XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[NOOB Guide] Installing custom roms

Tip us?

Sammy_052
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Cool [NOOB Guide] Installing custom roms

Hi guys, I'm one of the testers of Supreme bean v5 rom before it was approved to go online, and I observed the forum and a lot of people have a lot of questions about installing the rom and the Note 3 package.

So, I'm sharing with you what needs to be done in order to install the right way, get the max performance, batt life, how to avoid FCs and some known errors, ways to correct them and what to expect from the device + some mods you would like to have

This Guide can also be followed for Hurricane rom, Phoenix, Jellykat, Dr. Ketan's and all possible roms out there with of course, logical reasoning required

And make sure you read the entire post as it will save you a lotttt of google searches and time searching for answers.

Please also note that following these methods will void your warranty, so dont tell me later I never told you so
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Step 1

Case 1> You are coming from Android v4.1, not rooted, not modified
a) Then you would have to update the bootloader to mj5 which is available in this forum as well as install wifi patch.
b) Then you would also have to install a custom recovery such as Philz or twrp And this will be done through ODIN.

Case 2> your warranty is already void and have a custom recovery in place

Before install, super wipe. And I dont mean just clearing cache, preload and system folders. Use of Philz recovery recommended, update to the latest if possible. Use the "clean to install new rom" option under wipe data/factory reset. I havent seen an other recovery that does a better job than philz. I've made thousands of flashes, and not once my EFS was affected.

After using the option clean to install a new rom, head over to the mounts and storage area and use the option "format /sdcard", before using this option though, make sure you backup the folders pictures, DCIM and whatsapp if you plan on restoring the conversations that you've had. This is equally important if you play a lot of games. Games have a tendency to leave behind huge clusters of junk.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Step 2

Install the rom, and dont flash any mod or pack just yet, reboot. Allow the rom to complete all the necessary after install procedures. Complete setup and just make sure play store updates itself and camera is working all right.

To install mods or Note 3 pack or a custom kernel, reboot now to recovery
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Step 3

Installing Note 3 pack:

On roms such as Phoenix, Jellykat, Xperiazised rom, note 3 pack comes as preinstalled. So, the further steps can be skipped until step 4.

in case of Supremebean, as @geekynoob is working on his Note 3 pack, he suggests to use either Tamirda's or Hurricane's Note 3 pack.

Installing note 3 pack increases ram consumption and battery consumption, and puts in some bloat which might give errors so proceed only if there is an absolute need for note 3 pack, otherwise can be skipped.

Considering the fact that we install Note 3 pack, it is done in 2 ways,
1> right after flashing rom, flashing note 3 pack without reboot
2> complete rom setup and then flash note 3 pack with reboot

Although I recommend the second method, the first one is also quite possible if you just want to save some time. However, during setup, when asked to sign in to samsung account, skip that. As cloud services are natively missing in the rom, You will receive a "network error" toast notification during sign in. So, skip that. Rest is as normal. Follow the on screen instructions.

Now the rom has to be pretty much setup to your requirements
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Step 4- Mods

1> To change DPI

There are 3 ways of doing this
a) build.prop edit
b) installing a 240 dpi mod pack
c) using Texdroider dpi

Although all the 3 methods do the same job, i would not recommend the second method as it installs system files which can be much older than the rom base and can lead to some FCs or errors. Now if you find the first method too tedious, use the app called Texdroider dpi from play store to do that job. Its as easy as install, change values and reboot. Its the easiest way to change dpi on any rom,

2> Customization

To everyone who hates the stock look, or if looking for something different, use xposed module. I prefer wanam by choice as almost every option in it works. There are options available such as gravitybox, xblast and others which do the similar job. Here, you will be the best judge on what you want, and how you like the rom to be and function.

3> Custom kernels

There are options of Kernels available, but I personally prefer Agni. Tried almost all kernels possible out there on all the roms, and I mean literally. And Agni give me the best out the best possible batt performance and enhanced smoothness.

Use these settings in Agni as recommended by geekynoob
"Profile- normal
CPU governor- yanks zzmove
Max CPU freq- 1600mhz
CPU undervolting to -30mv
Gpu -50mv
Min 200mhz
Touch 2 wake off
Lmk medium
Power saving balancer set to max"

4> Disable motion, NFC, Air Gestures and all possible things that you dont use as it consumes CPU usage and battery as well.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thats is guys. These are all the suggestions that I can think of at the moment. If you need anything else, let me know, by replying to this post.

Have fun customizing the rom.

And as always, thank me if this post helped you.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sammy_052 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Sammy_052
Old
(Last edited by Sammy_052; 4th February 2014 at 12:59 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Talking Some of my Screenshots

Some of my screen shots

canneil2
Old
Thanks Meter 0
You just saved me! thanks alot!