XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Tethering & Data Connection Issues

Tip us?

Verdigo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Exclamation [Q] Tethering & Data Connection Issues

So Im using stock ICS 4.0.4 from the latest OTA update and Im rooted. Everything usually works fine but every few weeks something happens to my ability to tether. Im using Wireless Tether for Root Users from https://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/ . Any other tethering app fails to work including FoxFi. I start tethering and get no errors and everything is fine for a minute. I have full connection and speed. After about 1 or 2 page loads my speed suddenly drops so low that web pages time out but skype and steam will stay connected but weatherbug will not. I can't actually call anyone on skype. Pings to google work with 100+ms. If I turn off the data connection on my phone and turn it back on then I can load pages but again for only a minute or a few page loads. If I reboot my phone then I have no problems at all until I turn on the tethering app. I can do speed test after speed test with 15-24 Mbps download and roughly the same upload. Until I turn on that tethering app. By Turn on I mean press the button to start tethering. Turning off the tethering does not restore normal connection until I either turn the data connection off/on or reboot the phone. My settings from the app are:

Profile: Generic ICS/JB (wlan0)
Setup Method: Auto
Wifi Encryption: Enabled @ WPA2-PSK
Wifi-Driver Reload 1 and 2 checked
Keep Alive Checked
MSS Clamping: Checked
Routing fix: Checked
Using google DNS Servers
Disable Wake-Lock: Checked

I've tried changing DNS servers but I can resolve google's IP during the ping test. I've tried other profiles but this one is the only one that works. I've uninstalled and reinstalled and did a factory reset with no luck. After a day or 2 the problem seems to mysteriously disappear and things return to normal. I've got the old unlimited data plan I was originally forced into from Verizon. I've been told by several Verizon reps that they cannot throttle my connection for any reason and I do not have any sort of limit due to licensing agreements with the FCC. Since everything works fine before turning on tethering (I used the phone for hours) then it sounds like something the app is doing to the phone's settings. Verizon says there are no outages in the area but I didn't think that was the issue anyways since turning off the data connection and back on gives me a normal connection for a minute. While this does go away after a day or 2 thats a couple days without internet. I would appreciate any help I could get with it at this point as hours and hours of google searches returned a few people having the issue but no working solutions other than getting a different phone. Does anyone have an ideas? Thanks.

disconnecktie
Old
Thanks Meter 993
Change the profile to the rezound and disable mss clamping. I had issue with the tether doing the same thing when mss clamping was enabled.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

FLYTRVP
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnecktie View Post
Change the profile to the rezound and disable mss clamping. I had issue with the tether doing the same thing when mss clamping was enabled.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
you will have to use a different usb port or a different usb cord

Problem solved

disconnecktie
Old
Thanks Meter 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYTRVP View Post
you will have to use a different usb port or a different usb cord

Problem solved
He's using wireless tethering. No USB required.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

FLYTRVP
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
He's using wireless tethering. No USB required.

Oops Well i guess you have to use different tethering software to make it work

disconnecktie
Old
Thanks Meter 993
Quote:
Oops Well i guess you have to use different tethering software to make it work
Possibly but this same issue has been noted for several other users. I happen to be one of them that seems to get throttled at times. It usually happens when I tethered using lte and used it for some high bandwidth stuff like gaming or streaming movies. The thing is that Verizon does something called bandwidth shaping which causes them to slow your speeds based on the traffic in your area.

FLYTRVP
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
possibly but this same issue has been noted for several other users. I happen to be one of them that seems to get throttled at times. It usually happens when i tethered using lte and used it for some high bandwidth stuff like gaming or streaming movies. The thing is that verizon does something called bandwidth shaping which causes them to slow your speeds based on the traffic in your area.

Sent from my one using tapatalk
are you using a custom rom? If so go into setting and change the processing style. Like the style, governor.
The Following User Says Thank You to FLYTRVP For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

disconnecktie
Old
Thanks Meter 993
Quote:
are you using a custom rom? If so go into setting and change the processing style. Like the style, governor.
The CPU governor has nothing to do with the data side haha. It is just something vzw does and they don't do it to everyone though. I could tether to my ps3 and play call of duty over lte and get lag. Switch to 3g and be perfectly fine.

The Following User Says Thank You to disconnecktie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]