Maybe its because of different variants. But I run custom ROM X-Note 8.0, and most of my media is in MicroSD.

pete4k
Old
Thanks Meter 55
Quote:

KK introduces new permission for SD card usage that breaks writing to SD for most 3rd party apps, you can fix it if you're rooted or run custom ROM, like above poster, but I don't think there is a way to root KK without tripping Knox flag and so you may be loosing your warranty.
I'm rooted on 4.3 and my flag is x0, so for me this is the way it will have to stay.
The Following User Says Thank You to pete4k For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

denski101
Old
(Last edited by denski101; 5th February 2014 at 08:21 AM.)
Thanks Meter 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by denski101 View Post
^ This
I've just recently installed boot manager(requires root + xposed framework) to combat this very problem. It doesn't stop system apps from starting just user downloaded ones. TBH I haven't noticed any effect on the battery or the speed of the phone. Just when I restart, the phone has more free memory.

Just to add to this.
Here's another app I've been using to clear ram.
Advanced Task Cleaner Pro (doesn't require root)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ht.taskcleaner

The advantage this app has over the regular way of clearing ram is that you can create an auto-kill list, which will stop apps from reloading back into the memory after being killed. It will show system as well as user apps and processes currently running.

Digging through the settings there's also a setting to clear ram on system startup(non-root alt to boot manager)

I myself have never got the "full or almost full" memory notification, so I quess I've never maxed out the ram. I think most of these memory/app killing apps(including the one above) are aimed at low and middle tier mobiles which don't have sufficient memory to cope with multitasking and background processes, without stuttering and slowing to a halt.

Since my battery life is good, and I'm more than happy with the phone's speed, I haven't got a real need to clear the memory all the time. I have a habbit of closing apps after using them, although leaving apps in the background and/or not clearing memory after closing will result in faster opening times. There are quite a few claims that these ram killer apps save massive amounts of battery and what not, from my end I don't see this, although its important to check for yourself and come to you own conclusions.

The Following User Says Thank You to denski101 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]