Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,512 Members 42,545 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Want to convert MKV to smaller files. What vid quality is decent for KFHD 7?

Tip us?

yazyazoo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default Want to convert MKV to smaller files. What vid quality is decent for KFHD 7?

I have a 3yr old daughter that loves her Kindle Free Time on the Kindle Fire HD (2012). However the one thing that sucks is that when we are in a car she doesn't have access to videos that come with Kindle Free Time. I only have a 16gb Kindle and want to be able to put a few videos onto the Kindle so she can have something to watch in the car.

Most of my movies are 4-6gb 720p MKV rips. I want to re encode to mp4 and have smaller file sizes so I can fit more movies onto the Kindle. I am using Handbrake to do this but was wondering what would be the best settings to hopefully get the file sizes around 700mb and still have at least DVD quality. I assume the streaming videos that I see like Blues Clues and Sesame Street on Kindle Free Time must be about DVD quality.

What are the best settings you guys are using to make smaller files?

mms047
Old
Thanks Meter 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by yazyazoo View Post
I have a 3yr old daughter that loves her Kindle Free Time on the Kindle Fire HD (2012). However the one thing that sucks is that when we are in a car she doesn't have access to videos that come with Kindle Free Time. I only have a 16gb Kindle and want to be able to put a few videos onto the Kindle so she can have something to watch in the car.

Most of my movies are 4-6gb 720p MKV rips. I want to re encode to mp4 and have smaller file sizes so I can fit more movies onto the Kindle. I am using Handbrake to do this but was wondering what would be the best settings to hopefully get the file sizes around 700mb and still have at least DVD quality. I assume the streaming videos that I see like Blues Clues and Sesame Street on Kindle Free Time must be about DVD quality.

Use Any Video Converter or Xilsoft Video Converter to convert files in your pc.

♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣
♠Learning to be a Pro... ♠
♥Don't hesitate to press thanks if someone is worthy of it... ♥

Galaxy Young GT-S5360

Wanna visit my font collection thread for SGY/SGY Duos? Then Click Me!!!

BookCase
Old
(Last edited by BookCase; 4th February 2014 at 08:06 AM.)
Thanks Meter 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by yazyazoo View Post

The best app to use that I found is Handbrake. I was using Any Video Converter before but, could only fit like 3-4 videos on the KF at a time and then my brother told me about Handbrake. It converts the videos quickly and has presets that make it very simple. It also makes them very small so you can fit many more on the device at once.
Quote:
HandBrake is a tool for converting video from nearly any format to a selection of modern, widely supported codecs. It is Free and Open Source. Multi-Platform (Windows, Mac and Linux)
Try different presets.

Sophos Antivirus Needs Beta Testers
-

-

jmolinuevo
Old
Thanks Meter 5
For kids movies I use ipod preset. Bad quality, but enough for them and I prefer lower size. If you prefer quality, try high profile. Try first both profiles in a short video and choose.

Sent from my C2105 using Tapatalk

yazyazoo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Thanks will try those presets in handbrake.