[Q] Verizon Note 3 Cyanogenmod Question

5th February 2014, 12:26 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
I am brand new to these boards and usually don't ask questions. I am pretty tech savvy but cannot code or anything like that. I don't mind rooting a phone and flashing a custom ROM. I am currently using the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon and love having pretty much stock android but the phone is starting to feel slow. I want to upgrade to the Note 3 because I love the hardware specs. However, I hate what Samsung did to it with TouchWiz. I don't really have time to debug or troubleshoot a ROM. My question revolves around the Cyanogenmod build for this phone. I read that they release a nightlie for it but when you go to the webpage its not listed as an available device. Does this mean that they are still working on an "official version"? I would like to get the phone as close to AOSP as possible and have it fully functional. I understand that all the Samsung stuff will be removed which I am fine with. This is probably basic to most of you but any guidance on what my best option would be greatly appreciated.
5th February 2014, 12:46 AM   |  #2  
Columbus, Indiana
Thanks Meter: 439

1,757 posts
More
There are official nightlies, but only for the Developer Edition phone. The Verizon Retail version has a locked bootloader and can only flash ROMs with a stock kernel.

The DE (unlocked bootloader) is only available from Samsung, and is currently out of stock/backordered. EBay or Swappa are about the only way to come by one now.
5th February 2014, 12:53 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 797

2,122 posts
what cam30era said.

If you want a full custom ROM that only functions correctly by using a custom kernel, you will need to buy a developer edition Note 3, not a retail device. This is a consequence of the fact that the VZW retail Note 3 has security protections that (have not been circumvented at this time and) prevent the booting of custom kernels.

It is my understanding that CM11 needs kernel features that are not present in the retail, stock (MI9, MJ7, or MJE) kernels. Whether this causes bootloops, UI framework crashes, or something more minor (loss of some functionality) I don't know.

My guess is there will be little motivation for CM11 to "officially" add the VZW Note 3 as long as it's secure boot locks remain un-hacked, as there aren't many dev-ed owners.

[OFFICIAL] CyanogenMod for DEVED VZW Note 3 (HLTEVZW) [2014-01-11]

good luck
5th February 2014, 05:08 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 2

22 posts
More
In my experience, most of the time, stock based ROMs run faster with better battery life over AOSP anyway.. but I've seen exceptions.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread