Post Reply

Less Invasive Tether than the hotspot hack?? Does one exist?

3rd February 2014, 07:09 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 13
 
134 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2009
I am looking for a less invasive tether than the hotspot hack for 4.4.2....

The reason is the hotspot hack prevents system updates and I want one like wifi tether that does not prevent system updates.


I am rooted SOFF Locked
I take OTA updates then go to fastboot and :
fastboot oem rebootRUU
fastboot flash zip recovery.zip
fastboot reboot

to get a recovery then install SU then I remove the customer recovery via the same method above.

I do this to run near complete stock. Ever since 4.3 I have not been able to get a working Hotspot unless I use the invasive method of the hotspot hack.

Does anyone have an alternative to the hotspot hack?
3rd February 2014, 07:17 PM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Flag U.S.A.
Thanks Meter: 69
 
437 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tws101

I am looking for a less invasive tether than the hotspot hack for 4.4.2....

The reason is the hotspot hack prevents system updates and I want one like wifi tether that does not prevent system updates.


I am rooted SOFF Locked
I take OTA updates then go to fastboot and :
fastboot oem rebootRUU
fastboot flash zip recovery.zip
fastboot reboot

to get a recovery then install SU then I remove the customer recovery via the same method above.

I do this to run near complete stock. Ever since 4.3 I have not been able to get a working Hotspot unless I use the invasive method of the hotspot hack.

Does anyone have an alternative to the hotspot hack?

Define "Invasive"?
3rd February 2014, 07:21 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 13
 
134 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkt97401

Define "Invasive"?

Manipulates the OS in a way that I am unable to take an OTA.
3rd February 2014, 07:25 PM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Flag U.S.A.
Thanks Meter: 69
 
437 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tws101

Manipulates the OS in a way that I am unable to take an OTA.

I think even the standalone tether apps install libs in the OS. I'm not sure if that would affect the ability to take an OTA as I am definitely not stock haha. I think you're SOL if you want to stay completely stock.
3rd February 2014, 07:59 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 13
 
134 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkt97401

I think even the standalone tether apps install libs in the OS. I'm not sure if that would affect the ability to take an OTA as I am definitely not stock haha. I think you're SOL if you want to stay completely stock.

The Wifi Tether App (For Root Users) would allow OTAs to go through... I just can't get it to work on 4.3 or 4.4.2
3rd February 2014, 09:50 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 13
 
134 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkt97401

I think even the standalone tether apps install libs in the OS. I'm not sure if that would affect the ability to take an OTA as I am definitely not stock haha. I think you're SOL if you want to stay completely stock.

What stand Alone tether App are working? I can't find one....
4th February 2014, 09:22 PM   |  #7  
Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
42 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2009
TetherFY worked for me when I was stock (rooted)
5th February 2014, 03:17 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 13
 
134 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jac1599

TetherFY worked for me when I was stock (rooted)

Just says I am not subscribed.

Do you have a working hotspot hack for 4.4.2... Even with that hack it looks like it is working but I can't get any throughput.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes