5,606,722 Members 37,593 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Bluetooth 4 /Android 4.3 update - does The Xperia Z1 now support Bluetooth Smart?

Tip us?

zimbashka
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumerland View Post
I would like to understand whether it's possible to activate bluetooth 4 and bluetooth "classic" individually. The background: I want to use a bluetooth 4 tag in combination with tasker to automate certain things once the tag is within reach. I got a Texas Instruments SensorTag which is recognized by the Z1 and can be accessed via the TI software. Tasker is currently being improved to play with BT4 devices. The issue is that there is just a single bluetooth switch within Android, but of course I want to avoid the power hungry classic bluetooth and use bluetooth instead.

Any ideas if there is a solution? Maybe via an Xposed module?

Cheers,
Torsten
It is already BT 4.0 as long as device you use has it too, no further activation needed. If you try to use it with device that has older version like BT 2.1 functionality of BT 4.0 will be downscaled to work with older version.
Phones owned: Siemens A35,C35,A55,M55,C62,C65,M65; Alcatel 310; Samsung A800; Nokia 5210; LG TU720; BB 9530,9800;Sony Ericsson Z520a, W580i, Xperia X10a;
Still keeping: Sony Xperia S (Lt26i), Sony Xperia Z1(C6906).
The Following User Says Thank You to zimbashka For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sumerland
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbashka View Post
It is already BT 4.0 as long as device you use has it too, no further activation needed. If you try to use it with device that has older version like BT 2.1 functionality of BT 4.0 will be downscaled to work with older version.
Many thanks! This sounds good! To be fully sure: once a BT2.1 device disconnects, BT falls "back" to 4.0? The longer I think about it I wonder whether it really makes a difference if a phone waiting for a connection is using BT2.1 or BT4.0. Do the 4.0 improvements have an effect on the power consumption before the connection is established?

zimbashka
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumerland View Post
Many thanks! This sounds good! To be fully sure: once a BT2.1 device disconnects, BT falls "back" to 4.0? The longer I think about it I wonder whether it really makes a difference if a phone waiting for a connection is using BT2.1 or BT4.0. Do the 4.0 improvements have an effect on the power consumption before the connection is established?

It is more like imposed limits by older version go away. Power consumption in BT 4.0 is more like: little power used to connect, pair and then it uses more power when large amount of information needs to be transferred (like opening higher bandwidth based on Wi-Fi that uses more power for shorter period of time). While discovering device awaits connection it consumes very little of battery on either 2.1 or 4.0. from what I can see versions of BT evolve in added functionality that is based mainly on transfer rate as well as better power management.

Here more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth
Phones owned: Siemens A35,C35,A55,M55,C62,C65,M65; Alcatel 310; Samsung A800; Nokia 5210; LG TU720; BB 9530,9800;Sony Ericsson Z520a, W580i, Xperia X10a;
Still keeping: Sony Xperia S (Lt26i), Sony Xperia Z1(C6906).
The Following User Says Thank You to zimbashka For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]