Surface 2 (ARM) Jailbreak question

Tip us?

sundar2012
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Default Surface 2 (ARM) Jailbreak question

Hi,
I'm a long time android guy who is thinking about making the switch. I'm a noob to the new windows and I had a few questions about the Surface 2 (with Tegra 4).

* Can I jailbreak with Surface 2 running the latest version of 8.1 RT?
* Can I easily un-jailbreak the Surface 2 running 8.1 RT if I want to go back? Is there such a thing as a nandroid/recovery backup like there is on android?

Finally, I could just pony up the extra cash and go pro 2. Is the weight and battery life tradeoff worth it (looking for your personal opinions here since i know it really varies)?

Thanks in advance!

Secondary Devices
Nexus 7 running ParanoidAndroid
Jailbroken iPhone 4
Jailbroken iPad 3

Previous Phones
HTC G2/Desire Z
Motorola Cliq (worst device I have ever had the misfortune to own)
HTC G1

SixSixSevenSeven
Old
Thanks Meter 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundar2012 View Post
RT 8.1 patched out the old jailbreak and a new 8.1 compatible jailbreak has not been released so sadly no you cannot jailbreak a surface 2 yet (as it cannot be downgraded to 8.0 either).

mamaich
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 208

DONATE TO ME
It may be possible to use a win8.0 WIM file from the original Surface with drivers from Surface 2 (ARM). But you'll need to take the needed drivers from C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\ of surface2 (there are lots of drivers there, you'll need to take only surface2-specific, sort folders by date, the surface 2 drivers should be "on top") and integrate them into WIM with DISM. This is a bit tricky - but possible for advanced users.
Probably you'll get the un-activated Windows 8.0.

mcosmin222
Old
Thanks Meter 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundar2012 View Post
Hi,
I'm a long time android guy who is thinking about making the switch. I'm a noob to the new windows and I had a few questions about the Surface 2 (with Tegra 4).

* Can I easily un-jailbreak the Surface 2 running 8.1 RT if I want to go back? Is there such a thing as a nandroid/recovery backup like there is on android?

Finally, I could just pony up the extra cash and go pro 2. Is the weight and battery life tradeoff worth it (looking for your personal opinions here since i know it really varies)?

Thanks in advance!
If you want media consumption and battery life (usually what android is used for anyway), getting a baytrail atom tablet would be better off than both RT and pro 2.

If you plan on doing productivity and things which require the raw power of an I5, then go for the pro 2.